• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
We've been to the area twice, and are going again in January. We stayed in Corvara (twice) and Campitello (once).

The Sella Ronda is surrounded by four major townships, and a few smaller villages. Selva / Val Gardena (in the north west), Canazei (south west), Arabba (south east) and Corvara (north east). Colfosco is next to Corvara, Campitello and Alba surround Canazei. Alba recently received a cable car connecting it to the Belvedere region. It's a cooperative region, and they churn profits back into the infrastructure - the investment in lifts and snowmaking is simply amazing.

Here we are skiing into Corvara one afternoon, with the Sassonger looming above town.

Corvara - Skiing into Town.jpg

As has been mentioned above, the area is mostly about green and blue runs on piste. Most locals are bombing around on narrow carvers, GS cheater skis, slalom cheater skis or narrow all mountain skis - that kind of thing. You won't see a lot of big, fat powder boards. The Dolomiti Superski pass includes 450 lifts, and they groom 1,200km of piste every night, so you're certainly not getting bored lapping the same run all day. Most days are all about going somewhere (and trying to get back) rather than bouncing up and down the same hill. It's easy to be 25km away from home having lunch (the lunches are fabulous by the way) and then have to plot a course for home, hoping to make it before last lifts so you're not stuck in the wrong valley and needing a taxi home. Even if you do get stuck just head for the nearest bar and celebrate the fact there are taxis to take you home. It's a lot of fun.

The below map is about 50km wide. Lifts are in red, runs are in blue. The Sella Massif is in the very center of the map with a square of lifts and runs surrounding it - that's the Sella Ronda. The Marmolada Glacier is toward the bottom, center-right. You can get from almost any lift on that map to almost any other lift on skis. The very lower left section (surrounding the included photo) would require a bus trip there and back. And the Falzarego Pass (the Hidden Valley at Lagazuoi) which is on the right edge of the map requires a bus to get there, although the gypsies pull you out of the valley afterwards behind a horse-drawn sleigh.

Dolomiti Lift Map - Sella Ronda.jpg

The below shot (dragged off the web) is a view to the Marmolada Glacier (above the lady in red) taken from the Alta Badia hills above Corvara. The mountain at right is the eastern face of the Sella Massif.

Corvara - Panorama.jpg

This next shot is one I took from the top of the Marmolada, looking down the groomed piste as you ski down the glacier. This piste is actually in the first panorama shot - the shaded slope beneath the saw-toothed ridge at the top of the mountain above the two people on the left. Just to give you an idea of how it all works, you can ski from one place to the other inside a few hours.

Corvara - Marmolada.JPG

There's something like ten Michelin starred restaurants in the area if you're a foodie. Otherwise there's a long list of fabulous rifugio (mountain huts) to choose from. And they all seem to have great food (and the house red is usually worthwhile as well).

If you feel like a challenge there are off piste adventures skiing off the Sella Massif itself (among others). The Massif is accessed from a cable car at Passo Pordoi. Get yourself a local guide and there are couloirs galore, allowing you to get 'extreme' if that's your thing.

German is spoken about as widely as Italian. The local dialect is called 'Ladin' and is different again.

There's no shortage of accommodation, and it's a matter of deciding how you're getting into the region, then choosing a village. I find Arabba loses the sun early behind the Marmolada, and it gets cold and icy. Mind you, that keeps the snow in good condition. Val Gardena is the largest of the local towns. Canazei and Campitello are down in a valley and lose the sun reasonably early as well. Corvara gets the sun later into the day.

If you wanted to spend a day or two skiing Cortina d'Ampezzo then it would be best to stay in Corvara. Buses run between the two regularly each day. Corvara is also best placed to access an area known as Kronplatz to the north east.

You can probably tell we love it. The on-piste skiing isn't challenging at all- there are only a handful of black runs in the area - but everything else is just fantastic.

Hope you enjoy your trip in 2018/19.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
To clarity my point and as the photo shows, all the skiers tend to bunch together, there is not one skier to the left of the lift ?
IMHO - most skiers I observed moved in single file and only on groomed portions of the runs leaving some really good snow.... let's just call it, the side of the trail not necessarily off piste.
I went back and looked at the photo again. Only a few of the skiers are actually moving, and even fewer are moving down the hill!

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
WOW, thanks @sinbad7

Looks amazing, and the terrain is exactly would will fit my needs.

Feel free to post more photos is you have them.

And yes... we love great food

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Here are a few extra shots. Just what was laying around in my machine at the office.

A view from the top of the Arabba cable car looking northwards, back towards the Alta Badia region and Corvara. I took this one back in 2011. The white mountains at the very top of shot are in Austria, I believe.

Corvara - Arabba Cable Car.JPG

A beautiful little church at the top of Santa Croce at Badia. Top of the lift found at the top right in the map I posted above.

Corvara - Santa Croce.jpg

The Gran Risa run above La Villa in Alta Badia (stock photo from the web). This is the Italian World Cup GS and Slalom run, and is one of the few black runs to be found in the area. It's a good one. There's a fantastic restaurant attaching to the rifugio at the top of this run. Can't remember the name ... it's a glass room to the right of the rifugio; look for the blood red carpet.

Corvara - Gran Risa 3.jpg

This will give you an idea of the terrain. This is (again) a stock photo showing the Alta Badia hills above Corvara. As you can see, it's all about skiing from one lift to another to get yourself around the countryside on piste. Some of the slopes don't have enough pitch to ski off piste in any sort of new snow. Still, you just fang down there, through the woods, get on another lift taking you up to the ridge and pretty soon you're in another valley, another village, another part of the world. Stop somewhere for lunch, then try to get back home again.

Corvara - view 3.jpg

This is coming into Corvara on the Borest lift - a 'travelling', horizontal lift - heading eastwards into the town. Since this photo was taken (and I can't recall if it's my own photo or not) the Borest lift was taken out in an avalanche off the Sella Massif (in 2014 or 2015) and replaced with a new gondola.

Corvara - Village from Borest Lift.jpg

All the lifts are electronic and they track your progress. At the end of the trip you can download a few stats. From memory, in 2011 I skied 10 days, 176,000 vertical feet, estimated as ~325km travelled.

The morning uplift can involve a queue from each village. After that there are so many lifts, and people generally aren't skiing back into the same town, so the lift lines are pretty short. The Sella Ronda can have a wait at each lift (not long) but you can easily avoid the busy lifts.

Being a cooperative area they put lifts on the farmers' land. Tracking people's access to each lift means they can pay the farmers a royalty for each use of the lift. That way the farmers are generally keen to have a lift installed. In summer they don't get in the way, and in winter the farmers get an income from dormant land that can't be grazed by livestock. It's a win-win situation.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
The whole region is ridiculously picturesque. It's off-the-scale beautiful. The whole of the Dolomites mountain range used to be a sea bed, so you can find little seashell fossils in the rock.

Then, just when you think it's as beautiful as can be, all the mountains turn pink for a short while in the evening light.

cold 1.jpg

cold 2.jpg

This next shot is Mario. I expect he's skiing the Ciampac powder bowl above Alba. Mario runs Dolomites Ski Tours out of Campitello, although you can also stay in Corvara through the same company.

Mario.JPG

http://www.dolomitesskitours.com.au/

We were skiing with Mario in Thredbo about three weeks back, along with four or five of his ski guides. We're in one of his web site photos if you can find us.

They run a thing called a "ski safari". You start in one village, ski across country for the day, stay in a mountain-top rifugio, get first tracks the next morning, then ski somewhere else the next day. Rinse and repeat.

How much more fun can you have? The answer being: "how much more funds have you got?"

Sponsor

Staff online