• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SHAMAN Skis - Out of business

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's getting harder and harder for a small manufacturer to make it in this industry. One of the reasons I have so much respect for @Cyrus Schenck and Renoun.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Never heard of Shaman but to be fair they look like they were in a niche of a niche. How many competition mogullers are there out there? & How many pay full fare for their skis?

Renoun at least has a differentiated story and a product for a a target market with money to spare - wealthy boomers and Gen Xers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Never heard of Shaman but to be fair they look like they were in a niche of a niche. How many competition mogullers are there out there? & How many pay full fare for their skis?

Renoun at least has a differentiated story and a product for a a target market with money to spare - wealthy boomers and Gen Xers.
Shaman was a small player in a niche market with one dominant player, IDone.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There were a ton of ID One skis at the WC events we attended.
I wonder how that hole will be filled.
IMG_6298.jpeg

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I see two DPS and a ...is that a Bud Light ski from RAMP?

I have long been curious about the Shaman logo. It's sort of reminiscent of Norse graphic spellls, but of course Finns aren't Norse.

witchcraft-and-sorcery-in-iceland-5

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Marrying FIS and USSA Freestyle with X-Games is the answer to all of this. Mogul skiing would become way more relevant again and all of it would be more exciting if we got to see the SlopeStyle competitors also ski bump runs and bump skiers ski park for the combined FreestyleX-Games Championship. think of all the vendors who would again be building bump skis

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I count our two DPSs, a Ramp, a Rossi far left and 5 IDOnes
ID One.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Those five folks will buy something else?
Well, at the competition, it wasn't 5, it was a majority of the competitors. I'm guessing most of them didn't "buy" their skis at that level.

That being said, who buys a mogul ski, unless you're training to be a competitive mogul mogul?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Well, at the competition, it wasn't 5, it was a majority of the competitors. I'm guessing most of them didn't "buy" their skis at that level.

IDOne, the Japanese brand supplying the majority you refer to, is still in business.

Shaman, the Finnish brand trying to compete with IDOne for a slice of that majority, is the one that's done.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Moment Mowglis seemed pretty well received among the bump skiing community. Yet they sold out completely and dropped the model..

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier

Yes, it is sad news. My heart goes out to those who put their sweat equity into this company. Not sure what happen but one thing that turn me off about the ski was that it was too wide, 100/68/90 mm. Hart made a mogul model with a wide tip (103/66/89), next season immediately introduced a skinnier ski. For the competition market, the trend is to make a narrow ski design for speed. Competitive courses have migrated to fewer bumps and spacing between jumps have change, speed has become the dominant factor again.

Anyone using using a wide tip is place in a disadvantage. I would say the same can be said for newbies (for direct line skiing) as well.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Too bad.
Most single purpose ski I’ve ever tried, the 178. Huge camber. The ski was death in moguls if you don’t go direct line. Severely punishing. Freakishly forgiving if you go direct. Ski was beyond my level.
I thought their construction techniques could make a fine all mountain ski. It absolutely did not want to make a short turn other than staying in the fall line.

1A88EE50-243D-477B-8205-5F86B5C40228.jpeg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
IDOne, the Japanese brand supplying the majority you refer to, is still in business.

Shaman, the Finnish brand trying to compete with IDOne for a slice of that majority, is the one that's done.

By the responses I was almost confused. Glad I'm not. :)

MattFromCanada

Professional Something-or-another
Skier
I know nothing about mogul skis... but what about Dynastar Twisters?

K2, Rossingol/Dynastar, Faction, Elan, Hart, and IDone all make mogul skis, so the market isn’t completely devoid of options.

I suspect IDone does well in their domestic market since mogul skiing appears to be big in Japan, but I’m rather surprised Hart is hanging around, given how much of a niche product they have...

Sponsor

Staff online