• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
1UYjuS+lQmiXa2fK9RByeg.jpg

I purchased it with 50K miles on it ... here are the specs for all who are interested.

Highlights

• Off-grid “Single Fuel” camper - the van itself and stove/heater run on diesel from the main tank. The rest of the van is powered by electricity generated by the solar array and van alternator.

• Beautiful custom bamboo woodwork throughout.

• Designed for full-time living with separate sleeping/living areas and tons of storage.

• Permanent short queen bed: avoid the hassle of setting up the bed every night and sleep in total comfort.

• No designated bathroom. The galley faucet is set up to double as an outdoor shower, and there is space to store a small cassette toilet if desired.

Van

• 2014 Ram Promaster 3500 159” High Roof 3.0L EcoDiesel.

• Purchased brand new from Ram dealership in May 2016.

• 49300 miles (Approx 3 years and 50k more miles remaining on drivetrain warranty).

• 21-24 mpg average fuel economy on trips.

• SuperSpring SumoSprings in the rear and SuperSpring helpers in the front.

• Stock size BFG KO2 all-terrain tires (approx 15K miles on tires).

• Approximate dry weight: 7500lb.

• Both driver and passenger front seats swivel; lowered seat bases were installed so the overall seat height is the same as stock.

• Custom floor liner for cab.

• RAM Mount phone mount on dash.

• Pro bottle Nalgene-sized cup holders in the cab.

• The van air conditioner is working very well and blowing cold.

Interior Build/Cabinetry

• 6’4” headroom in the living space.

• Fully insulated using rigid polyiso foam insulation (floor and ceiling) and thinsulate insulation (walls and ribs).

• Permanent “short queen” sized bed (6'2") with 8" memory foam mattress and storage underneath.

◦ Custom-built storage accessible from rear of van including two large drawers with locking slides.

◦ Storage is currently customized for climbing and skiing gear, but can be removed fairly easily if you want to customize it for bikes.

• Beautiful fully custom chocolate bamboo cabinetry with all premium soft-close hardware and stainless steel latches.

• Custom 1” bamboo waterfall countertop with built-in fold-out table.

• Large stainless steel sink and premium full-size faucet; faucet swivels and doubles as outdoor shower.

• Four-season modular water system with no exterior plumbing and insulated water storage.

◦ 4 x 5gal freshwater tanks (tank has to be switched out every 5 gal).

◦ 1 x 5gal greywater tank, or greywater can be routed directly through van floor.

• NovaKool R3800 3.5 cuft/100L DC fridge.

• Wallas XC Duo diesel cooktop and heater.

• Custom-built location for Berkey-style gravity filter.

• Fantastic Fan 7350 remote-controlled vent fan with insulated solid white cover and remote mounted above bed.

• CR Laurence window in slider with louvered, screened opening.

• Full LED lighting including dimmable LED light over dinette, dimmable LED light over galley, five primary overhead LED lights, and two reading lights in bedroom.

• Built-in hidden electronic floor safe for laptops and other valuables, as well as multiple hidden storage compartments.

• Vinyl plank flooring.

• AirVent window cab inserts; these are screened and louvered inserts that allow you to open the front windows for airflow.

• Double insulated window privacy covers with wood grain pattern on the inside for every window.

• Nest Protect smoke detector/alarm.

• AcuRite indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer and temperature gauge.

Electrical

• 310AH 12V AGM battery bank.

◦ Approx. 300 cycles to 30% depth-of-discharge on batteries.

• 400W of solar panels permanently mounted on roof.

• Battery isolator for charging from the alternator while driving.

• 15A shore power connection for charging from 120V AC outlet.

• Magnum Dimensions MMSA1012 1000W pure sine inverter.

• Bogart Engineering TriMetric battery monitor.

• GFCI-protected 120V AC outlets in dinette and galley.

• Four-port USB charging outlets in dinette and bedroom.

• 12V accessory outlet in dinette.

Connectivity

• WeBoost 4G-M Cellular Signal Booster with roof-mounted antenna.

