• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting the level of interest in this rig. Winnebago didn't know if they could get the outdoor crowd to take interest ( I guess they had been catering to those who want to take the great indoors with them). Some dealers chose not to carry the Revel. They are now pretty much sold out through February, and WGO says it is the highest demand they ever had for a new model.

There have been some customizers making this sort of thing for awhile, Sportsmobile for one. I guess they are booked a year out now.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Winnebago does a pretty nice job on most of the stuff they build. What is unique is the really do build it and don't just assemble parts.

Good choice.

They do the big things well----the side panels, the bed, the heat, etc., but a talented person could build a nicer one from the parts they assemble. The solar system is Zamp from Bend, Or. The heater from Sandy Or. The awning from Colorado, the bed from Euro-loft. The only thing Winnebago really builds is some cheap cabinetry. Well, that and the fact that they do work all that wiring and plumbing in an integrated manner. Me, I'd do a crappy job and be dead before I got it finished.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I've got a camper van. It couldn't be more on the other-end of the spectrum than newfy's.

Let me assemble some pics...

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Here's Storm, a 2001 Chevy Astro who does 40-50 nights a year of camping, split pretty evenly between chasing snow and dirt.

Basic info:
- 160k miles. ish.
- AWD.
- 2.5" lift in the front (Torsion key + small spacer), 3" lift in back (coilover springs)
- Swivel front seats
- Seats 5 (legally, in its normal configuration. 8 with seat popped back in which takes 5min.)
- Sleeps 2 + dog.
- Not pictured: Thule cargo box. Rear bike rack. Thule is now on there all the time, bike rack is on there all summer.

p5g66Xd.jpg

IHu4NIE.jpg

7JcWO19.jpg

The "vanbox" packed for the weekend. This box has a lot of purposes: it stores our cooler, bedding, and other odds and ends. It's a table either lengthwise (as pictured) or turned 90-degrees between the two seats. It's also the last 2' of our bed platform (as seen below)
7H22Li3.jpg

ezMUlSp.jpg

Breakfast (coffee, oatmeal, fruit) before my first powder day at Steamboat with @Ron
26239387_10101423866985970_4289851920652907631_n.jpg

The first 2' of our bed platform are another table built in the back. This is easily pulled out when we want a little table at camp, but mostly lives in the van. It's useful for putting groceries on, keeping wet and dry stuff seperate, or extra prep space while cooking.
humNVy5.jpg

A general idea of the bed laid out.
7fK2oYE.jpg

Out back we've got a small pop-up table on the door. This is used mostly for cooking, or holding beers. It's covered by the rear hatch so ain't a bad place to cook in light rain or snow.
jsHhpb5.jpg

Other fancy modifications include an interior hatch release for opening the rear in the morning without getting out of bed.
PhSORJU.jpg

And a walmart special $14 awning made from a tarp, two extendable painters sticks, and some cord. Photo from outside Jackson where we were staying for a black tie wedding.
19420773_10101233224604830_5705766207775604436_n.jpg

19424115_10101233224584870_4350787786634346883_n.jpg

This will be the van (assuming it makes it!) for my little gemsinavan project this upcoming winter. I'll need to take current pics and do a walk through of how we make it all work for pretty comfy winter camping in the near future.

Here she is as of last weekend on a little bike adventure.
Q10e1M3.jpg

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@newfydog Out of curiosity, what pushed you to the Winnebago over Sportsmobile?

The year wait as much as anything. There are some darn nice Sportsmobiles, as well as some which are really funky conversions. If I knew more about vehicles I would have felt better about trying to evaluate the various 4X4 conversions, but I figured the Mercedes Sprint is proven entity, and ready to go.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
They do the big things well----the side panels, the bed, the heat, etc., but a talented person could build a nicer one from the parts they assemble. The solar system is Zamp from Bend, Or. The heater from Sandy Or. The awning from Colorado, the bed from Euro-loft. The only thing Winnebago really builds is some cheap cabinetry. Well, that and the fact that they do work all that wiring and plumbing in an integrated manner. Me, I'd do a crappy job and be dead before I got it finished.

Where I was headed is that they MAKE a lot of the parts and components and always have. Throughout the RV industry obtaining replacement for after a time can be a real issue for holding tanks and the like. Winnie makes their own, very unique, and they can remanufacture one in the future. Their wall cutting system (cutting out the openings is top of the line as well. I sold a lot of their stuff over 25 years.

TS
newfydog

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've got a camper van. It couldn't be more on the other-end of the spectrum than newfy's.

Let me assemble some pics...

Both my wife and I had the other end of the spectrum. I had an old Ford Econoline in 1978, and she came with a home-made VW camper, with an exciting exploding engine.. We had a good time with those rigs, I'd say the bar is set pretty high for this one to live up to.

Looking forward to seeing yours!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@jmeb Does your van have more stickers on it now and were you driving it in Golden on Sunday afternoon? If so, I think I may have been behind you. In fact, I noticed the van and thought of you but I was thinking yours was green or blue.

Oh, and extendable painter sticks for tarp/rainfly poles? BRILLIANT. I already have one (for painting) but will pick up a couple more before my next camping trip. I often struggle with tree locations for weather protection.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks @newfydog for the sprinter STOKE:yahoo:It looks beautiful !!
Our ( slightly more basic ) sprinter 4x4 crew is being built as we speak and due to arrive in late August, early September. I'll be happy just booting up inside, doing ski in ski out lunch breaks and having the quiver at the ready. Icing on the cake for us is that the NY dealer is having it delivered to us in Billings MT,
We will be be residing in Big Sky in 33 days and loving the no state sale tax on the purchase.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@coskigirl -- don't think that was me; furthest West I made it on sunday was the Wadsworth Home Depot where I utilized one of my favorite van features: hauling full uncut sheets of plywood home. (Not many trucks that can fit an 8' sheet inside anymore.)

It's a versatile setup. There is something to be said for a burlier setup like an ARB awning. But they can be quickly moved around, parts replaced locally, setup separately from the van etc etc etc.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where I was headed is that they MAKE a lot of the parts and components and always have. Throughout the RV industry obtaining replacement for after a time can be a real issue for holding tanks and the like. Winnie makes their own, very unique, and they can remanufacture one in the future. Their wall cutting system (cutting out the openings is top of the line as well. I sold a lot of their stuff over 25 years.

some folks I work with just picked up a class A Winnebago this weekend. One big decision factor for them is the spare parts after the unit is out of production.

This is one big thing to me if you have any plans to keep a unit for a long long time. One big item for customers buying from for the company I work with is we support our hardware well past our production end.

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Helps that I'm left handed----those reels are all over ebay, and you know, they just work. Same with the Fenwick classic glass---the fly fishing world is seeing a renaissance in glass rods.. You won't see me on old straight skis, but I'm loving collecting and casting all the classic glass rods I could not afford as a kid.

I have the exact same rod and reel set up!