• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have some Shaggy's to mount for a friend. They look nice.

Dimensions: 133-95-117

20180715_153513.jpg
20180715_153518.jpg
20180715_153525.jpg
20180715_153532.jpg

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Patrollers have be slowing getting them here in Wisconsin. I have demoed a badly tuned Ahmeek 105s.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I reached out to them prior to a trip we took to visit my family. I was hoping to connect with them because they are based out of Boyne City, which is not far from my family.
Unfortunately, I never heard back from them.
I would really like to try them.

whitefeathers

Putting on skis
Skier
They were doing demos like touring around the Midwest last season but never stopped close to me. Im curious of the Sarge 95.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
No mounting point graphic printed on the ski? Sidewall?

I hope on the sidewall. I haven't got that far yet. :) I have a solid maple door on the bench that is getting fixed due to a dog trying to put a whole through it. :)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Measure the running surface and take its mid-point. That should be the spot.

Um, highly unlikely. Unless these are park skis, center of the running surface is very very unlikely to be the mount point. On a traditional ski mount point is -7 to -9cm from cord center. On a newer school ski -4 to -7cm.

Manufacturer recommendation is typically much more than the midpoint of the running surface. It's a question of ski shape, camber profile, tapers, intended use, etc etc etc.

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Um, highly unlikely. Unless these are park skis, center of the running surface is very very unlikely to be the mount point. On a traditional ski mount point is -7 to -9cm from cord center. On a newer school ski -4 to -7cm.

Manufacturer recommendation is typically much more than the midpoint of the running surface. It's a question of ski shape, camber profile, tapers, intended use, etc etc etc.

Um, maybe I should have been more clear:

I meant, for reference, compare the center of running surface (CRS) to the spot they marked on that ski. It might explain what they were up to when they made the mark. CRS is only a starting point for decisions about where to place a foot on a ski, but it's something.

Since tip and tail designs vary a lot nowadays from ski to ski, cord center isn't a very meaningful location. I don't hear any contemporary builders using that as a guide.

Now, what do you mean by "the mount point"; for what? Midpoint of the boot sole - boot sole center (BSC)?

I build skis and am aware of how foot location works on my various designs (11 now). On that experience, I'd stick my neck out and say that good starting point for most skis is putting the ball of the foot over the center of the running surface - I use the center of the big toe joint. Getting there varies by boot sole length - for some, that's known as stance "setback", or how far aft of CRS you need to move the BSC to land the ball of the foot of a given length over the CRS.

Yup, if you have eccentric rocker/camber or flex profile you may need to do something else. It can take some trial and error to find the sweet spot for a given ski, and skiers opinions on that will differ. The discussion gets even more interesting if you experiment with center of sidecut location in a design for a ski you expect to carve, e.g. These are all reasons I mount plates on skis and bindings on plates so I can move them around and experiment without putting lots of holes in skis. I've done that quite a bit.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Since tip and tail designs vary a lot nowadays from ski to ski, cord center isn't a very meaningful location. I don't hear any contemporary builders using that as a guide.

Lots of big custom builders do, simply because it is a simple reference for people who are mounting skis and choosing where to mount their bindings. Now how they determine that is more complex than just measuring the cord center, but it is an easy measurement for people at home mounting skis to rely on.

Praxis for instance (where "Boot center" is measured from cord center):

Piste_Jib_shape_specs_2018__36079.1505774091.1280.1280.jpg

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Fair enough. Maybe that's the only way to make sense of a ski with that many blended elements. From above, it looks pretty conventional.

Sponsor

Staff online