• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Show us your hamburger!

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So help me settle a family debate... cheese on bottom or on top?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Less is more.

Start with good burger, not too lean. Make 4 - 6 oz. patties, slightly concave (because they puff the other way when cooking). Smear with a very small amount of olive oil. Season generously with salt and freshly ground coarse pepper. Set aside at room temperature (unless your room is, you know, a hundred degrees) for 30 - 60 minutes.

Meanwhile make a fire from small hardwood or natural charcoal. Put grill on top to heat. When flames have died down cook the burgers just until juices appear at surface and they are no longer squashy to touch. Typically this is 3-4 minutes per side.

Allow to rest at room temp for at least five minutes. Never cover with foil. Serve on warm (or paper!) plates. Gussy if you must.*

* A sandwich using thin sourdough toast, homemade aioli, and a slice of garden tomato is good.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
The character of Wimpy from the Cartoon Popeye was interesting. I was told that in England the term they use for a hamburger is a wimpy. I never checked if that is true but I thought it fits the character.

Wimpy was the original UK sit down waitress service burger chain. I assume the name was derived from Popeye.

They still exist although I'm not quite sure where https://wimpy.uk.com/

as after the 1970s McDs and Burger King almost literally ate their lunch once they launched in the UK.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Less is more.

Start with good burger, not too lean. Make 4 - 6 oz. patties, slightly concave (because they puff the other way when cooking). Smear with a very small amount of olive oil. Season generously with salt and freshly ground coarse pepper. Set aside at room temperature (unless your room is, you know, a hundred degrees) for 30 - 60 minutes.

Meanwhile make a fire from small hardwood or natural charcoal. Put grill on top to heat. When flames have died down cook the burgers just until juices appear at surface and they are no longer squashy to touch. Typically this is 3-4 minutes per side.

Allow to rest at room temp for at least five minutes. Never cover with foil. Serve on warm (or paper!) plates. Gussy if you must.*

* A sandwich using thin sourdough toast, homemade aioli, and a slice of garden tomato is good.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Similar but after the flip i would quickly sear side 2 then add cheese and close the vents to give it some smoke while toasting the buns.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Wimpy was the original UK sit down waitress service burger chain. I assume the name was derived from Popeye.

They still exist although I'm not quite sure where https://wimpy.uk.com/

as after the 1970s McDs and Burger King almost literally ate their lunch once they launched in the UK.
That is probably correct that they took the name from the cartoon, and I think that the wimpy name is older. I think the cartoon borrowed the name from the Brits.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A few minor points: No leaf lettuce. Ketchup goes on bun that directly contacts burger, either top or bottom, your choice. The goal: avoid "slide zones".
Leaf lettuce and condiments on hard surfaces (onion/tomato) create a slippery layer that results in burger squirting out back of bun when chomped. Bad eating and messy!

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Coach13 and @Uncle-A have you been talking to my wife? :huh::)My cheese goes on the bottom... get to taste more of it that way

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I try not to mess with the ground beef too much and use a press to form the patties. Once they are made they sit in the fridge for 30 tp 60 minutes, I season them with a little kosher salt and pepper. I grill them until they bleed through one one side and then a little more than 1/2 that time on the opposite side... normally about 6 and 4 minutes, I’m definitely grilling some burgers this weekend after reading through this thread. :drool:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What type of press?
In the fridge are they uncovered to dry out?

Picked up on of those off of amazon on the recommendations of a few neighbors.
We cover the patties with foil or Saran Wrap while they are in the fridge.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I try not to mess with the ground beef too much and use a press to form the patties. Once they are made they sit in the fridge for 30 tp 60 minutes, I season them with a little kosher salt and pepper. I grill them until they bleed through one one side and then a little more than 1/2 that time on the opposite side... normally about 6 and 4 minutes, I’m definitely grilling some burgers this weekend after reading through this thread. :drool:
Wow, I thought I was the only one that cooks the second side less than the first. It is that great grilling people know that when the lid of the grill is closed the top of the burgers cook as well. Keep up the good work.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK looking for buns for these burgers..

1590785858424.png

"Good" steaks are getting harder to find. These aren't "great" but they'll do tonight.

Sponsor

Staff online