• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Should I worry about these edges getting thin?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have a Kastle BMX 108 that I bought 2 summers ago when Sports Traders Mall in Victoria B.C. went out of business. This ski is a used demo with edges so thin that I almost didn't buy the skis but since the price was $250Cdn with Marker K14 bindings I figured the bindings alone make the ski a good deal.

Here is the thing, the edges are sharp enough for a powder ski but the base has no structure whatsoever. (unlikely that the shop had a stone grinder so my guess is that these skis had a lot of belt sanding), so how important is it to get a stone grind? Will it absorb wax when there is no structure?

I have waxed and used them a few times last season and once or twice this season.

CuriousGeorge

Booting up
Skier
CM9vMVpFRzpdQzO33
LOL...ScotSkier post(s) made me chuckle, I'm in the same boat.

MVIMG_20180111_114424.jpg

These were picked up from him a number of years ago for teaching/exams/etc...

Dynastar FIS SL 165, similar deal ex WC guy's stock, they were certainly well used before they made it onto my feet.

~200 days later they still get the job done, a true testament to how a well made FIS ski CAN last a long time....BUT one more big rock hit and they'll likely find their final resting place....

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
CM9vMVpFRzpdQzO33
LOL...ScotSkier post(s) made me chuckle, I'm in the same boat.

View attachment 36981

These were picked up from him a number of years ago for teaching/exams/etc...

Dynastar FIS SL 165, similar deal ex WC guy's stock, they were certainly well used before they made it onto my feet.

~200 days later they still get the job done, a true testament to how a well made FIS ski CAN last a long time....BUT one more big rock hit and they'll likely find their final resting place....

That's a thick edge for a race ski! :beercheer:

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
My take on the round blade @James is that it'll rotate the cutting edge instead of a stagnant flat cutting edge and keep a clean cutting edge longer to rip down the offset quick and clean, I want one.
The offset created by the will give the edge support and strength while allowing a file to create a clean cut on the edge, ripping down the top edge will give the file room to continue the side edge bevel. These are my opinions

@focker Do these edges make me look fat???

@Dakine Otto has been experimenting (with great results) for a long time and was structuring/rilling skis manually in the 70's. He's a beast

@otto We're only making plans for Nigel... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Antonio Theodore Vasquez

Jacques

Skier
No worries @ScotsSkier You are still fine for another few months :D I, on the other side, really need to get myself another pair of SL skis :roflmao: View attachment 37310

Do you ever rotate your skis to produce a more even wear? Did that happen from smoothing a alpine race course the same side for a long time?
Or could it be that one side of the base was way softer than the other?
Even if one rotates the skis, right side and left side are still the same. Some folks always do high speed stops right or left only.
Curious to know your take on the issue as I am sure many have seen this type of wear.
Those edges seem just right for race. Nice and thin.

Jacques

Skier
@Jacques with all other skis I do, but these are Rossi with "slant nose", so not really possible on this pair... which is actually shame.

Curious. So is the other ski worn as inside inside edge wear or are the both as left turn sliding, stopping etc.
I will assume in your case it is inside edges on both skis.
It would be nice to see them both. You must ski really hard on those puppies with aggressive snows.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I normally file both sides anyway, so both edges are gone in relatively same pace, but otherwise yes, inside edges get more damage, even if just sliding down, but at least for me, it's not like left or right ski would be more abused, as I don't feel I have "prefered leg or side to turn" . Thing is, these skis had few runs behind them before I got them, and they are some 4 years old already. But except for races where it's not so much of real skiing, I don't ski SL skis all that often... maybe 20 days/season at max, probably less.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.