• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My daughter, who lives in old Snowmass, was under pre-evacuation notice last night for Basalt fire...and luckily the winds changed direction.
I couldn't upload her video to this site, but here is a screen shot of it.
Screenshot_20180704-092101.png
These pictures (stolen from Facebook) were taken at a ranch looking at The Springs Fire. This is affecting a large area from La Veta/Walsenburg to the San Louis Valley. I have friends in La Veta and a friend that owns a campground outside of the Great Sand Dunes that are on pre-evacuation notice.
fire.jpg
fire2.jpg

Attachments

• fire3.jpg
    fire3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 7

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Colorado's wildfires are making news in the worst kind of way.
To all our friends living in these areas, please check in.
Stay safe out there.
Near Basalt
Durango
Wyoming/Colorado border

Slight smoke haze in the air the past few days here in Denver. No significant rains in the high country lately. Its just bone dry. Been like that since last year.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 10.09.49 AM.png

Reactions: Ron

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Basalt fire is blowing up right now. I'm just sitting here watching the smoke billow and saying prayers ...

1:14 pm:
fullsizeoutput_51f0.jpeg

1:23 pm:
UPnSXD2bR0KU7P024OQ2+Q.jpg

1:44 pm:
IMG_5451.JPG

1:46 pm:
IMG_5452.JPG

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh. Shockingly, it seems most are obeying the fireworks ban here as I’ve not heard any but I’m definitely scared. There was a grass fire about a quarter mile from me a couple weeks ago that scared the shit out of me.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This was posted by a friend of a friend on FB last night.
Amy lives in Basalt
36659289_10216071694246446_2273818951370670080_n.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The "best" part about the Basalt fire is that it started at the gun range, someone shooting tracer rounds. Yep. #peoplearestillidiots
According to the news there is a summons for the two but they are not in custody.
Imagine the destruction. They have to be nervous as heck. I bet they have retained attorneys

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This was posted by a friend of a friend on FB last night.
Amy lives in Basalt
36659289_10216071694246446_2273818951370670080_n.jpg

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

@SBrown Hope everyone there is ok and your property safe this is terrible

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ugh. Shockingly, it seems most are obeying the fireworks ban here as I’ve not heard any but I’m definitely scared. There was a grass fire about a quarter mile from me a couple weeks ago that scared the shit out of me.

Pretty quiet around here - a few little pops. I hadn't even thought of the fire connection, but duh.

Although ... I know it will sound heartless, but there are a lot of fires every damn year in Colorado. Either there's a dry spring and there are fires, or there's a wet spring and the grasses grow tall and then when it's dry in the summer, there are fires. It's still horrifying for those involved, but it seems like the price of admission, like hurricanes on the coast or tornados in the midwest or earthquakes on the other coast.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Pretty quiet around here - a few little pops. I hadn't even thought of the fire connection, but duh.

Although ... I know it will sound heartless, but there are a lot of fires every damn year in Colorado. Either there's a dry spring and there are fires, or there's a wet spring and the grasses grow tall and then when it's dry in the summer, there are fires. It's still horrifying for those involved, but it seems like the price of admission, like hurricanes on the coast or tornados in the midwest or earthquakes on the other coast.

So true.

Yea, only thing is the sheer amount of dead trees nowadays due to bettle kill. When I first came to Colorado in 1989 the forests were MUCH healthier.

Those trees are just standing there waiting to burn or fall. Would be cool to harvest them for wood or something.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
So true.

Yea, only thing is the sheer amount of dead trees nowadays due to bettle kill. When I first came to Colorado in 1989 the forests were MUCH healthier.

Those trees are just standing there waiting to burn or fall. Would be cool to harvest them for wood or something.

Good point. I do see a lot cut down; not sure about them getting moved.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
It was raining ash all afternoon in Eagle yesterday while we were there. The smell of smoke was everywhere. On the way home the sun was a big red spot in the clouds in the rear-view mirror.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

@SBrown Hope everyone there is ok and your property safe this is terrible

All is well here (by which I mean, my own house), we even had 46 raindrops today. But please don’t forget those down in the Spring Creek fire, which is over 100k acres and has destroyed over 250 homes so far (I think that’s the last I heard.) Something like the third-biggest fire ever in CO?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
On the news this evening, three homes have been lost in the Lake Catherine (Basalt, Colorado) fire. Two of the three houses were owned by firefighters...who also happen to be brothers.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...hting-lake-christine-fire/73-570472225pprings fir

The Spring fire "was" the 3rd largest fire in Colorado as of yesterday, but it is nowhere near contained & could easily become our largest.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...in-colorado-history-at-more-than-94-000-acres
https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/wildfires/colorados-10-largest-wildfires/73-570314937

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
DhX1832UEAEZZM9.jpg

At the Weston Pass fire ... I mean, a tornado in Fairplay?? The world has gone insane.