• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
On ski days I carry my moto g smartphone in the top left pocket of either of two jackets I wear. I use the smartphone to make cellphone texts or calls, to sometimes run the Ski Tracks app, and to take pictures with the phone's 14mp camera. Other lift riders watching what I am doing taking pictures, sometimes ask about the way I am securing the smartphone. Of course in this era, our smartphones may have considerable personal value none of us wants to lose. Thus the following explanation below for forum users on what I have done.

The basic issue of concern is anything one removes from pockets and holds while riding lifts, potentially might be dropped thus lost. Especially if one takes pictures frequently as I tend to do. Additionally while skiing on slopes and stopping to take pictures, one might drop a smartphone into the snow that while unlikely to be lost, might get water inside the housing and eventually the delicate electronics causing a failure. So I created this solution that I would expect can be duplicated by anyone with minor time, effort, and simple cheap materials. Attached 3 images show what was done.

moto-g_back1.jpg

This first images above shows a back side view of my moto g smartphone with the top end at frame right. Like other smartphones, the back side has a cover that helps protect inner elements including the SIMM socket that in this design is below the blue plastic cover at upper right in the image. It is the only area on this design below the plastic back cover that is not flush with metal beneath. That is because to insert a SIMM into a socket from a cellphone side edge there must be a small area in the casing that is lower than the rest of the housing that is air space. It is into that tiny air space location that with the back side cover removed, I drilled 2 small holes into the cover just a bit behind where an inserted SIMM memory resides. Such small diameter drills to do so ought be available at hardware or craft stores.

Into the holes, I inserted a short length of 20 pound monofilament fishing line down one hole and back up through the other on which I tied a knot with a resulting small loop of adequate size for attaching a small lanyard clip. I used Gorilla Glue to make sure the knot would never come lose.

moto-g_back2.jpg

This next image above shows the backside metal housing of the moto g with the plastic cover at frame left removed to show its inner side. Note the edge of the red hued SIMM that is inserted in its socket. Also on this model is a black hued external micro SD card below it. The small space behind those memory devices is where there is air space in order to be able to push the memory devices into their smartphone sockets. And that is where I correspondingly drilled the 2 tiny holes in the plastic cover to create an attachment feature.

moto-g_parka3.jpg

This third image shows the corresponding securing modification to my Salomon parka top left pocket into which I put the smartphone. The pocket has a zipper with a zipper pull. Thus tied a small diameter climbing shop utility cord to the zipper pull with the other end tied to small lanyard clips that I could attach around the monofilament line loop. Each knot was also secured with Gorilla Glue. The service length of the cord was long enough that after removing the smartphone, I can raise the phone up to my eye height. For my design, I chose to use 2 clips for added security. This could be implemented in similar ways with other like materials.

Using this system I can rapidly remove my smartphone, take a picture, and return it back into my pocket. On the moto g running the Android OS, the Power button once the smartphone has booted up, also functions as a display on/off/on momentary toggle button that I use to conserve battery power when not otherwise in use. If it is in camera shooting mode when actuated, the LCD display goes off and inhibits any screen touch controls. Thus to take a picture, I remove the smartphone from my pocket, actuate the power button bringing the LCD screen back on, and it comes up just where I left it ready to take a photo by simply touching anywhere on the LCD screen. Completed I actuate the Power button to shut off the display, drop the smartphone back into the pocket, grab the zipper pull, and slide the zipper shut.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
Thank you @SSSdave ! All season I've been wishing to be able to tale my phome out on the lift. This looks feasible!!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I did something similar. I used a cheap snap-together case (specific to my phone model) that I bought at one of those kioisks in the mall. I added a lanyard from an old thumb drive (USB memory stick) from way back when thumb drives were a big deal. The key is that the attachment loop on the lanyard is a small-diameter cord. It has the added benefit of a quick-disconnect clip on the lanyard.

The duct tape is because the snap-together snaps quit holding after a couple of seasons.

20180321_064658.jpg

20180321_064742.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are several after market box’s/case’s that provide waterproofing and attachment points depending on your smart phone model WITHOUT creating more water access points.

The second issue is enjoy life. While we may think that we must be in touch continuously, if you forget your phone in the car or at home life goes on and you may actually have more fun enjoying life.

I carry a phone 24/7 as a lifeline for my son, seizure and memory issues, I’ll respond to calls from his cell (special ring) as it can be an emergency, everyone else sorry, my “funtime” is important for my health so you can wait.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
While we may think that we must be in touch continuously, if you forget your phone in the car or at home life goes on and you make actually have more fun enjoying life.

Ahhh, it is mostly a camera. Just an occasional "where are we meeting text".

