• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jully

Putting on skis
Skier
If you are dead set on Colorado, then Vail, Breck and Keystone are good bets. However, no matter where you go you will be dependent on snow making hence the three I mentioned. Snowfall amounts may not be enough to open significant terrain. That time of year is borderline whether conditions are great or just good - ie 2014 was a little lean. See the chart below for the last three years at Breck. I looked into Whistler and other Vail Resorts and the snowfall story is about the same. However, Steamboat did have better snowfall. Also agree to booking a week prior, but deals might be had now.

Courtesy of www.onthesnow.com - good tools for looking at historical snowfall.

View attachment 27749
Do you know if onthesnow or a similar website has a similar tool but for "percent open" or something like that? I'm looking at onthesnow now and can't find anything.

Could also be useful beyond snowfall as that would take snowmaking into account.

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
Do you know if onthesnow or a similar website has a similar tool but for "percent open" or something like that? I'm looking at onthesnow now and can't find anything.

Could also be useful beyond snowfall as that would take snowmaking into account.

That would be pretty cool - but I have nothing!

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So, check this, for us to fly Detroit to Denver, $212 return. For us to fly Toronto to Vancouver, over $600 return. So we're going to book flights to Denver and thinking Beaver Creek/Vail. That make sense? What say you Colorado....ites... :D

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Never mind found some thing that might be useful

http://bestsnow.net/seas17.htm

December 16th 2016

View attachment 27756

December 16th 2015

View attachment 27757

Wow, @SBrown was spot on. Copper 101% of normal snow, 31% open. Vail, 70% of normal snow, 76% open. Year before Copper 96% of normal snow, 34% open. Vail 87% of normal snow, 78% open.

I've always thought of Copper as a place that gets terrain open reasonably quickly. But that's why I appreciate communities like this one. I can learn from others!

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
I traveled west to Summit / Eagle Counties for years in mid December. Most years Vail was hands down better than anything in Summit County. The slightly lower altitude is a bonus as the snow is just moist enough to stick around and create a better base at this point in the season.

Muleski

Inactive
Vail {the ski area} and BC are enormous in tens of their early season snowmaking. Know that first hand from two friends who are big factors in that segment of the industry, as well as from my own experience there in early December.

They would be recommendation for a safe mid-December bet. There are others that could work out really well...or not. Jackson Hole, Sun Valley, Mammoth, and the big guys in Utah.

I'd head to Eagle County, stay right in Vail Village for the ski in-ski out, and alter if needed. Personally, if the snow is there, with a toddler, I would prefer Steamboat. With no budget AND snow, Aspen.

Just my $.02. Have family in all thee places, so I'm reasonably well informed.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Dumb eh! I use Syracuse. Would Buffalo be closer?
Yeah Buffalo is closer but connector flight. Detroit flies direct. And really, it's only about a 3 hour drive..3.5 maybe..versus 1.5. For the direct flight a little more safe. We've used Buffalo before though for sure.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Yeah Buffalo is closer but connector flight. Detroit flies direct. And really, it's only about a 3 hour drive..3.5 maybe..versus 1.5. For the direct flight a little more safe. We've used Buffalo before though for sure.

Can't argue that. Direct is much better.

I grew up in Toronto, and flew everywhere from Buffalo :) especially the Buffalo Jet Blue flights!

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
So, check this, for us to fly Detroit to Denver, $212 return. For us to fly Toronto to Vancouver, over $600 return. So we're going to book flights to Denver and thinking Beaver Creek/Vail. That make sense? What say you Colorado....ites... :D

I think it is a righteous plan! You have Vail Village and Avon and you can get your slope side. Vail does a great job at getting terrain open so it makes sense.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
So...my travel plans have changed AGAIN... :huh: I think I'm back to the gathering in Utah in March. We'll see!! Family is fickle....:doh:

And thank you everyone for taking the time to respond, it's greatly appreciated!

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
So...my travel plans have changed AGAIN... :huh: I think I'm back to the gathering in Utah in March. We'll see!! Family is fickle....:doh:

And thank you everyone for taking the time to respond, it's greatly appreciated!
No,, the family is back to Utah in Mar. You did all of this work, you are going skiing CO in Dec. then with the family in Mar.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
No,, the family is back to Utah in Mar. You did all of this work, you are going skiing CO in Dec. then with the family in Mar.
Maybe! I think I'll have to stay in Park City if we manage March. Canadians just have to be different, eh?! :eek::D

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Ok so back to this..Denver is looking like a go. Is Breck a good place for kids? And how hard is it to get Avs tix??

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok so back to this..Denver is looking like a go. Is Breck a good place for kids? And how hard is it to get Avs tix??

Not very!

Actually, it depends on who they are playing ... I checked schedule and second week Dec home games are FL and TB, so it will be really easy.

Sponsor