• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNC

Ice skating at NC resorts
Skier
So, I have a trip planned to SLC Jan 6-13 and one to Banff the last week of Feb/first couple days of March.

Originally I was undecided as to where to go first but the general consensus was SLC earlier..... Looking at on the snow, Sunshine is almost 100% open, meanwhile Snowbird only has 10/169 trails open!!! The other two places I'm going, Alta and Snowbasin are about the same.. Should I be worried at this point and start looking into SLC sight seeing options instead of a ski trip??

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It is too early to worry. Right now the dearth of snow is hitting a big part of the west. One really big storm will get everything rolling. On the other hand, sight seeing is fun and it doesn't hurt to be informed!

TS
S

SkiNC

Ice skating at NC resorts
Skier
just drive up to Grand Targhee/Jackson if it doesnt turn around.

You know, that's actually not a bad idea. Even if conditions improve I think I might do that. Always wanted to ski jackson and I have the mountain collective so I'm covered. I guess I didn't realize how "close" it is.. Appears to be about 4.5-5 hours. If SLC lifts close around 4, we could leave straight from an SLC resort, get into town before it's too late, stay one night, ski jackson the next day then leave when jackson closes at 4 or so then head back to SLC. Would be a fun trip and not wasting any ski time. If conditions don't improve, may stay longer.. Any tips on the drive? Thanks for the idea.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Its been long time since I have made that drive.....but it really isnt to bad.

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Did this exact same thing a few years ago in early January. Very low early snow year and Snowbasin was only like 25% open. Took the whole family and drove up to Targhee and had 100% open. Stayed for 2 days there. Drive is nice and easy.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Appears to be about 4.5-5 hours. If SLC lifts close around 4, we could leave straight from an SLC resort, get into town before it's too late, stay one night, ski jackson the next day then leave when jackson closes at 4 or so then head back to SLC. Would be a fun trip and not wasting any ski time. If conditions don't improve, may stay longer.. Any tips on the drive?
It would be a long drive to ski one day in WY. You probably would want to quit early and/or give up a day at one of the UT MCP areas. I recommend driving I-15 if doing it in the dark. It would be shorter from Snowbasin.

Even then you would probably want to stop in Driggs, ID for the night to avoid driving Teton Pass at the end of the drive. The Pines motel is recommended if looking for low-cost. Then either drive the hour to Jackson in the morning or do the shorter drive to Targhee. Even though it is not MCP, conditions are currently better top to bottom due to much higher base, But to drive back to SLC that night would be difficult without multiple (experienced winter) drivers and seems like a lot of driving for one day in WY. And note that these comments are coming from someone who has skied consecutive days in CA and UT three times doing the drive between CA and UT solo.

I've done other routes through Evanston, WY, then Highway 89 and the one through Soda Springs, but would not recommend them after dark, especially with any weather.

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Did this exact same thing a few years ago in early January. Very low early snow year and Snowbasin was only like 25% open. Took the whole family and drove up to Targhee and had 100% open. Stayed for 2 days there. Drive is nice and easy.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I too have the same trip planned, only it's planned for Christmas week. If very little is open at the SLC resorts, does anyone have any firsthand insight into how much more crowded Targhee and Jackson will be? I have these nightmarish visions of all of SLC dumping into those 2 resorts because they are the only skiable places within driving distance right now. And Jackson is only about 40% open right now.

allgash

Booting up
Skier
I too have the same trip planned, only it's planned for Christmas week. If very little is open at the SLC resorts, does anyone have any firsthand insight into how much more crowded Targhee and Jackson will be? I have these nightmarish visions of all of SLC dumping into those 2 resorts because they are the only skiable places within driving distance right now. And Jackson is only about 40% open right now.