• WiFi Ranger SkyPro WiFi Booster with roof-mounted antenna.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Whoa. Didn't realize ProMasters were available with a diesel option. This makes them very attractive from a winter-camping perspective (Webesto diesel furnace etc) if startup in cold weather isn't an option. FWD, diesel, and best headroom to overall height ratio in similar vans.

May I ask where you found it and ballpark price?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Whoa. Didn't realize ProMasters were available with a diesel option. This makes them very attractive from a winter-camping perspective (Webesto diesel furnace etc) if startup in cold weather isn't an option. FWD, diesel, and best headroom to overall height ratio in similar vans.

May I ask where you found it and ballpark price?

Yeah, I definitely didn't want a RWD van, and ballpark price was about the same as the smallest absolute bare-bones Sprinter 4x4.

I saw the van on Craigslist; it came from CA but had been crossposted on several sites including ebay. I flew to Vegas to meet the owner, and drove it back to CO that day. I had been looking very casually for a few years, and this one just seemed to jump out and tick all (well, most) of the boxes.

I'm still, um, testing the limitations of the vehicle. Only needed one tow so far. :ogcool: And that was mostly because a friendly hiker said, "Oh I have one of these! You need help?" and proceeded to back it into a ditch. :roflmao:I just have to be careful on dirt roads, once they hit a certain grade. It's a heavy vehicle, once it stops on an incline, um...

It drives great on highways, until above 10K altitude, then it gets a little slow. I can do the eastbound tunnel approach at about 50-55 mph. It has an automatic manual, which is different than the "manual" shifts like a Tiptronic or whatever. It is more like a manual without a clutch ... it has a "D" where it shifts for you, but I prefer "M." It does downshift for you in M. No "P." And it will roll backwards if you're at a stop sign on a hill.

Muleski

Inactive

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Coincidentally (I assume) one of the recent Vail Daily videos fits here.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
@SBrown, what an outstanding custom campervan. The quality looks very high end and getting a lightly used RV is better than buying a new as the original owner has already sorted out any problems or bugs.

The Promaster chassis is wider than the Sprinter and Ford Transit and because of the FWD, the floor is lower, offering easier entry with less of a step up.

Sprinter is a lot more expensive for repairs and maintenance than Promaster and there are far more dealers and repair shops vs Sprinter. Once you get into rural areas or around small cities, there are no Mercedes dealers.

You scored, big time.
:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
@SBrown, what an outstanding custom campervan. The quality looks very high end and getting a lightly used RV is better than buying a new as the original owner has already sorted out any problems or bugs.

The Promaster chassis is wider than the Sprinter and Ford Transit and because of the FWD, the floor is lower, offering easier entry with less of a step up.

Sprinter is a lot more expensive for repairs and maintenance than Promaster and there are far more dealers and repair shops vs Sprinter. Once you get into rural areas or around small cities, there are no Mercedes dealers.

You scored, big time.
:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:
So plush I'm not sure she still qualifies to wear that cap!

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

You scored, big time.

That's really nice to hear from you!

At the moment, van is at the dealer getting a sensor replaced. Someone backed another vehicle into it, so they had to call the body shop. Not sure how long she will be out of service. :doh:

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
Susan, nice rig! Funny enough, my plumber recommended the Promasters, he drives one for work and has another that he rigged up to camp in.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I am quietly watching for one of these. Chinook Baja Ford 1 ton 4X4, well built, they come with all of the trimmings,were built from 2000 to about 08, and should not break the bank.

Besides, what else on this thread has placed in an international auto rally?

chinook_baja_4x4_3.JPG

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
While visitng Acadia I saw a lifted Mercedes Sprinter camper. Pretty cool looking vehilce. It's like the A Team got jobs in finance and moved to the suburbs.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I am quietly watching for one of these. Chinook Baja Ford 1 ton 4X4, well built, they come with all of the trimmings,were built from 2000 to about 08, and should not break the bank.

Besides, what else on this thread has placed in an international auto rally?
Found one for you at https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/rvs/d/2003-baja-chinook-4x4-fully/6652120496.html
But not only do they want $65K, with a V-10, 4X6 and empty weight of 11K lbs. it will be expensive to drive very far.

Sponsor