• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Short and Stocky Men's Hardshell recommendation needed please

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
We are looking for a hardshell for my husband. It's not something he needs immediately, but I'm keeping my eyes out for one. We ordered a Patagonia jacket on REI's recent sale and the fit was just way off. He was between a S and M measurement wise, but the jacket was just cut way too long and slender in the hips. The arms were way long too. So, anyone have any recs on a brand or model of jacket that would work for someone who is shorter and stockier (he's not overweight, he is just a bit barrel chested in build I suppose).

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
We are looking for a hardshell for my husband. It's not something he needs immediately, but I'm keeping my eyes out for one. We ordered a Patagonia jacket on REI's recent sale and the fit was just way off. He was between a S and M measurement wise, but the jacket was just cut way too long and slender in the hips. The arms were way long too. So, anyone have any recs on a brand or model of jacket that would work for someone who is shorter and stockier (he's not overweight, he is just a bit barrel chested in build I suppose).

Which jacket was it? Patagonia regular fit is usually pretty boxy, maybe you got a slim fit?

Otherwise, I will tell you to do the opposite of what we do ;-) which is to look toward European and climbing/mountaineering brands. Those tend to fit longer and slimmer than Marmot/Flylow/etc.

TS
kimmyt

kimmyt

Skier
It was this one and I can't find info on the type of fit, but since it says it is geared towards 'snowboarding/downhill skiing' i am going to assume it is supposed to be a more athletic cut. I think I will check out some Flylow.

just checked, the Paty jacket is supposed to be 'regular fit' whatever that means.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It was this one and I can't find info on the type of fit, but since it says it is geared towards 'snowboarding/downhill skiing' i am going to assume it is supposed to be a more athletic cut. I think I will check out some Flylow.

just checked, the Paty jacket is supposed to be 'regular fit' whatever that means.

As has been discussed on here, Patagonia fits are all over the board. Often the regular fit is pretty boxy, but not always.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah. Patagonia is known for inconsistent and weird fit.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah. Patagonia is known for inconsistent and weird fit.
I ran into one of thier designers, it is a known issue that they are working on.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I usually buy an XL and then need to get the sleeves shortened. But a couple of winter ago I found an Armada Gortex shell on sale that was an L that fit great, no alterations needed. So maybe a M Armada will fit you husband.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

My husband just got a Flylow shell and he's not far off from how you describe you husband, but between a medium and large. Fits well but is a bit long in the arms.

TS
kimmyt

kimmyt

Skier
I ended up exchanging it at REI for a Marmot Starcross (it's insulated but will work for downhill skiing at least) which is a relaxed fit size S and it fits really nicely

TS
kimmyt

kimmyt

Skier
I never really thought he was either until we started shopping for jackets... ;) actually I think he's just gotten more stocky in the past few years. We like to do things as a couple.

Prickly Jones

Jetsetting Curmudgeon
Skier
Shorter/stockier tends to be Marmot/TNF in my experience. Longer/slimmer more a Patagonia/Arcteryx thing. But cuts seem to change pretty frequently.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm wearing a Flylow quantum hardshell .It fits quite well for a stocky kind of guy like me. I don't fit into arctyrx, too slim fit .

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Arcteryx has different fits, details on their website or you can call customer service for advice on options for various body types.

Sponsor