• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Seasucker Ski rack?

winter4w

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hello everyone,

I just found this ski forum and am excited to be a member of it. This year I am trying to get a lot of skiing in, and one issue I have is transporting my skis to the mountain. The drive to the mountain is somewhere between 3-4 hours. With my car, it does not have any roof racks available and the back seats do not fold down. When I put my car information on one of the roof rack sites they suggested this suction cup roof rack (https://www.seasucker.com/collections/car-racks/products/monkey-bars). I am wondering if any of you have heard of it and used it?

The other option is to get a hitch rack for my car which is available but I would want to keep my skis protected from the elements on the drive up. With a roof rack, I can use a cargo box to protect them.

And the last option would be to store them in my car. Any suggestions for keeping them secure in the rear part of the cabin? One idea I have is to put the skis in a ski bag and put the bag on an angle and wrap one of the seat belts around it.

Options:
Suction Cup Roof Rack
Hitch ski rack
Store in the rear of the cabin

Thanks

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thirty years ago, or so, suction cup roof racks were pretty common. I never had one personally, though, so don't know how well they really work.
If it was me, I'd put them in the back diagonally. The seat belt is probably a good trade of added safety vs added hassle (It wouldn't be easy to do with my car, so I don't.)

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd put them in the vehicle if possible. I would not trust that rack to stay attached, especially with a box on top. I actually modified the non folding back seat in my old Impreza without having to cut or damage anything. What kind of car is it?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would not trust that rack to stay attached, especially with a box on top.
Yeah, I just looked at the product link and I'm dubious, too. If the suction failed on one foot there would be a chain-reaction and tear them all off. The 30-years-ago suction racks I mentioned also had a hold-down strap that hooked on the top of the doors.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
There are Yakima and Thule products that work with cars without racks on them. They close in through the windows and work very well. I would look at one of those options. I am not sure what you are driving but I would be very surprised if there wasn't an option that would work for your car.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I would use the bag and seat belt option. Does your car have anchors for child seats? Maybe some sort of strap could be arranged?

TS
winter4w

winter4w

Skier
I'd put them in the vehicle if possible. I would not trust that rack to stay attached, especially with a box on top. I actually modified the non folding back seat in my old Impreza without having to cut or damage anything. What kind of car is it?

It is a 1996 Lexus LS400

There are Yakima and Thule products that work with cars without racks on them. They close in through the windows and work very well. I would look at one of those options. I am not sure what you are driving but I would be very surprised if there wasn't an option that would work for your car.

Yea I tried looking for some that would fit my car and was unsuccessful.

I would use the bag and seat belt option. Does your car have anchors for child seats? Maybe some sort of strap could be arranged?

Ya I was thinking of strapping it somehow depending on how the seatbelt holds it in place.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I looked into Seesucker for rental cars but they told me the ski racks do have a speed limit so no. Thule & Yakima make locking roof racks for every car made. Boxes are just so big to keep on the car all winter. I use a roof rack to carry at least 2 pair of skis with bags to protect them. I choose 1 to use and leave the other locked on the roof and have never had an issue.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Thule & Yakima make locking roof racks for every car made.
Surprisingly, no they don't.

Capture2.PNG

Same for rackattack.com searching more generally.

I'd go with inside.
If you have to go outside, you might need to fall back on a low-tech answer like this:
TIROL universal carrier
715%2Bul4KWZL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

TS
winter4w

winter4w

Skier
I looked into Seesucker for rental cars but they told me the ski racks do have a speed limit so no. Thule & Yakima make locking roof racks for every car made. Boxes are just so big to keep on the car all winter. I use a roof rack to carry at least 2 pair of skis with bags to protect them. I choose 1 to use and leave the other locked on the roof and have never had an issue.

What kind of bags do you put the skis in? The only ski rack that would fit my car wound be the hitch rack from Thule (https://www.thule.com/en-us/sport-rack/ski-racks/thule-tram-_-1678763). I am just concerned about them getting damaged while on the hitch rack.

TS
winter4w

winter4w

Skier

Surprisingly, no they don't.

View attachment 86492

Same for rackattack.com searching more generally.

I'd go with inside.
If you have to go outside, you might need to fall back on a low-tech answer like this:
TIROL universal carrier
715%2Bul4KWZL._AC_SL1001_.jpg
Yea I am not sure if I could trust a rack like that lol. Let alone it looks like something that may scratch up the paint on the roof. I may just get a dog mat for the back of the car and put the skis in ski bags and store them there. Everything else can easily fit in my trunk.

David

Skier
What kind of bags do you put the skis in? The only ski rack that would fit my car wound be the hitch rack from Thule (https://www.thule.com/en-us/sport-rack/ski-racks/thule-tram-_-1678763). I am just concerned about them getting damaged while on the hitch rack.
I use Dakine Single Sleeve. I have 3 pair of skis and 1 bag foe each. Super durable and water resistant. I've used 1 of them for 5 years traveling 2.5 hours each way and 24 hours to get to Rockies with no issues. Every spring I take them outside and hose/wash off all the grime & salt. Let dry and store my skis inside all summer. My oldest one still looks like new! And there are no straps at shovel & tail to mess with. Just the zipper. I found my last one about a month ago online for about $35. No idea why this suddenly is typing in bold...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Leaving your skis out in plain sight on top of your car is just inviting them to be stolen,.. sometimes rack and all. At least they won't do much damage to your car if the rack was just held on by suction cups. Makes that way easier for the thieves.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If they fit inside the car then carry them inside the car. Easier and cleaner.

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
It is a 1996 Lexus LS400

Yea I tried looking for some that would fit my car and was unsuccessful.

Ya I was thinking of strapping it somehow depending on how the seatbelt holds it in place.

It might be hard finding something that will fit a 23 year old car.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
I may have had a different version of this rack way back when in the 80's. I "heard" that they will stayed on the car up to 115 mph. At that point they have a habit of releasing from the roof. I've heard the driver was surprised because he forgot they were still on the car... ;)

David

Skier
Leaving your skis out in plain sight on top of your car is just inviting them to be stolen,.. sometimes rack and all. At least they won't do much damage to your car if the rack was just held on by suction cups. Makes that way easier for the thieves.
Mine are locked to the rack that's locked to the car.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought this said "seersucker" rack and I was truly intrigued. Alas....

JHust

Putting on skis
Skier
I had one of these racks 15 years ago. It worked fine for the few months I used it. It hooks on your car's window

Screenshot_20191206-181114_Chrome.jpg

Sponsor