• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And because some people seem to live under rocks...

This is at a job site on Summit Gulch Road. I don't know if it was the construction guys or some passer bys. The materials, except for the book, were from the job site.

I reported this to the volunteer Trail Hosts at the Dredge parking lot. One of them had lost their home in the Morgan fire so this was rather poignant for her.

View attachment 48896
View attachment 48892 View attachment 48893 View attachment 48894 View attachment 48895
HOLY CRAP!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Colorado State Patrol posted this on Facebook.
FB_IMG_1531048170108.jpg

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Latest wildfire update
FB_IMG_1531091881442.jpg

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The heavens opened up this afternoon in Breck - I don't know how much rain it really was, but it fell hard while it lasted, and it seemed to last a while, off and on. We got an early start to the McCullough Gulch hike - it literally started pouring within seconds of getting into the car. Phew. I hope it helps. I saw a big lightning bolt and wondered if we'd be unlucky enough to have lightning start a fire even amid the rain.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
"ATTN: Vail, Avon, Eagle-Vail, Beaver Creek, Minturn, Edwards, Avon, and surrounding areas : prepare for an extended power outage due to #redcanyonfire." Sounds like this one was caused by lightning this afternoon.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"ATTN: Vail, Avon, Eagle-Vail, Beaver Creek, Minturn, Edwards, Avon, and surrounding areas : prepare for an extended power outage due to #redcanyonfire." Sounds like this one was caused by lightning this afternoon.

Well, I guess that answers that. Sigh.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
looked like Buff pass and rabbit ears got rain last night, lots of lightning which of course is not needed. We got about 27 drops here in town, Fortunately, the smoke is light. We hiked up to Thunderhead on the mountain on Saturday and could see the layer of smoke trapped in the Valley.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
10 fires in Colorado? :eek:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
10 fires in Colorado? :eek:

My friend and client north of Silverthorne had a lightning strike on the property he manages. The FF came and took care of it so it was 11 for a short period yesterday. They returned this morning and were happy with the outcome.

180709 - bob sweet - 36893560_10211459337381698_6198862724210884608_n.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There seem to be at least 13 right now.
Ugh.
We're getting some out here, but nothing like Colorado.

Drones are a real problem with the fire fighting crews. WTH is wrong with these drone loving idiots.

We planned on going for a mt bike ride near Carson tomorrow early (before it gets too hot) but there is a fire near the trail we were planning on riding.
Fire fighting efforts from the air were halted for over 20 minutes today because of a drone sighting.
I heard that a similar situation (only worse) happened at the Christine Lake fire.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ugh.
We're getting some out here, but nothing like Colorado.

Drones are a real problem with the fire fighting crews. WTH is wrong with these drone loving idiots.

Their drones and they're drones.

It is hard to believe the lack of awareness that goes on in our communities despite the world's most advanced social and news media technology being literally in people's back pocket.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Although ... I know it will sound heartless, but there are a lot of fires every damn year in Colorado. Either there's a dry spring and there are fires, or there's a wet spring and the grasses grow tall and then when it's dry in the summer, there are fires
That's the difficulty, as an outsider ... knowing whether this is a normal level or if it's abnormal. Last year, in Portland, it was easy ... ash and smoke was almost unheard of.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is going to be a hard one to put out. Lots of fuel there. :(

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Fire fighting efforts from the air were halted for over 20 minutes today because of a drone sighting...

Why does a drone sighting halt the effort? You mean just the planes or helicopters fighting the fire? Or does the effort of folks on the ground halt too for some reason?

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why does a drone sighting halt the effort? You mean just the planes or helicopters fighting the fire? Or does the effort of folks on the ground halt too for some reason?
There are others here who may be able to answer better, but I believe @pais alto explained that, when air support is halted, quite often the ground crews can't do much.

Sponsor