• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Seriously When are you North Americans going to embrace the metric system that most of the world use? Burma Liberia and the USA are the only countries that don’t officially use it

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Seriously When are you North Americans going to embrace the metric system that most of the world use? Burma Liberia and the USA are the only countries that don’t officially use it
I think the Canadians will (politely) point out that they (1) are definitely in North America and (2) use metric

USA ... no time soon.

afski722

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah Mt. Holly MI is one of the shortest that others have said, far shorter than the lifts up north at Boyne Mt, Boyne Highlands, Crystal.
Hard to believe that was installed over 20 years ago.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

It sort of depends on what you mean by embrace.

Things like road signs in kilometers, speed limits in km/hr, milk in liters are pretty trivial although it would entail time and expense to change (a lot of signs, etc)

Things like manufactured parts (bolts, nuts, fluid fittings, pipes, metal gages, etc), especially those manufactured to existing standards, would be a real big deal, and you would still be faced with having to make and stock existing ones for spares. Automotive has the volume to do this (volume offsets startup/conversion expenses) but many industries don't.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
The Learning Center Quad at Bretton Woods in NH climbs about 165 vertical feet. It moves slowly, and has a low restraining bar that reaches way down. Little kids can pull it down using straps hanging from the bar for that purpose.

Last edited:

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
The rumor going round is that Holly is planning to install a second HSQ on the back side to replace chairs 5 and 6. Or rather that they were planning - all bets are off at this point.

I've heard the same rumor but, I would expect the parent company to invest more money into Searchmont first.

Karl

Mister Tea

The skier formerly known as Walt
Skier
I've heard the same rumor but, I would expect the parent company to invest more money into Searchmont first.

The original plan was to take one of the two decomissioned lifts and send it up to Searchmont when the HSQ is installed, The other lift was supposed to be moved to new terrain as Holly expands into the now-defunct gravel pit next door.

But with the recent developments I would expect that plans are on hold for now.

Sponsor