• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've had my transceiver for 5+ seasons, and this has bugged me every time I wear it: I have a very short torso (13"), and the transceiver rests under my left ribs, around the belt line. Does anyone know whether manufacturers make shorter harnesses, or have thoughts on whether I should attempt a DIY fix? I don't know how often transceivers worn with a harness get ripped off, but I don't want to do something that increases that likelihood. I have access to a serger, which I think would be necessary to get through the thicker webbing or elastic part of the strap, but I am terrible at sewing.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Which model is it? The BCA tracker line is super adjustable. I keep it on the shortest setting, and an elastic loop can help double-back the "tail" over to the other side of my body.

TS
Pequenita

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mammut Element Barryvox. I like it because of its size -- a lot smaller than the Tracker, which took up my entire torso. :rolleyes: I used one again last year, and agree, the harness was better for me.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m not sure a serger would work, but there are people like Penny Schwyn that can (safely) modify the harness for you.

Another thought: I once needed a new harness for a Mammut Barryvox beacon, so I called Mammut and asked, and the sent me a new one for no charge. I‘m thinking they might have something to help you out. Give that a try first.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Pequenita - I feel that. I'd call my Tracker 2 a third tit, but in reality, the receiver's bigger. I'm torn between going for a T3 or holding on to the one I have a lot of practice with. None of my partners care that it feels like a giant torso tumor.

I can't find even a picture of the harness for that beacon anywhere - does it not have over-the-shoulder adjustability or is it just not enough?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I looked at beacon harnesses, they don’t exactly seem like they are climbing grade, so I don’t see an issue with home sewing. Plastic buckles to connect and such. Still, if you are worried, you could sew the cut pieces together at the length you want, but leave long tails and knot those together. As long as you can locate the knot somewhere it won’t bother you.

Or could you double lop the shoulder strap, then clip the loops together at the bottom to prevent one from tightening up?

Or switch to pant pocket carry? You probably know the pro’s and cons debate about that.

We have the current Mammut Barryvox (non ‘element’) and it’s strap goes super short.
This is my 4’9” nine years old, and it’s not even close to the shortest setting:
03A487F7-49E7-40CA-B0E7-12AA68B59B9C.jpeg

Last edited:
TS
Pequenita

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Slim, I was thinking of you and your girls when I wrote this - almost just sent you a DM rather than posting. :)

I'll reach out to Mammut - hopefully they won't tell me "the tech in your beacon has been upgraded, and we recommend that you purchase... " Heh. Penny is a personal friend (I've seen the room where the badass sewing magic happens!)...and super busy in the winter, so I don't want to be forced into a pocket carry this season when the harness is "okay."

The over the shoulder adjustability doesn't shorten it enough for me.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Pequenita , and looking at pics of the old barryvox element, they were a completely different shape to the new ones, so the harness from the new ones won‘t work, to bad.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, I just went and got my Mammut Element and looked at the harness (that I mentioned above). It’s different than my Mammut Barryvox harness so you can’t use a Barryvox harness. But on the Element harness there’s a bar tack across the webbing of the shoulder strap where it connects to the plastic carrier that would be easy, if you’re okay at sewing, to open up and shorten. 15 minute job for Penny if you decide to ‘bother’ her. Tell her Bob Lee says hi.
E7BC91A7-54C3-4CCE-B04C-DDDCF4296A5D.jpeg

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Mine sits under my armpit it's so short. I cut the stitching and add a longer piece of webbing as needed. I'm sure you could do the same thing only removing webbing.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider
From personal experience, I'd think twice about shortening that harness too much @Pequenita and wearing it high on the body (over the ribs, if that's how you wear it?). I personally wear mine a little lower nowadays (below my ribs) as I once had a big crash at Silverton and compressed onto my beacon (which was being worn high and tight on my ribs) and I ended up breaking several ribs.

The ski down was really fun and then sitting in the truck for 6 hours waiting for the rest of the crew to finish skiing, was also a highlight! Maybe I'm the only one unlucky enough to have done that as I've never heard anyone else talking about it happening to them. Something to think about? Maybe....

- Matt

TS
Pequenita

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Good points. I’d like to have mine where Slim’s daughter has hers, or at least not at my belt line.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, the challenge for people with shorter torso’s is being high enough to sit above your backpack waist belt, but low enough not to hit ribs/sternum. At some point you run out of room.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Is there any place on the harness that you can shorten without cutting? Basically just double back the strap with some stitching. This way you're not messing with the integrity of the strap itself, and if your DIY stitching comes apart, it will still be on you, just lower on your body.