• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
I wondered if anyone would bring up Stein Ericksen. Even thought maybe I was thie only here who remembered his flips. His friend and compatriot Trygve Berge also showed us flips at Breckenridge when it opened. Some of the ski school members learned from or copied him. The instructors weren't real busy in those first days at Breck so they had time to spend honing their skills at aerial maneuvers. BTW, I thought I'd skied with some good skiers before I got to ski with Trygve. He was World Class, something I'd not seen in person, in action, before.

RiderRay

Getting off the lift
Skier
I even remember that he had a 10 or 15 minute spot on a local tv station in the mid 60's in the winter with a ski lesson on a ski deck. Never missed it and skied with him at Sugarbush twice.

James

Out There
Instructor
I wondered if anyone would bring up Stein Ericksen. Even thought maybe I was thie only here who remembered his flips. His friend and compatriot Trygve Berge also showed us flips at Breckenridge when it opened. Some of the ski school members learned from or copied him. The instructors weren't real busy in those first days at Breck so they had time to spend honing their skills at aerial maneuvers. BTW, I thought I'd skied with some good skiers before I got to ski with Trygve. He was World Class, something I'd not seen in person, in action, before.
Wow, amazing. I have a Breck poster of Trygve I got on ebay like 20 years ago. He’s doing that reverse shoulder position with feet together and smiling. Were you taught that or that was much earlier?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Was a very junior instructor for Berge at Breck in 66? . Worked at Park West back in its' day early 70's; there a day Stein and 2 of his proteges showed up for a day. Erickson was the fastest smoothest skier I have ever seen. Berge was very good, Stein was the next level. That is why Stein took the gold.

Bob Simpson

Putting on skis
Skier
"Popular lore is that Lonnie “accidentally “ skied Corbet’s"
Lonnie is a smart man, so the fact that there's "lore" involved helped make it a "win-win" situation! Keep his job/free skiing and make skiing history!

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
Wow, amazing. I have a Breck poster of Trygve I got on ebay like 20 years ago. He’s doing that reverse shoulder position with feet together and smiling. Were you taught that or that was much earlier?
I wasn't taught to ski when I got my first skis in the mid 1940's. We just got on'em and went downhill. Of course later tried to emulate reverse shoulder with feet together, as with other techniques, I wasn't especially good at it. It was amazing to watch Trygve and others (maybe Bad Bob?) Wedel down the slopes at Breck back in the day.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our relationship with the Hall of Fame has offered us first hand experience with icons in the industry.
I remember standing in a room and seeing Claus Obermeyer, Sven Coomer, Andre' Molterer, Chuck Ferries, and Hermann Golner standing together.
The only thing that could have made it better is if Stein had been alive at the time to be in the same circle.

Speaking of which, Claus Obermeyer created the first down jacket. Not a free skiing accomplishment but definitely a big accomplishment in ski clothing.

Sponsor

Staff online