• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Royal

UTAH
Skier
here is my "paneling" and "fence slats" don't worry, no worthy skis were harmed in the making of the fence;) I have skied every ski on the walls at least once. for me, I enjoy fixing up the skis with a full tune and wax, binding refurb or upgrade, and or remount to fit my boots. some are skied with modern boots some with vintage boots. I like to think I give each ski the oportunity to be it's best when I ski it. The paneling is ever changing as I have been able to move some pairs onto the care of others who will appreciate them too. and there are many pairs that never made it to the wall before they found new homes.

some of my favorites are he Dynamic VR17's, Fischer SUPERGLASS COMPETITION, Atomic RS(red sleds) Rossignol 4S, and Dynastar Course HP's

View media item 299View media item 298View media item 297

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Maybe this Obermeyer stuff belongs in the Vintage clothing thread, I think this was started as a hardware thread. We probably should not mix the software with the hardware.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Lowell and I were just talking about these. Anyone ski on these back in the day?
Blizzard Total Racer SL, 208cm

Blizzard Total Racer SL, 208.jpg

Uncle-A

Skier
Lowell and I were just talking about these. Anyone ski on these back in the day?
Blizzard Total Racer SL, 208cm

View attachment 2585
I used a demo pair of Blizzards that had the same diamond graphic only the color was red and white not black and orange they skied fine and a friend of mine bought them before I could ski them a second time.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I recently acquired these Graves. I skied them in about 4 inches of new snow and enjoyed the experience. I'll be looking forward to going out on firm snow in the future. The Killy two piece was a gift from a client and fits nicely. It is short some of the nicer modern features, but kept me warm and dry on a day with occasional snow.

Uncle-A

Skier
Doug

They will test your leg strength. How heavy are those? I do not think that there was a heavier ski on the market back in the 1970's. Did you ski them all day or just a few runs? Also they do break, don't believe the hype they are not indestructible.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
They didn't seem noticeably heavy. The 347 binding is a lot of plastic which may compensate for a heavy ski.

I skied 3 or 4 runs on them in 4" of wonderful CO powder at Ski Cooper. They were easy to get used. The edges at the tips were screwed in as a repair.

TS
Bill Talbot

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Well I FINALLY got a pair of Jet Stix in the working museum! Been looking for a long time. My originals cracked, as plastic things tend to do
20+ years later.
Remember when these, and of course Lange and others started make high(er) backed boots for the FRENCH technique in the early 70's?!
Rear waisted skis too as I recall :eek:. It was a scene man!

Jet Stix1.jpg
Jet Stix2.jpg
Jet Stix3.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I still want an Astraltune but even just the bags are going for stupid money.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Uncle-A

Skier
Well I FINALLY got a pair of Jet Stix in the working museum! Been looking for a long time. My originals cracked, as plastic things tend to do
20+ years later.
Remember when these, and of course Lange and others started make high(er) backed boots for the FRENCH technique in the early 70's?!
Rear waited skis too as I recall :eek:. It was a scene man!

View attachment 2789 View attachment 2790 View attachment 2791
They are in great shape for the early 70's and the original box with tags wow. Does the box have an original price tag because I seem to remember between $12 - $20 depending on the shop purchased.

Uncle-A

Skier
They didn't seem noticeably heavy. The 347 binding is a lot of plastic which may compensate for a heavy ski.

I skied 3 or 4 runs on them in 4" of wonderful CO powder at Ski Cooper. They were easy to get used. The edges at the tips were screwed in as a repair.

Yes, the S347 was a lot of plastic and very light but be careful with the binding heel it is a member of the Solomon exploding heel club. What length are the Graves Skis?

Now we have seen the "Heavy" outfit when are we going to see the "Light" outfit (Hexcel, Spademan, and Scotts)?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yes, the S347 was a lot of plastic and very light but be careful with the binding heel it is a member of the Solomon exploding heel club. What length are the Graves Skis?

Now we have seen the "Heavy" outfit when are we going to see the "Light" outfit (Hexcel, Spademan, and Scotts)?

The Graves are 200s. I was carrying around speed skis all (extended) weekend so the Graves didn't seem heavy. :) I understand the old plastic binding issues and am happy to live with them for the opportunity to relive the past. I don't ski them any harder than I'm willing to fall.

The Hexcels and Scotts are still a work in progress. I need to mount the butterfly plates to the boots, perhaps tune the skis and torque test them. While things may break, I also want to know they bindings will have a good chance of functioning when needed.

Uncle-A

Skier
The Graves are 200s. I was carrying around speed skis all (extended) weekend so the Graves didn't seem heavy. :) I understand the old plastic binding issues and am happy to live with them for the opportunity to relive the past. I don't ski them any harder than I'm willing to fall.

The Hexcels and Scotts are still a work in progress. I need to mount the butterfly plates to the boots, perhaps tune the skis and torque test them. While things may break, I also want to know they bindings will have a good chance of functioning when needed.

Speaking of the butterfly plates the point on the plate for the 5th screw if I remember correctly points to the heel not the toe.

What machine do you use to check your binding release? Something newer than Lippe check machine I hope.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of the butterfly plates the point on the plate for the 5th screw if I remember correctly points to the heel not the toe.

What machine do you use to check your binding release? Something newer than Lippe check machine I hope.

Thanks for the tip on the point. :-o

I'll use the Vermont Calibrator at the shop to test the bindings.

Uncle-A

Skier
WIN_20160120_122224.JPG
WIN_20160120_122211.JPG

Two photos of a retro Kastle Freestyle Pro / Look 99 with a fresh grind and wax I plan on skiing soon. Twin tips from the 1980's that must have had an earlier set of Look 77s and I was able to reuse most of the original holes.

Uncle-A

Skier
Those kastles are gorgeous!

They are fun to ski. I skied them last week at Camelback PA with a few friends and a meet-up with a few guys from the NJ, PA, Del Mid Atlantic area. The Kastle Freestyle Pro is a 1980's twin tip that did everything a freestyle ski should. The older ski did tire me out faster and I should have used two pair that day. It was a weekday and we skied right on to the chair no real lines. That may have been part of why I was so tired, also got a ding on the bridge of my nose that day and the last few runs were a little tough but all and all a good day.

Sponsor

Staff online