I can't answer this, but I would imagine that only the hardcore skiers, or people reading these forums, would make the drive from SLC to do Jackson/Targhee. I would guess that many skiers
  • Have no idea that Jackson and Targhee are so close to SLC
  • Maybe don't even know that Targhee exists (me until this year), and if they know about Jackson they know it's a difficult mountain
  • Already have accommodations booked in the SLC/Park City area
  • Wouldn't be interested in changing accommodations and losing time from driving
  • Genuinely aren't intersted in Jackson/Targhee
Basically, I don't think you have to worry about it. I think Jackson and Targhee will be more crowded than usual because of the hardcore skiers, but I don't think the masses are going to switch from SLC.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't answer this, but I would imagine that only the hardcore skiers, or people reading these forums, would make the drive from SLC to do Jackson/Targhee. I would guess that many skiers
  • Have no idea that Jackson and Targhee are so close to SLC
  • Maybe don't even know that Targhee exists (me until this year), and if they know about Jackson they know it's a difficult mountain
  • Already have accommodations booked in the SLC/Park City area
  • Wouldn't be interested in changing accommodations and losing time from driving
  • Genuinely aren't intersted in Jackson/Targhee
Basically, I don't think you have to worry about it. I think Jackson and Targhee will be more crowded than usual because of the hardcore skiers, but I don't think the masses are going to switch from SLC.
The Wasatch area ski teams have all been venturing to Targhee the past few weekends. A LOT of people have been venturing to Targhee the past few weekends (including myself and friends.) So, while it's hard to speculate, don't discount the idea. Flocks of people from the greater SLC area travel 4+ hours to southern Utah (Moab, St. George, Zion) all the time. They'll just as easily travel 4 hours north to chase snow.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
You know, that's actually not a bad idea. Even if conditions improve I think I might do that. Always wanted to ski jackson and I have the mountain collective so I'm covered. I guess I didn't realize how "close" it is.. Appears to be about 4.5-5 hours. If SLC lifts close around 4, we could leave straight from an SLC resort, get into town before it's too late, stay one night, ski jackson the next day then leave when jackson closes at 4 or so then head back to SLC. Would be a fun trip and not wasting any ski time. If conditions don't improve, may stay longer.. Any tips on the drive? Thanks for the idea.

It would be a long drive to ski one day in WY. You probably would want to quit early and/or give up a day at one of the UT MCP areas. I recommend driving I-15 if doing it in the dark. It would be shorter from Snowbasin.
Jackson is included in the MCP. If it were me, I would burn the 2 free days at Jakcson. Maybe add a day or two to Targhee.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
The short answer... Yes.

It is pushing 60 at 7,500' outside of Durango today. SLC has the same weather pattern. Our staff training has been cancelled due to lack of snow.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
From the SLC area take I-15 north through Pocatello, ID, Idaho Falls, ID, Rigby & Rexburg, ID then over to Grand Targhee. So I-15 to US 20 to Idaho Highway 33.

I'm heading up to Targhee this weekend to get some turns in. It is abysmal here in Utah right now.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
The short answer... Yes.

It is pushing 60 at 7,500' outside of Durango today. SLC has the same weather pattern. Our staff training has been cancelled due to lack of snow.
Not what I was wanting to hear. I have dates at monarch over new years, be home for a day and then off to winter park, and then off for a 5 days then off to copper. I guess on Durango if the snow melts by the 15th we will run over to Wolfe creek.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
The lift tickets might be a bit steeper, and there are no shared passes, but Deer Valley is skiing great.

@Lorenzzo and @Mrs. 53 both attested to great conditions today.

Jay, I understand your enthusiasm, but, imagine taking a trip to Augusta and when you get there they only have 2 holes available for you to play, and they're 15 and 8.

I'm hoping for a storm the 27th of Dec, with a much more active pattern after that. But feel free to cancel that 6-13th trip, cause as soon as you do it'll dump here, ;).

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Jay, I understand your enthusiasm, but, imagine taking a trip to Augusta and when you get there they only have 2 holes available for you to play, and they're 15 and 8.

I'm hoping for a storm the 27th of Dec, with a much more active pattern after that. But feel free to cancel that 6-13th trip, cause as soon as you do it'll dump here, ;).

@BobMc

I can give you a few better options to go to than Augusta :duck:

But I do get your point

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Well, I can all but guarantee that even in the worst wind that I would beat my all time low score for a round there under that scenario!

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you do want to try somewhere else, Sun Valley is about the same distance as Jackson, an easier drive, and we have a lot of snowmaking. Christmas is the busiest time, but it is still not nearly as crowded as many other areas. MCP is good here too. Least expensive places to stay are in Hailey, 12 miles south.

Edit: Saw that you are talking week after New Years, not Christmas. Sun Valley will be pretty empty. Might be cold.

Sponsor

Staff online