• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Short video of myself skiing

Byungjun Lee

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier

I'm an intermediate skier and I filmed myself and my wife skiing.

Just wanted to share and any comments are welcome!

Thanks!

MOD Note : Move to Ski School forum per OP concurrence for MA

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
I'll let those more qualified give technical input, but I'll just say that for yourself, you need to work on your definitions - that ain't no "intermediate" skiing :)

Haha I didn't really have much experience getting lessons on skis and mainly watched youtube videos and practiced based on them so I just described an intermediate.

Or am I closer to novice..? Thanks for the reply!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Or am I closer to novice..? Thanks for the reply!

No... he meant that you look to have possibly progressed past intermediate.

If you really want analysis of your skiing, I could move this thread to the Ski School forum. If not, then thanks for sharing!

TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
No... he meant that you look to have possibly progressed past intermediate.

If you really want analysis of your skiing, I could move this thread to the Ski School forum. If not, then thanks for sharing!

Oh I see. That also sounds nice since I could get some advice and practice to improve! Thanks

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Nice skiing for both of you. You, yourself, are obviously spending more time watching skiing on YouTube than your wife. Some, like my wife, would say to much time. :)

I suggest exploring turns with greater inclination and turns with greater angulation, all the while pressuring the outside ski even more. For the latter, make sure the hill is unpopulated, as you will need a lot more space and will have far less turn-to-turn nimbleness.

TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
Nice skiing for both of you. You, yourself, are obviously spending more time watching skiing on YouTube than your wife. Some, like my wife, would say to much time. :)

I suggest exploring turns with greater inclination and turns with greater angulation, all the while pressuring the outside ski even more. For the latter, make sure the hill is unpopulated, as you will need a lot more space and will have far less turn-to-turn nimbleness.

Thanks for the comment! That is what I'm trying to focus on.. get more inclination by getting my hip lower. But not as easy as saying haha.

Will try again later and upload newer videos! Thanks

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Thanks for the comment! That is what I'm trying to focus on.. get more inclination by getting my hip lower. But not as easy as saying haha.

Will try again later and upload newer videos! Thanks

Interesting. Two things. One can lower hip with both angulation and inclination. Second, as it has been drilled into my head here, at ski school section, hip lowered to snow is an outcome of highly dynamic skiing, with angulation, not the objective. So, why do you wish to lower the hip? And, why do you wish to do it with inclination?

I'm not saying you ought not. However, I am saying there needs to be purpose if one is to generate benefits from what one experiments with.

TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
Interesting. Two things. One can lower hip with both angulation and inclination. Second, as it has been drilled into my head here, at ski school section, hip lowered to snow is an outcome of highly dynamic skiing, with angulation, not the objective. So, why do you wish to lower the hip? And, why do you wish to do it with inclination?

I'm not saying you ought not. However, I am saying there needs to be purpose if one is to generate benefits from what one experiments with.

Thanks for the comment! and I think that's a very good question.

I think I was not very clear in my previous comments. I think my personal goal in practicing my turns is achieving smooth transition between turns.

And as I move to steeper terrain and higher speed I often feel unstable or kind of being popped upwards due to rebound from skis and I thought this was because my position was kind of high. And my focus was to ski in lower position to achieve smooth skiing even in high speed or steeper terrain, without popping.

And I think "trying to lower hip using inclination" was kind of misleading in my first comment. Does this make sense? Thanks!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I do have one suggestion. In order to get lower, your feet and particularly your knees need to be farther apart. You can't move to the inside if your feet are blocking you. You do ever have the tips of your skis banging together?

If you need to, place both hands in a fist between your knees. Or better yet, place both hands together on your poles, and place your poles behind your knees.

The other thing is to learn to trust your edges. That takes mileage.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@Byungjun Lee, you are going about it incorrectly. Instead of dropping the hip to get lower, you need to think about your "home base" position as being lower. Then, to change edges, you flex the outside leg. Getting the hip lower doesn't happen because you drop the hip inside, rather it happens because you start in a lower position, then flex the old outside edge to topple, and extend the new outside edge to counterbalance.

