• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sharing the trail with hikers and horses

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Even if the downhill skier always has the right of way, that doesn't negate them from any responsibility. Based on the Skiers Code the downhill skier will still needs to...
  • Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
  • Must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
  • Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
Even thought it's not a full written code for mountain biking and hiking...I think of it the same...even if the hiker has the right of way, that doesn't negate them from responsibility. They still should let someone moving faster than them pass (when safe for all parties) and they shouldn't just stop in the middle of the trail.

this^. Except, in the case of skiing/riding the behavior of doing tricks on crowded cat tracks (for example) is not viewed as improper or out of control. If they would simply change the rules to better protect other skiers and riders, especially those of lesser abilities, it would resolve the majority of these type of issues. Resorts dont like doing this though.

bold: yes! especially the stopping in the trail thing. :).

Last edited:

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Probably even more common is driving and texting to be concerned about as well.

Interesting point about the school of thought maybe there is less risk of a car trying to squeeze past. That's a fair point I hadn't thought about.

I still wonder if it is safer to be single file, but I don't road bike in fairness to have the experience of how common it is for cars to dangerously try and squeeze past versus aggravated driver behind side by side cyclists who does something stupid.

I am not into road biking as I just don't like the idea of putting so much of my safety in the hands of auto drivers. Just scares the hell out of me biking on the side of a road with cars going past me that it takes away any enjoyment away from me. But I understand road biking does appeal to people and at the end of the day, auto driver needs to deal with it safely.
I pick my routes and generally most drivers are very polite. I ride by myself mostly and stick to the right as much as possible. If I'm riding with someone, and we're in low-traffic areas, we'll ride side by side and slide back to single file when a car comes. I believe in being accommodating and generally that's what I get back. I don't have a lot of issues. I used to hear all kinds of problems from my motorcycle friends back in the day about all these problems they had in traffic and with cars..I had VERY few problems..which lead me to believe it was their style or technique of riding.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Except, in the case of skiing/riding the behavior of doing tricks on crowded cat tracks (for example) is not viewed as improper or out of control.

I would disagree with this. I think most people would consider tricks on a crowded cat track improper (except for the few punks that are doing it), and depends on the subject to gauge whether or not they're in control (control meaning they can stop to avoid collision with other skiers in front of them). As for doing tricks on the side of the cat track, and re-entering the trail. I think "look uphill and yield to others" covers that.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
*desperately trying to get this back on track*

Hikers, horses, mountain bikes? Anyone?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I honestly have not had any issues with hikers or trail runners around here. Dog owners have been mostly very considerate for the most part as well. I can see how there might be issues in some places with certain people but I guess trail users here are very used to diverse usage.
Many of the thoughts in this thread resonated when we took Gypsy for a hike on Tuesday. She has been doing really well on recall and sitting/waiting on our command, so that goes well when we run into others on the trail.
We started around 9 AM and only encountered a few others (bikes and hikers) for the first hour, and a few more for the second half of the hike. Every encounter we had was pleasant, but there was one woman that we crossed paths with twice as she was going the opposite direction on the same loop. She was trail running with her dog, so Gypsy needed some reinforcement as the lady passed us, so we said "Gypsy wait!" one more time. It startled the woman who seemed to think we were yelling at her, so she acted startled. I felt kind of bad that we startled her but I'm not sure what else we could have done.

We had a handful of people comment on how well behaved our dog was.
My point, when a hiker has a pet with them on a hike, there is an extra sense of responsibility to not infringe on others exprerience.
I remember riding bike with Otis some 12 years ago but I couldn't imagine riding bike with Gypsy with how busy the trails are.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reactions: Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I had a great ride, 2 bikes and 2 hikers. I am happy to say that in both bike interactions we both moved over for each other :). Both hikers moved off the trail for me and I thanked them profusely. :).

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
....and now there's this...... who has right of way during gunfire?

Wow, the Deputy spoke with the shooters at the scene but did not issue any citations????
:geek:
Bullets continued to whizz by them as they took shelter, Sibelius said, some landing within 15 yards of their hiding spots, hitting the dirt and nearby trees. They yelled as loud as they could at whoever was shooting to stop, but the bullets kept flying.

Initially, the deputy did not seem to understand the danger they were in, Sibelius said. The deputy had spoken with the shooters at the scene but did not issue any citations.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Many of the thoughts in this thread resonated when we took Gypsy for a hike on Tuesday. She has been doing really well on recall and sitting/waiting on our command, so that goes well when we run into others on the trail.
We started around 9 AM and only encountered a few others (bikes and hikers) for the first hour, and a few more for the second half of the hike. Every encounter we had was pleasant, but there was one woman that we crossed paths with twice as she was going the opposite direction on the same loop. She was trail running with her dog, so Gypsy needed some reinforcement as the lady passed us, so we said "Gypsy wait!" one more time. It startled the woman who seemed to think we were yelling at her, so she acted startled. I felt kind of bad that we startled her but I'm not sure what else we could have done.

We had a handful of people comment on how well behaved our dog was.
My point, when a hiker has a pet with them on a hike, there is an extra sense of responsibility to not infringe on others exprerience.
I remember riding bike with Otis some 12 years ago but I couldn't imagine riding bike with Gypsy with how busy the trails are.

Proper term is Romani. If you called me Mick or Frenchy or Kraut on the trail :) hey its Friday.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Wow, the Deputy spoke with the shooters at the scene but did not issue any citations????
:geek:
Bullets continued to whizz by them as they took shelter, Sibelius said, some landing within 15 yards of their hiding spots, hitting the dirt and nearby trees. They yelled as loud as they could at whoever was shooting to stop, but the bullets kept flying.

Initially, the deputy did not seem to understand the danger they were in, Sibelius said. The deputy had spoken with the shooters at the scene but did not issue any citations.
no, its in the article, they were issued a summons later but the other more significant charges were not filed. As a gun owner, these jokers should have had their guns confiscated at the very least, as they violated several laws including using firearms while intoxicated, and firing a gun without clear site of where the bullets may land/hit. the gun owner is 100% responsible for discharging firearms in a safe manner.

"After the two bikers explained what happened, the deputy issued court summons to three out-of-state men for the alleged prohibited use of a weapon. Lt. Ryan Adrian with the Sheriff’s Office did not respond directly to the incident but explained the crime report written by the deputies who responded.

Deputies found three handguns at the scene, which were legal and therefore not confiscated. According to that report, it appeared the three men firing the weapons had been drinking that night. "

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No, its in the article, they were issued a summons later but the other more significant charges were not filed. As a gun owner, these jokers should have had their guns confiscated at the very least, as they violated several laws including using firearms while intoxicated, and firing a gun without clear site of where the bullets may land/hit. The gun owner is 100% responsible for discharging firearms in a safe manner.

"After the two bikers explained what happened, the deputy issued court summons to three out-of-state men for the alleged prohibited use of a weapon. Lt. Ryan Adrian with the Sheriff’s Office did not respond directly to the incident but explained the crime report written by the deputies who responded.

Deputies found three handguns at the scene, which were legal and therefore not confiscated. According to that report, it appeared the three men firing the weapons had been drinking that night. "
I read that and am still in shock!
Not that I know what could have been done, but still...shocked, I tell ya!
Its jacknuggets like that who make gun owners look bad.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online