• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Short term test: Liberty VMT92

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It's been years since I've been on a liberty. I can't even remember specifically what ski of theirs I last tried, but I do remember it was an all mountain jib ski. They were never a company I'd expect to bring out a hard snow directional ski, but I think they're on to something here. It took a few runs for the skis and me to figure each other out, mostly because I've been on a 75mm ski for almost a month. At 92mm, it is pushing the realm of what I would consider a hard snow oriented all mountain ski, and because of this the ski absolutely wants a more patient transition. That isn't to say you can't make short swing turns with it, but it's much happier making a GS sized turn (to be expected with a 19m radius).
I have always thought that technology like Flipcore, ARC, Servo, HDT and now VMT are just fancy, overhyped ways of saying "we think we figured out the secret sauce to making skis feel smoother without making them heavier." In that light, I think Liberty is actually on to something here because I absolutely feel that this thing skis smoother than any other ski I've been on in the low 90mms (except maybe a Renon, but there is a significant cost difference here). I'll let @Philpug talk about the more nitty-gritty details of how VMT works, but it absolutely does work. The only time I felt chatter was on super chalky hardpack when I wasn't managing pressure properly.
@Ron mentioned that he felt like I might overpower it, and I definitely feel like I found its top end, but I wasn't overpowering it.

media-1544574135826-dec_11_2018_14_02-jpg.60524

Excuse the poor form; I didn't have enough speed to make the turn I wanted to. PC: @Tori
  • Whos it for? Someone who wants a smooth feeling versatile hardsnow oriented ski that can handle softer snow and bumps. Instructors that don't want a race ski.
  • Whose it not for? 11/10ths skiers who will ski balls to the wall on piste 100% of the time. People who like to make short turns all the time.
  • Insider tip: Be patient with the transition/finititation phase.
  • Final Thoughts: For a one ski west coast quiver, you can't go wrong with this ski. It's fun, stable, smooth and predictable.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Dory, were you on the 186 ? I love it for short radius turns. its not a Laser Ax but hey, its 92 underfoot. :)

Last edited:
TS
DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Dory, were you on the 186 ? I love it for short radius turns. its not a Laser AZ but hey, its 92 underfoot. :)
186. It isn't the length that bothers me in a swing turn; it's the width. But then again I've spent 70% of my time on a 75mm ski over the past two or so seasons.

I want to try this ski.
Yes, you do.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I skied narrower VMTs at SIA, V76. I was very impressed. I hope to ski it in the size @DoryBreaux reviewed as I am really enjoying lively skis in the 90s.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January