If you watch your video is slower motion, you are moving up through the transition. Try to keep the same height from the snow -- but use the flexion and extension from your legs to maintain your height.

Your current technique is exhibiting the classic "hip dumping." You are moving the hip inside and down. That results in your losing control of your horizontal separation, and the inside foot slides too far forward. So try to change the mechanics of how you are changing edges. I suspect that's the path to enlightenment!

Mike

TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
I do have one suggestion. In order to get lower, your feet and particularly your knees need to be farther apart. You can't move to the inside if your feet are blocking you. You do ever have the tips of your skis banging together?

If you need to, place both hands in a fist between your knees. Or better yet, place both hands together on your poles, and place your poles behind your knees.

The other thing is to learn to trust your edges. That takes mileage.
Hello, Thanks for the good comment. That's what I felt after I watched the video.. my feets are too close. Will try starting from the wider stance and separating them. Thanks!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Both of you have a “pop up” extension to initiate turns. Hers is a bit more graceful because it’s less dynamic.

The suggestion to open your feet slightly is valid for allowing for both greater maneuverability and independence. The latter would let you release the new inside ski into its turn while lightening it and begin increasing pressure on the new outside ski with the extension of that leg.

I'd like to see you turn your feet a bit farther than your torso, rounding out turns slightly more and creating a bit more counter as a result. Then you could take your turns from Victor to McCloouth:golfclap::golfclap:

Last edited:
TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
@Byungjun Lee, you are going about it incorrectly. Instead of dropping the hip to get lower, you need to think about your "home base" position as being lower. Then, to change edges, you flex the outside leg. Getting the hip lower doesn't happen because you drop the hip inside, rather it happens because you start in a lower position, then flex the old outside edge to topple, and extend the new outside edge to counterbalance.

If you watch your video is slower motion, you are moving up through the transition. Try to keep the same height from the snow -- but use the flexion and extension from your legs to maintain your height.

Your current technique is exhibiting the classic "hip dumping." You are moving the hip inside and down. That results in your losing control of your horizontal separation, and the inside foot slides too far forward. So try to change the mechanics of how you are changing edges. I suspect that's the path to enlightenment!

Mike

Thank you for the reply. That was what I was trying to achieve.. get lower during the transition. I think I should focus more on "starting" at lower position and maintaining it.

I once watched this video and had this in my mind, but doesnt really work well in actual skiing. Thank you for the comment!

TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
Both of you have a “pop up” extension to initiate turns. Hers is a bit more graceful because it’s less dynamic.

The suggestion to open your feet slightly is valid for allowing for both greater maneuverability and independence. The latter would let you release the new inside ski into its turn while lightening it and begin increasing pressure on the new outside ski with the extension of that leg.
Thank you for the great comment. Will try to focus on flexing and extending of legs during transition!!

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
get lower during the transition. I think I should focus more on "starting" at lower position and maintaining

Yes, that's a way to look at it. As for the maintaining, I imagine myself to be a ballroom dancer. The upper body floats gracefully across the dance floor. So, think that, rather than your hips.

If you do explore the range between inclination and angulation, you will find that the gracefulness cannot be achieved with inclination

TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
Yes, that's a way to look at it. As for the maintaining, I imagine myself to be a ballroom dancer. The upper body floats gracefully across the dance floor. So, think that, rather than your hips.

If you do explore the range between inclination and angulation, you will find that the gracefulness cannot be achieved with inclination
Thanks for the comment! I think this sort of "internal que" really helps me figure out what should I be focusing and how others feel about skiing. Will try that later!

TS
B

Byungjun Lee

Skier
Want to get lower to create greater edge angles? Try shortening the inside leg more while keeping the torso more upright instead of leaning farther into turns.

Thanks for the tip. That's what I felt when I watch racers or other great skiers skiing. When I saw my video I realized that my inside leg is not as much as shortened than I felt. Also would try maintaining my upper body more upright. Thanks! this is really a great experience getting a lot of advise from all of you. Thanks again.

Sponsor