• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Short shell for short guy

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m ..ahem.. short. As in 5’7”. And stocky, with big shoulders and longish arms so I often have to buy larges to get adequate arm movement. On the hunt for a new shell, but one that is short. A lot of tops hang long on me and I don’t like having the zippers start down at my crotch and the back hem completely covering my rear. So I’m wondering if any of you know of specific items — or clothing lines — that tend to run short. It seems the new style tends to run skinny and long....and that’s exactly wrong for me.
Thoughts from the gurus of soft goods?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd start with Marmot, OR, & Arcteryx, namely because they provide a measurement. Are you looking for a shell or insulated jacket? If the former, there are some options on the market that cater a little more to the all-around alpinist. They're usually shorter to play nice with a harness and have pretty good range of motion in the shoulders. Marmot Alpinist comes to mind (it's still got a powder skirt and a mesh internal drop pocket). Same membrane/fabric construction as the Arcteryx Beta LT and similar MSRP, but end of season discounts are much deeper where it's a pretty reasonable price.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m ..ahem.. short. As in 5’7”. And stocky, with big shoulders and longish arms so I often have to buy larges to get adequate arm movement. On the hunt for a new shell, but one that is short. A lot of tops hang long on me and I don’t like having the zippers start down at my crotch and the back hem completely covering my rear. So I’m wondering if any of you know of specific items — or clothing lines — that tend to run short. It seems the new style tends to run skinny and long....and that’s exactly wrong for me.
Thoughts from the gurus of soft goods?

I'm 5'-4". I'd kill to be as "short" as you.ogsmile I'll be paying attention to this thread because EVERYTHING is too big for me. I'm stocky and have big shoulders but the mid-section is what kills me; that's just plain fat.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am also 5'7 but with shorter arms. I tried on about 20 jackets from all the vendors.

I ended up going with Northface NFZ which is in their steep series. unfortunately this exact model line was discontinued a few years back. But see what else in TNF Steep Series is available.
The complaint that Northface is poorly fitted for a box works for me; since Small still has plenty of torso and shoulder movement, and the sleeves are not too long

The fancy alpinist gear seems to be more fitted for the ape-armed rock climbers.

You will just need to try a lot of jackets on.

Last edited:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Im primarily buy Patagonia & TNF.. I'm about the same height and have square shoulders. I find that sleeve length and body length varies SO much within product lines. Earlier this year I tried on a Patagonia Snow Shot, Powder Bowl, Pow Slayer & Untracked shells. The only one that had reasonable length arms was the Untracked jacket. The others were all 2-3" too long in the sleeves and I hate bunched up fabric around my wrists. I like a longer shell body though.

@Analisa might be on to something with recommending alpine style shells since they need to work with a harness.

I really want to try an Arcteryx shell this year since everyone raves about it, but the models I could find locally were too long or too snug across my butt.

Keep trying on shells, eventually you will find one that fits right. It just may take 15-20 different models to find the right one.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
My 'petite' husband (5'6", stocky build but not overweight) wear Marmot and TNF jackets fairly well without worrying too much about length. He is in a medium, smalls are too slim around the waist for him.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'll second the OR recommendation, I've had good luck getting stuff from them that fits (I'm 5' 7").

garylk

Booting up
Skier
I share the OP's pain: 5'7 185 Lbs 44 chest - seems like the last few years everything I try on is up in my armpits or if not it's too long.

Walked into Patagonia a couple of weeks ago to see what was on sale and walked out with the Calcite shell. It wasn't on sale but at $250 wasn't stupidly expensive, it fit like it was made for me, and my 20+ year old shell (also a Patagonia, but I've long forgotten the model name) has been on life support for more than a few years (sun bleached shoulders, several patches, and taped seams re-glued with tent cement).

On the same shopping trip I also happened to find an Obermeyer parka in another store that fit well, but fluorescent green just isn't my color.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
5'6.5" 140 lbs, my latest shell an Arc'teryx Sidewinder has a short torso length.
Fwiw, I like my clothing comfortable and the size Medium works well with plenty of room to fit the Arc'teryx Cerium SV under as a midlayer for zub zero East Coast days. I could fit a Small only my chin wouldn't be so happy all zipped up with the storm hood over the helmet, plus I get armpit wedgies with bulkier mid-layers like the Creium SV.

(wearing a lightweight down mid-layer and smartwool baselayer over a patagonia capilene 1 jersey under it in the pix)
IMG_2644.jpg

Last edited:

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I'll second the OR recommendation, I've had good luck getting stuff from them that fits (I'm 5' 7").

Since this thread has revived... I just went through trying to find a new jacket and tried tons of stuff at the stores in the Denver metro and the mountains. I've found that some Descente models have shorter lengths.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
the jacket in my picture is short as you can see.It is a Cloudveil which is out of business I think but try Stio they have a Cloudveil connection