• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
@TheBestSkier
Can you post a few photos of the inside of the Anthero2+ jacket? What is the pocket configuration? Is there a ski pass pocket? Is there a zippered pocket on the inside for valuables? Are the handpicked big enough to fit gloves? Finally, what happened to the Burple color?

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@TheBestSkier
Can you post a few photos of the inside of the Anthero2+ jacket? What is the pocket configuration? Is there a ski pass pocket? Is there a zippered pocket on the inside for valuables? Are the handpicked big enough to fit gloves? Finally, what happened to the Burple color?

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG

Scarpa chapstick for scale. Zippered interior chest pocket. The interior pouch pockets get bigger with the larger sizes. You can put a Platypus waterbag in the interior pouch and run a hose through the chest pocket bag and you'll have a hydration system without a pack that wont freeze. I can fit gloves in the exterior hip pockets. There is no pass pocket.

The BLURPLE flew off the shelves. It was a lot of people's school color and they bought them all. We will be sure to make more for next season.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have any more questions. I'm wrestling a freshly spayed husky pup right now and can easily be distracted.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
thanks for a quick answer! Good pictures (and great idea to put a Chapstick for scale).

So, why no pass pocket? This is something that always a mystery to me- all this gear is made by people who ski in an area that has RFID tickets. Do you guys just keep them in your pants or wallets?

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
thanks for a quick answer! Good pictures (and great idea to put a Chapstick for scale).

So, why no pass pocket? This is something that always a mystery to me- all this gear is made by people who ski in an area that has RFID tickets. Do you guys just keep them in your pants or wallets?

I try to hide my identity from strangers on the hill because I'm paranoid so my pass is always put away. I have two season passes that I tape back to back. The lanyard goes on my belt and passes in my pants pocket. If I need to pull it out at A-Basin or Copper it's super easy. At the Vails they just swipe their ray gun all over you and you're good. Most lifties require you to take your pass out of the pass pocket window if they have to scan or see it.

Less pockets = lower price.

I almost used a composting banana for scale but my jacket isn't due for a wash till May.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I see. I am used to the Squaw pass which is RFID that you don't even need to show. For us it is put it in your pocket and take out only when you wash the jacket. For those passes the pocket on the sleeve makes a lot of sense. Does not have to be transparent of course, so those "chapstick-on-the-sleeve" pockets work best.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Time for a new jacket. Looking for suggestions on a nice shell.

My Helly Hansen has been good to me over the past 7 years, but is no longer waterproof.

There are so many awesome performance shells out there today. It comes down to fit, style and features. I personally do not like fit of the Patagonia garments except for some of the base layers and maybe their down jackets for town.

I am 6-2 and 175~180 and the Arcteryx jackets fits me perfectly.

Choosing garments is a very personal choice so at the very least I would try 4-5 different shells that meet your criteria.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Alexzn I have the Anterro II jackets that has been added to our long term test fleet, If you care to take it for a weekend, we can make it happen.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
OP What shell did you end up with?

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for all the Freeride Systems plugs you pugs.

Hey @MidASkier I've got 3 great shell options that you may like. Here's a quick run down.

Antero 2+. The 2+ is my favorite shell to ski in. It's made from Polartec Neoshell. It's a 3 layer hardshell laminate with a tricot interior that protects the membrane. It is waterproof, windproof and breathable. The collar is extra tall and the hood isn't attached to the collar. The over sized hood fits over helmets and easily moves on and off them. 2 way main zip helps with venting so does the easy to use pit zips. Dual hip cinches. 4 interior pouch style pockets. 1 interior chest zip pocket. Extra room in the shoulders and sleeves. No elastic cuffs to help with venting.

Antero 3. The 3 is very similar to the 2+. The main difference is the hood and collar are attached to each other. You do not have the interior pouches but one interior chest zip pocket. This jacket wears better casually than the 2+.

The Mountain Parka Shell. The Parka is one of our new Jacket Component System products. It's a lightweight shell made of a lighter version of Polartec Neoshell. This is a great ski jacket that can be worn year round all over the country. You can zip in a fleece vest or jacket made from Polartec 200 weight fleece. It has the shortest collar of the 3 shells and weighs the least. 1 interior chest zip pocket. You do not have pit zips, 2 way main zip or the giant hood.

All of these jackets have one exterior chest zip pocket, 2 zip hip pockets and dual hip cinches. They are all fully seam taped and made with the same quality that our state avalanche forecasters, SAR and ABC News receive.

I'd be happy to go into further detail or answer any questions.

You can trade your used jacket in towards the purchase of a new jacket from us or keep it and use the "PUG16" discount code to get 20% off.

Here's what I'm confused by and just need an explanation: how is Polartech Neoshell considered windproof? I tried it and could feel the cold zero degree air coming in the lift.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Neoshell is not windproof in a strict sense of the word because it belongs to the "air-permeable" class of WPB fabrics. But it is much more protective from the wind than your fleece, so it is windproof enough. Perhaps my favorite ski jacket fabric, although I used a GoreTex jacket for about 50% of my days last year.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Read this. http://polartec.com/product/polartec-neoshell

Neoshell is 99.99% windproof but since it breathes and thus allows heat dissipation it can feel colder especially under windy conditions where the wind accelerates the heat dissaption. For Uber cold or really windy days where heat retention is important, I agree with @Alexzn and I will ski with a gor-Tex jacket. We have covered this in another thread but I went with an Antero II in black cherry which (besides being a cool color) is made of Gor-windstopper.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Here is where I diverge with Ron:) I hate WindStopper, I think it is the one outdoor fabric developed for all the wrong reasons. It's too warm to be versatile, and too thick to dry quickly. I would much rather be in a 3L shell and a fleece than in the WS jacket. But I also don't ski in Colorado like Ron does, where it is on average 7-10 deg colder than in CA.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
According to a quick internet search, less than 1 cfm air- permeability is considered windproof. Patagonia claims their testing shows less than 5 cfm as functionally windproof, i.e.testers can't feel the breeze. So, it depends on your definition a bit. Neoshell has about air-permeability of about 0.5 cfm, so is classified as windproof by most standards.

In very cold and windy conditions it will definitely feel colder than a near zero permeable fabric like GTX.

My choice is still for a more permeable shell fabric, especially in very cold temperatures, since this will decrease condensation/frost on the inside of the shell fabric.

Then, I can always add insulation or additional wind resistant layers underneath if needed. This is more versatile, since it's easy to add insulation. Wind resistance, but impossible to remove it. These layers can also be targeted to specific parts of he body:
For example, while skiing all the wind is in front. On the chairlift your back is covered by the chair, so the only time when you need a super high wind resistance on your back is while standing around or skiing slowly in very windy conditions.

The only time a non-permeable shell fabric is an actual advantage is in very windy, cold, but not frigid temperatures.
If it's windy but warm, the slight loss of warmth from a permeable shell is no problem.
If it's frigid, condensation due to the dew point being inside the clothing is reduced because of the extra air movement. Additional Insulation will need to be added in very windy conditions.
Of course, if it's wet and not that cold (skiing in falling snow 32F) it's a huge benefit.

Last edited:

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Be careful with Nikwax technology. It's not a membrane, so even if it works as advertised, it will not work in all situations. For example, if you sit on a wet chair, Analogy fabric should soak through. The "technical" stuff on Paramo website is a prime example of the BS clothing companies push on the customers. There is nearly zero techncial information there, just uninformative marketing fluff.

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor