• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
Good timing on that post! SSH and I are training in New Zealand now with the Rookies. I'll be posting my annual list of takeaways in a few weeks.

We just finished week one with Tim Cafe. Tim is Alice Robinson's coach. Alice is the 16-year-old Kiwi who won the world junior championship last year in GS, then was invited to ski the last World Cup GS, where she finished second to some skier named Shiffrin. Tim's pretty good at this coaching thing!

We'll be with Tom Gellie next week, then Seb Michel after that. Not too shabby (!)

To be continued!
Mike

TS
Mike King

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Good timing on that post! SSH and I are training in New Zealand now with the Rookies. I'll be posting my annual list of takeaways in a few weeks.

We just finished week one with Tim Cafe. Tim is Alice Robinson's coach. Alice is the 16-year-old Kiwi who won the world junior championship last year in GS, then was invited to ski the last World Cup GS, where she finished second to some skier named Shiffrin. Tim's pretty good at this coaching thing!

We'll be with Tom Gellie next week, then Seb Michel after that. Not too shabby (!)

To be continued!
Mike
Lucky you. I've been coached on a couple of runs in a GS course by Tim. He's very good.

Mike

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Sebastian is one of the best out there no doubt.
Although all of his skiing is amazing, watch what he does beginning at 1:20in.
You can learn a lot about skiing in that short little sequence. BTW is there term for that slide slip transition to carve?

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
I've done that "stivot" before as an exercise. I think it was to get your ankles unlocked and get you off your edges.

Some of that stuff is off the CSIA you tube video's.

I too often do it as an exercise. The rapid redirection followed by smooth transition into the carving state really spans the range of skiing skills especially dynamically centered balance.

James

Out There
Instructor
Great skiing!
They get the Arizona Diamondbacks Award though for uniforms. The grey away ones. It has been perked up a little recently.

IMG_6640.JPG

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
When I grow up I want to ski like that!

All amazing stuff really liked the stivits and white pass turns.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Ah yes, Bit of a senior moment there.... then again you don't often see it performed outside the race course. Thanks!

We did them all over Vail during a PSIA-C clinic there. I'll throw in a couple occasionally while free skiing just because....

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm going to have to try that stivot (also seen demonstrated by Guy Heatherington [spelling?]) in another thread).
It never occured to me that it could be done at recreational (non-racing) levels.
When I do drifted turns, I drift all the way around. I've never tried to turn it off in the middle.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That drift then carve move is really good for sheet of ice with pimple like snowy bumps.
Drift through the ice until the skis are on snow, the carve through the bump.

Franz at W/B is a good place for that.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The drift to carve move is indeed a great exercise but it’s not a stivot. A stivot is a rapid redirection of the skis at the top of a turn. It’s used to cut off line and is much faster than the drift (which is also used situationally by racers, notably Ligety favours it).

James

Out There
Instructor
It’s a fun move to do when going over a knoll where you can’t see. Go into drift, then if it’s ok, back into the turn. I skied in a clinic once where we did it as a warmup move in the middle of the turns. Carve, drift/pivot, carve.

Is there really that specific definition of a stivot? Not all of these are slide then hammer the new direction. Some pivot the skis back out.

Stivots from 1:10

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I've done that "stivot" before as an exercise. I think it was to get your ankles unlocked and get you off your edges.

Some of that stuff is off the CSIA you tube video's.
it's also great for sorting out alignment/force direction. Love playing with them.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January