• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Show us your hamburger!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you melt the bottom?
Room temp cheese, toast the bun a bit, and put a hot patty on top of it. Does a decent job, but not as good as the top cheese. I'm not picky though, as long as the cheese isn't cold/hard.

James

Out There
Instructor
So what are people’s techniques for knowing their burger is medium or medium rare?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So what are people’s techniques for knowing their burger is medium or medium rare?
I push on them gently with the flipper. Gauge the relative firmness. ( Definitely an acquired skill....;) I do the same for steaks.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I’m going to have to learn the proper squish test. There’s fewer complaints when they’re overdone though. I also can’t really see red or pink very well.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I burn the crap out of them... I can do the firmness test though with the flipper. Years of experience..

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I burn the crap out of them... I can do the firmness test though with the flipper. Years of experience..

Sounds like my wife’s family. They use smoke detectors to figure out when to take things out of the oven. :doh:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Time on the grill is how I do it and depending on the fat content. The 80/20 cooks a little faster due to the flare up of the fat burning. Three to four minutes on the first side, a little less on the second side if you grill with the grill lid closed. That cooks the burger just the way I like them.

Uncle-A

Skier
^ That relys on a bun that holds together. Many “fancy” burgers fail badly when they use brioche buns that fall apart after two bites.
Since the bun is an important part of the burger I am glad you brought it up. I like to use a hard roll, but I don't cut in the middle I cut it very close to the bottom and scoop out some of the bread from the top. I find it holds the burger well and any topping you choose with out a lot of slipping of the entire creation and a little less bread in not a bad thing.

Uncle-A

Skier
Some good steak houses will spread some butter on the steak as soon as it comes off the grill and I have done that to a steak myself. Has anyone tried it on a burger?

Uncle-A

Skier
Just a hamburger question.
If you have a slice of fresh tomato to put on your burger do you still put ketchup on it? Because I thought that ketchup was invented as a substitute for when fresh tomatoes were not available all year long.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Just a hamburger question.
If you have a slice of fresh tomato to put on your burger do you still put ketchup on it?
I have been known to do that.

And looking it up, it looks like keeping ketchup ingredients fresh was also an issue early on. Seems as though it was meant to be a sauce, not really a replacement for tomatoes, though shelf life was part of its popularity.

Sponsor

Staff online