• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Send it, Mini Me!

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I never really appreciated the effort and energy it takes to get kids skiing, not to mention the cost.

Speaking of cost... The more you pay, the less effort and energy you need to put in. And the fewer of your bad habits they'll pick up.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Speaking of cost... The more you pay, the less effort and energy you need to put in. And the fewer of your bad habits they'll pick up.
The effort and energy is not expended on the skiing part...it's getting them dressed, getting their gear on them, getting them to the hill...the skiing part is relatively easy. Get them out, get them out often every day if possible, have them appropriately dressed, have fun but push for more....don't let them whine!

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
First day at Hidden Valley, NJ, age 2-1/2
JonF2.5.jpg

Mt Tremblant
Mt Tremblant 2000.jpg
Gore Mtn
gore 2008.jpg
Hunter Mtn, now at 6'4"
HJ13.JPG

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been a little frustrated because we had paid for several lessons this year and yet my 6yr old boy was mostly snowplowing, and backseat (even for a snowplow!) and A-framing AND looking straight down at his skis.

Zn-R_1E73TjIGprGUkokpmzrj6Uh_JBuUIFHaOtZpwLoohgLUprZSUQ7RVvygzTBZEy2RZDhluFcJkfRQ_04JzshgmrXDWh9uWjnUxtWdOC3Ma8tYFQeTuyEhvafuH1VTaYTIfLi8PuZSb6iqiCXVpeCHewCDLYh0FKJIgGPVSsyiCaRUxmorBFfnVy4UsEz3LwCjFWnxXzBQi45UaGJv1vrCDY5V4yD9gvDrR7VGd9GmgWudj_bVNu_JONZq0woCC0BhnvW5T31ZCBFLr1OEfjoD_te5qGUifLe8ZCoBcZ_fztWE2mc7iZKoxwWu_-jkJ8H3aDsfu8wS0-OTFkfn6_U5JGZclqJAfezBd4y3iMrohquZ-ABWQJz5n7o9kT7MEfj-ghTYSWL517yI_eHgnkvwVHXHw82zL0DHDKe0B8LLUejkMRMxfxSQ1iqcKjmFfALdu-wOYik2ybLc7LBB3TRqj9YuRtMbYe814j_j3jQt_ecK8PhondzVpvQ8d6L3-BUmO9dBH_shvDrLHeUKR59212-W75joPX1c8V-v-ys7Qx-rG6xsAZbmLUlpbmlafJVSmSqx2IvEJrDZZx6WgMFensStUc=w975-h731-no

Then I found myself skiing alone with him just a few weeks before the end of the season. So I sat down with him and described everything I wanted him to try. Get forward. Keep your skis parallel, feet closer together, look ahead. He says, "oh, you mean like we ski in the lessons?" I stifled the profanity and incredulity and said, "well, yeah, can you do that?"

Sure he says. This video was taken three runs later. I'm over the "why the *^%$ didn't you do that before and just settled in on proud. Of course, I left my ion air vid camera at home that day, so pardon crappy cell phone video. This is a black diamond by the way, his first time I felt comfortable taking him on one:

He skied 4 more days before season end, getting better each day. Hopefully that is in muscle memory come november. Obviously there are a million improvements still to make. But honestly, he went from the picture at the top to the video just by the revelation "daddy wants me to ski like we do in lessons". Flip of a switch.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
He is still waist steering and bracing on his outside ski. You can not tell a kid or anyone to "get their feet together or ski parrallel" both of those are consequences of good movements BTW I would also get off anything with pitch and stick to wide open flat as possible groomers until you see ....

Skills

1st - Leg Steering most people will claim that kids this young can not do it but the reality they are just making excuse for their own crappy teaching. I have seen kids as young as just turned 3 have some leg steering.

2nd - with leg steering you will start to see balance on their outside ski basically with out telling them, all though stepping games and one footed challenges can help a ton.

lose the poles as well....no reason for them at all.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
lose the poles as well....no reason for them at all.
One very good reason for them: Flats.

Sometimes we take them at the top of the run and give them back at the bottom. But I can't stand towing, and he likes the self-sufficiency. But I also believe some skiing just needs to be about having fun. "Skiing a black" and "skiing with poles" make him feel like he's accomplished something and renew him for the next "teaching session" whether its with me or with a real instructor.

Curious if by "leg steering" you mean using the inside ski, or tipping/turning, or perhaps both. He's actually using the inside ski and tipping to turn, not that it shows up well in that video. I credit his instructors.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I hope @kimmyt doesn't mind me adding this to the site.
I adore her Mini Me

Here is the skiing portion of the adventure.
13220579_10209908025084051_5478333490781139378_o.jpg