• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shipping Skis from Alberta to California

toddmanley

Booting up
Skier
I have the opportunity to get my hands on a great pair of skis but the estimated shipping costs seem really high ($150 CAD). Anybody have experience/tips & tricks/low-cost solutions that could lower the expense of getting the skis shipped down to California from Alberta?

-Thanks, Todd

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Where in Alberta is it being shipped from? I actually find Fedex Ground rates to be really reasonable. If they are coming from a big city, you could also have them do it via airplane. When I lived in Boston and my mom had to send something oversized, she would send it relatively cheaply via cargo on a plane.

Is this something from a store? or from an individual?

TS
toddmanley

toddmanley

Booting up
Skier
Calgary to San Jose, CA being shipped by an individual. I told him to call some local ski shops for some tips.

Heiusa

Booting up
Skier
It is expensive to ship anything now a days that is over-sized, such as skis, then on top of that you are shipping international. If you ship via Fedex or UPS you will run into not only over-sized handling charges, but you will also have to pay duties, taxes, and customs charges.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I just checked UPS and the shipping works out, for a pair of skis to approximately $60CAD. Are the skis old or new? There is a gift exemption of $100USD for duties. So maybe the skis are only $200USD, and you only pay duties on $100USD? Either way, the package has to be clearly marked "'Unsolicited gift - not for resale".

The other more questionable method - but also possible, is to see if anyone can bring it from calgary to sanjose with them, if they are travelling. You can try this forum, for example. If it's not urgent, I'm actually travelling to San Jose in November, and maybe someone else is coming sooner?