• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Ok, so I hate these kinds of questions but there's a wealth of knowledge here... So second week of December, who has good snow ( I know I know..) and decent terrain? Has to be ski-in/ski-out, price isn't a huge issue and, most importantly, a toddler has to be entertained for this week!! Beaver Creek? Aspen? I'm thinking something with a town is more likely to provide some fun for the kid but the ski-in/out thing is hard in a town. Help!!!

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh geez, that's tough. I wouldn't count on Beaver Creek as it's too low. Maybe Breck?

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat? They normally get decent Dec snow

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A-Basin & Loveland? Stay in Silverthorne?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
...Has to be ski-in/ski-out...

A-Basin & Loveland? Stay in Silverthorne?

No ski-in/ski-out options here,

II think Copper is a decent bet. They have an amazing snow making system, and the US Speed camp will be wrapping up by then, so if nothing else you'll have long cruisers with a bullet-proof base on the Super-Bee pod.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My bad, didn't see that.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No ski-in/ski-out options here,

II think Copper is a decent bet. They have an amazing snow making system, and the US Speed camp will be wrapping up by then, so if nothing else you'll have long cruisers with a bullet-proof base on the Super-Bee pod.

Maybe. The thing with Copper is, even if the mountain is ready (naturally), not much else will be open until the third week in December. Vail is a better bet, because they actually open terrain.

What I would do is just plan to come to Colorado (ie, book flights to Denver) that week, and then adjust your location based on what's going on snow-wise. You won't have any trouble with lodging at that point.

Other places do well early on (often Jackson, for instance) but there is such a glut of resorts right close in CO, you can decide once the weather actually happens (or not).

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Keystone, stay at Keystone.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Whistler would probably be the most assured snow that early and there is a town.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
thats usually a pivotable week; what date are you arriving? we typically have really good snow by the second week towards the 3rd but as you know, no promises. we have had a very dry summer so of course that means we will have a very snowy winter. :Cristmassnow:

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Time would likely be arrive on the 10th and leave on the 16th. Something like that. Keystone looks like a good kids place..no chance of snow? I like SBrown's plan..just show up and see what's good. I like Whistler..however..it's galling to pay more to fly to Vancouver than Oslo!!! But Whistler is not owned by Intrawest anymore so that grudge is shot down...

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
you will know who has the goods at least a couple days prior to arrival so you could just wait and then book at last moment but unless you either have passes that cover any given resort, waiting to the last minute could be costly. I know up here you would pay dearly for ski passes with less than a weeks notice,

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
What about Snowmass? I think they have ski in and ski out and Aspen is near.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
you will know who has the goods at least a couple days prior to arrival so you could just wait and then book at last moment but unless you either have passes that cover any given resort, waiting to the last minute could be costly. I know up here you would pay dearly for ski passes with less than a weeks notice,

Don't areas usually have some pretty great deals before Christmas, though? <scurries off to look them up....>

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yes, but why wait until you are here to try to find them? why not just book a few days prior? even a week?

many require early bookings or minimum lead time; either way, waiting is a best bet.

Last edited:

dlague

Waitin' for Wintah
Skier
If you are dead set on Colorado, then Vail, Breck and Keystone are good bets. However, no matter where you go you will be dependent on snow making hence the three I mentioned. Snowfall amounts may not be enough to open significant terrain. That time of year is borderline whether conditions are great or just good - ie 2014 was a little lean. See the chart below for the last three years at Breck. I looked into Whistler and other Vail Resorts and the snowfall story is about the same. However, Steamboat did have better snowfall. Also agree to booking a week prior, but deals might be had now.

Courtesy of www.onthesnow.com - good tools for looking at historical snowfall.

upload_2017-8-9_9-44-49.png

Sponsor

Staff online