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I'm a bit like oldschoolskier, it's my fun time.....And in order to read anything on the phone I need to get the readers out. So I wait till I'm on terra firma as it's too much of a production to read anything.

But I have wondered about some type of attachment. I have a ski buddy that uses part of his camera holder, which would be similar to mdf's flash drive lasso. I looked over my otter box, but don't see anywhere to attach anything.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Anyone ever had your smartphone freeze up after being in your pocket while skiing?
My battery was at 85%, and the phone itself wasn't actually cold. But the screen refused to respond.

This has happened several times. Each time the battery says it has energy left. If I wait a long time, it finally decides to work.

Brand new iPhone 6S, and me a first-time smartphone owner.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Anyone ever had your smartphone freeze up after being in your pocket while skiing?
My battery was at 85%, and the phone itself wasn't actually cold. But the screen refused to respond.

This has happened several times. Each time the battery says it has energy left. If I wait a long time, it finally decides to work.

Is it in an insulated pocket?

James

Out There
Instructor

Yes, I have had it shut down. Too cold or hot and it turns off. Likely the tropical PNW skiers don't encounter this. They always want to vent everything. Esp helmets.ogsmile

Inside layer pocket is necessary to keep it warm. The water resistant cases help a bit for outside pocket. Don't think I had it shutdown with that.
Or maybe geta full neoprene sleeve case if they exist.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm a bit like oldschoolskier, it's my fun time.....And in order to read anything on the phone I need to get the readers out. So I wait till I'm on terra firma as it's too much of a production to read anything.

But I have wondered about some type of attachment. I have a ski buddy that uses part of his camera holder, which would be similar to mdf's flash drive lasso. I looked over my otter box, but don't see anywhere to attach anything.
Consider the lifeproof box, I’ve had both and IMHO the Lifeproof is better and lasts longer. My lifeproof has a sling slot.

Now I use a Tech21, not the same protect of as the lifeproof, but slimmer and I like it more.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier

Normally if temperature is an issue, the phone will actually feel cold and the battery will die and phone will switch off. Try ensuring the screen is locked with a code, sometimes movement and pressure on the touch screen can result in stuff inadvertently being selected (variations of butt dialing). Otherwise hand warmer in cellphone pocket does the trick.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
The one thing that makes me feel old, motivating me to consider lens replacement surgery in the next couple of years.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier

Just put a chemical heat pack (toes or hands) in the same pocket as your phone to keep it warm.

TS
SSSdave

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
For those with smartphone battery issues I will suggest the following BigBlue 6000mAh Power Bank Battery Charger I've had most of a year that is slim, similar in shape to a small cellphone with a similar 6.4 ounce weight.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M35W3BU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41QqEmnrC7L.jpg

My unit is however the red model. The unit besides being a power bank charger also has a hand warmer feature that could help keep a cold pocket warmer and an LED flashlight feature. There are also many smaller and larger power bank products and I also own a heavier 11,000 maHr unit while this unit hits the sweet spot being just about the right capacity while not being too bulky or heavy. Note one will also need to buy a minimally short USB cable. Last week while storm skiing, I and miss j had to communicate so much to link up in the early morning that by time we got to Heavenly resort, my moto g battery level was too drained so I piggybacked this unit into my parka small upper left pocket right behind the smartphone. Indeed a bit heavier but did not seem to notice the extra bulk. Thus some value of implementing a lanyard directly onto a smartphone body keeping bulk at a minimum.

Although I have a protective external case for my moto g, it does add enough modest bulk so remove it for skiing per my above post. Otherwise I put nothing else into that parka pocket. Although the 2 drilled holes decrease water resistance slightly, such is not an issue in snow because frozen snow won't get in through such tiny holes if drilled to just barely fit the monofilament line. Rather in any case, a rear case won't stop water from getting in from a water dunking say if one is hiking fording a stream.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
There are cases with tethers to attach to a parka that cost a very reasonable amount.

And, the day at Blackcomb when I was on the lift and saw a boarder on the run under the lift take a tumble...he slid down the run, and his phone slid out of his pocket and down the run faster than he was going....

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I witnessed a spectacular "windmill" fall of a skier today, as I rode high above on the lift.
I'm sure the fellow was fine and well. He held his phone camera high, even as he slid 25 yards down slope from where he had released his grip on his ski poles.

"Step away from the i phone! There is no satisfaction contained there."

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thanks for the neat idea OP, and the followups!

(FWIW, I remove my phone very carefully from my pocket when necessary on lift . . . and usually only over terrain I could ski to if necessary).

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple items I have:
8AE51A41-3BA0-48F6-AE3A-50BEBD93FF77.jpeg
C62A6D15-B6E3-4620-982A-191F71507DFE.jpeg

I like taking photos from the chairlift and these help me feel more secure.

Sponsor