• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Seeking an alternative to Snowshoe WV.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
Our son has a long weekend mid-march and I was thinking about sneaking off for a little ski trip before our spring break trip to Copper Mountain. I've been looking at Snowshoe and while the skiing ends up being reasonable the lodging prices are steep especially when most options seem very dated. There is also the drive, which from our home in Ohio is about 6.5 hours and even though its been years since I've been there I remember 219 being a bear. I recall most of the terrain being similar in pitch but much longer than the runs at our home ski hill of Perfect North Slopes so that is a plus for my wife who will likely be on skis for the first time since 2010.

I briefly looked at Seven Springs but the lodging there seems to be even more expensive at least when booked through the resort.

Are there any other places I should look at?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Lodging at 7S is pricey only if you stay on-mountain and there are a lot of off-mountain options- much more so than at Snowshoe. Depending on snow, you may have the option of skiing 3 different areas (Laurel, 7S and Hidden Valley)

219 should be fairly OK mid-March; always excepting freako blizzards (which would actually be a good thing for you, better snow to ski on).

Between 7S and the 'shoe you have the only two areas with remotely enough snowmaking to be able to say anything about mid-March. It sounds like you're coming from around Cincinnati? Would you be willing to drive to Holiday Valley in NY?

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm between Cincinnati and Dayton. Besides the costs of on-mountain lodging the other thing that worries me is that it seems like 7S has struggled with snow the last season or two, much more so than Snowshoe.

I'd consider any place with a similar or shorter driver that has decent skiing to make it worth the trip. I looked very briefly at Boyne but that's pushing the limits for driving after school/work.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
If Seven Springs is "struggling with snow" in Mid-March it will be because of weather, not the snowmaking. Check weather conditions before you go. Seven Springs hotel packages give you ski in/out at 7 Springs. Pass is good at Laurel and Hidden Valley. The package deal also gives you breakfast too. It will be much better than motel "continental breakfasts." These packages could sell out. As cantunamunch says, there are private condo and home rentals nearby in addition to standard chain motels in Donegal about 15 minutes west at the turnpike exit.

teebrews

Poachin' your zit hill
Skier
Pass Pulled
You could plan Mid-March 2 days in advance. Check out Canaan Valley State Park and WISP, MD (conditions permitting) for the shortest drives. WISP tends to stay open in March, I skied there last March. I do like the W. NY idea (cantunamunch), but it's a long drive. I'd love to check out Holiday Valley or Bristol Mtn. someday.

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Holiday Valley, NY seems like the best alternative and should be about the same distance. There is a private ski area next to it that is open to the public on weekdays (check details, my intel may be dated)

I love skiing at Boyne but it's a long ways for a short trip. It always has good snow condtions through March and even most of April most years.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, easy to find cheap motels last minute in March in Donegal or Sommerset, PA. Seven Springs is usually still pretty good skiing into March (although not guaranteed) and crowds are small unless fresh snow just before the weekend.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Holiday Valley, NY seems like the best alternative and should be about the same distance. There is a private ski area next to it that is open to the public on weekdays (check details, my intel may be dated)

The private hill near Holiday Valley is Holimont. Yes, open to public on weekdays.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ended up deciding on Snowshoe after all. I looked at Seven Springs and Holiday Valley but I wanted to stay slope side since I am going to have to deal with equipment for three people and Snowshoe ended up being the most reasonable.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Mid to late March is iffy, but if they have snow I'd be looking at Blue Knob for best value slopeside lodging, really good terrain (great terrain if Extrovert is open), and not too far from most of Ohio. Their snowmaking isn't as good as Snowshoe or 7 Springs though. I'd say probably about 75% as good as those other places. Wait and see what Mother Nature has to say around the end of February.

jdm00

Putting on skis
Skier
We are from Cincinnati but have season passes at Snowshoe. March is pretty decent unless it warms up too much.

As for the travel, I've made it in 5:50 (traveling quickly, only one stop) from downtown Cincinnati to Snowshoe. They do a pretty good job on 219 from Elkins, and I've not had any problems on 32-50 via Clarksburg if you go that way. (The fastest way for us is to take the Double A across Kentucky to 64 and then go up 79, rather than coming down 79 from Clarksburg.)

Enjoy!

Sponsor

Staff online