• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Should I worry about these edges getting thin?

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
......:popcorn:

IMG_0694.jpg
IMG_0696.jpg

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Don't worry about it. Now they are real race skis.

James

Out There
Instructor
Looks like the bases are higher also. Plus stomping something, footrest? questionable structure, sideways scratches. Are your skis skiing in the pickup truck without you?

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never had the bottom of my ski's look that bad. Wow. I'd recommend a base grind but I'm not sure those ski's have enough life left to get one.

Jacques

Skier
Looks like the bases are higher also. Plus stomping something, footrest? questionable structure, sideways scratches. Are your skis skiing in the pickup truck without you?

Those scratches are no big deal. Just remove the highs from them. I'm pretty sure he know that.

I've never had the bottom of my ski's look that bad. Wow. I'd recommend a base grind but I'm not sure those ski's have enough life left to get one.

Why grind a ski that has decent structure already. Only if one needs it a bit flatter.
Consider where he is skiing. Lots of "low tide" snowpack. Rocks be like all over the place!

You should see my current "rock skis". They still haul the mail. Like super structured!

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
If there’s still metal, they’re still good. I’m not sure whose or what those skis are, but they’re in good shape if they’re coaching skis, and they look like they’ve never been used for salting.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Just don't stomp your binding heels and they'll be fine..:rolleyes:

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
ROFL! thought I would give you all some entertainment!. Plus I often hear when i am selling race skis people concerned that there may only be 70% edge left.... Well, i guess these are at <10% but they still work (actually quite unusual because normally a slalom ski has gone dead before the edges get to this stage)

Anyway for the sake of completeness , as @BGreen correctly spotted, yes these are my coaching/rock slaloms. And yes they will have scratches from heel releases as I never have poles when coaching (and why the heels on Rossi/Look bindings are a serious PITA for a coaching ski). These are actually a 165 Head RD slalom, real deal EC/WC stock, some guy named Cohee's name is still on them....:rolleyes: . I actually bought several pairs from a NCAA D1 athlete and when i was loading them he mentioned there was another pair in the trash bin if I wanted them for rock skis....no plates/no tip protectors but I took them for grins and giggles . Anyway when i mounted them up, they turned out to be one of my favorite pairs (out of 5!) so i ended up racing them for 1 season, trainers for another and they then graduated to coaching/rock ski. And despite the looks they still ski well.....

i was running a diamond stone over them last night and realized that the edge was getting on the thinner side so just thought i would show it here because sometimes we get hung up on looking for perfection when it is not necessarily critical....and also to show how long a real deal race ski can actually last. :D I am sure I can get another season out of them...:roflmao:

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
I don't use poles, but I never use the other ski. Squat and use your hand! I teach that to women that use no poles. If they can do it so can you....I hope!

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Yes, I would be worried that this ski is not going to make it to the end of the season, if it does not start snowing pretty soon in Tahoe :)

To take it to the limit, so you can get the ski edge to function in its state close to death watch this video, which demonstrates how to get that edge as thin as a piano wire, while still functioning on hard snow. Keep in mind that the first big rock hit is more than likely to tank the ski permanently.

TS
ScotsSkier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't use poles, but I never use the other ski. Squat and use your hand! I teach that to women that use no poles. If they can do it so can you....I hope!

Yeah, that is one option Jacques...but of course when you have a 30-40# backpack on and a bundle of gates on one shoulder it is easier to stomp on it....ogwink

and thanks Otto, good video!

Last edited:

Jacques

Skier
Yeah, that is one option Jacques...but of course when you have a 30-40# backpack on and a bundle of gates on one shoulder it is easier to stomp on it....ogwink

Ha ha! I'm always amazed with the guys that carry all those gate poles on their shoulders!
One day I asked a guy if I could feel how heavy the package was. Holly crap is all I could say!

James

Out There
Instructor
Yes, I would be worried that this ski is not going to make it to the end of the season, if it does not start snowing pretty soon in Tahoe :)

To take it to the limit, so you can get the ski edge to function in its state close to death watch this video, which demonstrates how to get that edge as thin as a piano wire, while still functioning on hard snow. Keep in mind that the first big rock hit is more than likely to tank the ski permanently.

Hey @otto ,
Nice video as usual.
I don't get use of the round blade in the sidewall planer. Why not use a square one and eliminate the special tool step to bring it back to flat. Or, why the need to reestablish a ledge? Why not justt leave it an arc from the tool? What does the flat top ledge do?

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
@otto
Thanks, that was a tuning video that I really learned something from.
You remind me of the old Austrian guy that tuned Othmar Schnider's skis at Boyne...he had more tricks with a file and scraper than most folks could imagine.
He created structures by hand using rilling tools, a lost art.