• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They are fun to ski. I skied them last week at Camelback PA with a few friends and a meet-up with a few guys from the NJ, PA, Del Mid Atlantic area. The Kastle Freestyle Pro is a 1980's twin tip that did everything a freestyle ski should. The older ski did tire me out faster and I should have used two pair that day. It was a weekday and we skied right on to the chair no real lines. That may have been part of why I was so tired, also got a ding on the bridge of my nose that day and the last few runs were a little tough but all and all a good day.
I didn't have the Freestyle Pro's but knew a few that did and they were coveted at Camelback in the early 80's for sure. Cool that they made a homecoming.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I didn't have the Freestyle Pro's but knew a few that did and they were coveted at Camelback in the early 80's for sure. Cool that they made a homecoming.
Philpug

I did not know you were from the east and knew of Camelback in PA and yes they are fun skis. One of the ski shops I worked in was a big Kastle dealer and I sold many of them as well as owning a few pair of different models of Kastle skis myself. Kastle are my favorite brand of skis and I have tried a pair of the Nordica skis not long after they purchased the old Kastle company. I have not tried any of the newer Kastle skis but would love to just have not been able to get to a demo day. If you ever get back this way and would like to take them for a spin just let me know.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Philpug

I did not know you were from the east and knew of Camelback in PA and yes they are fun skis. One of the ski shops I worked in was a big Kastle dealer and I sold many of them as well as owning a few pair of different models of Kastle skis myself. Kastle are my favorite brand of skis and I have tried a pair of the Nordica skis not long after they purchased the old Kastle company. I have not tried any of the newer Kastle skis but would love to just have not been able to get to a demo day. If you ever get back this way and would like to take them for a spin just let me know.
I grew up skiing Camelback. When The Hump was a gladed trail, you had to turn left or right at the bottom of Margies and the Asp had a huge elbow in it. Maybe you sold my friend Andy Shoemaker his is about 1980.

Uncle-A

Skier
I grew up skiing Camelback. When The Hump was a gladed trail, you had to turn left or right at the bottom of Margies and the Asp had a huge elbow in it. Maybe you sold my friend Andy Shoemaker his is about 1980.

The shop was in North Jersey and it was an authorized Kastle, Rossignol, and Spalding dealer. We were also able to make deals with other shops to get and sell Olin, Hexcel, K2, Volkl, Graves, and Fullplast. The boots we sold were Nordica, Caber, Trappeur, Kastinger, Lange, Dolomite, San Marco, Raichle, and Hanson at different times over 13 years. The bindings we carried were Look, Solomon, Tyrolia, Spademan, Burt, Allsop, and Besser. Poles by Scott, Kerma, K2, and Dover. The clothing lines by Beconta, Gerry, Obermeyer, Profile, Slalom, White Stag, and Woolrich. It was the best and the most fun of any shop I worked.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK retro purists.. Only 195 cm, but that's what size GS ski I was on in 1981 at 120 pounds hahaha. Also, 626 demo bindings, plastic hasn't exploded.... yet, but I will do my best to wreck them, probably at Blue Knob. I don't have room inside for much of a quiver these days so unless there is serious interest locally or at BK should I bring them these glorious relics will end up outside screwed to my fence with the other beauties of the past.
WP_20160213_001.jpg
WP_20160213_002.jpg

Ready to tune
WP_20160213_003.jpg

Tuned! Cut myself twice, not bad though, little nicks..
WP_20160213_004.jpg

Final observation putting them up.. These skis are amazingly lightweight!

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Honeycomb light. I'm looking forward to some turns on my Hexcels. I only need to mount the Spademan plates to the Scott boots.

Playing with fire.

Will you ski these? The Salomons are not unreasonable to use, even at their age.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I still remember the drill for mounting these honeycomb skis. After drilling the mount holes, you took a bent nail or equivalent and 'opened up' a cavity in the honeycomb core. Then fill that cavity with epoxy and mount the binding. Then turn the skis over on the binding so the epoxy would flow against the skis top skin before setting up and curing.
My Ramer Grand tour AT skis from that time were made by Hexcel, still remember the procedure.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Honeycomb light. I'm looking forward to some turns on my Hexcels. I only need to mount the Spademan plates to the Scott boots.

Playing with fire.

Will you ski these? The Salomons are not unreasonable to use, even at their age.
The first heels I exploded were 626. These look amazingly sound and not cracked. But one cold day can easily change that. I will take the risk to try and get a couple laps out of them. I always wanted to try a pair back in the day.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The first heels I exploded were 626. These look amazingly sound and not cracked. But one cold day can easily change that. I will take the risk to try and get a couple laps out of them. I always wanted to try a pair back in the day.

Unless I have good confidence in a ski I, too, only take some ceremonial runs with necessary care. The Hexcels and Scotts will be one of those I pamper unless the stars align properly while on the snow.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Yep, I'm not venturing out very far from base on them because I know I might be carrying one back. The bindings look and feel fine but those heels are notorious for failing at ten years or so. I'm not cranking up the din beyond 5 on the heels and will ski gingerly hahaha..

Uncle-A

Skier

Playing with fire.

Are you going to get those plates mounted before the end of the season? Does the Hexcel mounting process described by Bill sound familiar?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have had an offer of rental plates which sounds like less stress on the boot. I can pretty much guarantee I'll get out on them this season.

Yes, Bi'll's advice sounds quite familiar. I'm glad mine were already set up for Spademans. I just screwed them into the existing epoxy 'seat'.

I haven't forgotten I owe a Graves review. I'll probably take them out following our current snow when things are firm to give them a real test.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I have had an offer of rental plates which sounds like less stress on the boot. I can pretty much guarantee I'll get out on them this season.

Doug, I posted this to Phil's attention but you might also contact this person about Spademan rental plates at a low price.

PSA for @Philpug Spademan Rental Plates for the price of shipping! I almost sent a PM then remembered there are many others here that would actually ski them more than me..

http://www.epicski.com/t/115424/spademan-bindings#post_1968942
/QUOTE]

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Doug, I posted this to Phil's attention but you might also contact this person about Spademan rental plates at a low price.

I got these plates and bindings for a great price and because I do not a a suitable ski to mount them right now I have offered the lend Doug the plates for a while so he can ski the boot binding combo with out damagong the boots and also hopefully allowing the SCOTT boots to be skied with a bit less stress on them.

maybe I need to start a new thread all things spademan and get some advice on what skid to look for. watch for something in the future. I still have some catch up to do in the retro ski review thread. I've been a bit behind lately (but not in the back seat;))

Royal

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
All things Spademan? Go for it!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe I'll rebadge the junior bindings as SENIOR bindings. My recommended DIN is actually just under 7, skied the Hexels at 6.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Way wrong bindings but way sweet skis. Those are on par with the 626 for blowing apoart, I have some that were NIB and still were broken. 727E's are the binding of choice, to match the orange.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Way wrong bindings but way sweet skis. Those are on par with the 626 for blowing apoart, I have some that were NIB and still were broken. 727E's are the binding of choice, to match the orange.
Might be able to make 737E happen. Stay tuned.. I can see holes plugged under the Gezes in the high res photo.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I just pulled the trigger on these.. $75 delivered and for charity fundraiser according to the eBay listing..

s-l1600.jpg

I prefer these to the original Olin Mk IV. And 180cm is the magic length so put some proper bindings on them and KEEP them around for retro service :D

Sponsor

Staff online