• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Should I remove bindings to re-glue screws?

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I did my first binding self-install, it went pretty well, but I didn't swirl the glue around the holes with a toothpick, I just put some in each hole, and there was trapped air. I didn't really think about it until later (it's been months now).

I thought perhaps I should remove the screws, put more glue in properly, and reinstall the bindings, but perhaps that's overkill? They ought to be reasonably well sealed from the glue that was there combined with the pressure of the screws in the holes. However, I don't want moisture getting in and rotting the skis. I also suspect removal and reinstallation will (slightly) weaken the material around the holes and increase the risk of a future rip-out.

Without much experience I'm at an impasse. Is it worth removing and regluing or should I just let it be?

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You should be fine. The air will squeeze out and the glue distribute as the screws tighten in the hole. If you used self tapping screws and drilled the correct size hole most of the glue is forces out anyway. You want a seal at the top of hole, which is what usually happens.

TS
Brock Tice

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
The air will squeeze out and the glue distribute as the screws tighten in the hole.

Thanks, that's about what I figured but was still second-guessing myself. It was drilled with a 4.1mm Wintersteiger stepped bit. I suppose even without the glue the topsheet probably seals pretty well around the screw.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just remember-
E5BB7305-891F-445E-995D-45F1B24E2D92.jpeg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Can you explain why this is better than putting the glue in the drilled hole?
I couldn't.

I put a glob on the opening of the hole, effectively putting a cover on the hole; I don't fill the hole with glue. The screw contacts the glue and turning the screw allows the glue to move down the hole while coating the entire circumference of the screw.

A key reason for glue is to seal the hole to keep moisture out. Screw retention is important, but if the core gets wet and rots, you are looking at heli-coils (hopefully) to restore the retention.

Re-gluing the screws is probably overkill. The greater issue in your scenario is replacing screws in used holes. This is when you are most likely to strip the threads of the hole. You need to turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel it drop into the threads, then carefully screw it in.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I couldn't.

I put a glob on the opening of the hole, effectively putting a cover on the hole; I don't fill the hole with glue. The screw contacts the glue and turning the screw allows the glue to move down the hole while coating the entire circumference of the screw.

A key reason for glue is to seal the hole to keep moisture out. Screw retention is important, but if the core gets wet and rots, you are looking at heli-coils (hopefully) to restore the retention.

Re-gluing the screws is probably overkill. The greater issue in your scenario is replacing screws in used holes. This is when you are most likely to strip the threads of the hole. You need to turn the screw counterclockwise until you feel it drop into the threads, then carefully screw it in.

That’s what I do too...and was thinking as well.

I never heard of anyone putting glue on the actual screw before screwing in....it would drip all over the place and have to wipe up, etc....)

I was curious to hear the reasoning?....

Last edited:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Th

That’s what I do too...and was thinking as well.

I never heard of anyone putting glue on the actual screw before screwing in....it would drip all over the place and have to wipe up, etc....)

I was curious to hear the reasoning?....
I would think you loose a lot of glue passing the screw through the binding hole, as well.