• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SE Texas guy in NKY

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
Hi, I'm Phil. Couldn't come up with anything clever like Philpitbull or Phildobermanpinscher or anything like that . Just Phil, for now anyway.

Originally from SE Texas near Houston and Galveston, I've lived near Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky for several years now. Married with two sons and one stepson.

I never thought I'd be skiing until I got remarried about three years ago. My new father-in-law is on the ski patrol at our local ski hill in Indiana about 30 minutes from my house, so he was excited to get my boys and me started. He's been taking my stepson skiing since he was 3 (now 12).

So now at 47, I'm no longer cursing the winter cold but embracing it and was a little depressed about our unusually warm winter last year. Glad I found this site and a couple others that have a wealth of information for me to learn about my new obsession. Hoping in the coming years I can venture out to some bigger hills and maybe run into some of y'all.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
giphy.gif

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Welcome. I just rode a lift at Big Sky last week with someone who skis at Perfect North.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
Hi, I'm Phil. Couldn't come up with anything clever like Philpitbull or Phildobermanpinscher or anything like that . Just Phil, for now anyway.

Originally from SE Texas near Houston and Galveston, I've lived near Cincinnati in Northern Kentucky for several years now. Married with two sons and one stepson.

I never thought I'd be skiing until I got remarried about three years ago. My new father-in-law is on the ski patrol at our local ski hill in Indiana about 30 minutes from my house, so he was excited to get my boys and me started. He's been taking my stepson skiing since he was 3 (now 12).

So now at 47, I'm no longer cursing the winter cold but embracing it and was a little depressed about our unusually warm winter last year. Glad I found this site and a couple others that have a wealth of information for me to learn about my new obsession. Hoping in the coming years I can venture out to some bigger hills and maybe run into some of y'all.

@crgildart @Phil
I ski there very often. Typically 4 days per week normally at night. This year is very good for snow they made a lot of it and it’s really nice. What days do you normally ski?

If your trying to improve look into doing the Monday night adult race program. It’s really not racing per say they have some time running gates but it’s mostly intermediate skiers trying to improve. There’s a group of 6-8 guys that have taken it every year for a few years. 8 lessons 2 hours each every Monday with a very high quality instructor for $200 is a steal. That starts Monday if your interested in it. This is my 3rd season doing it. Well worth money.

Ohioskier

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Phil here is he information on he race program I told you about. The same instructor has taught this class for years. I believe he is a level 3 right now and was a ussa coach until the area gave up ussa also includes nastar races that are every Sunday and Thursday.

Don’t let price fool you. You will learn more in one season than what you would imagine. EF5797E6-7508-429C-8C9E-8528512A036F.png

TS
P

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
@Phil here is he information on he race program I told you about. The same instructor has taught this class for years. I believe he is a level 3 right now and was a ussa coach until the area gave up ussa also includes nastar races that are every Sunday and Thursday.

Don’t let price fool you. You will learn more in one season than what you would imagine. View attachment 36495

Thanks for the info Ohioskier. I've been out twice so far. Hoping to go at least twice a week the rest of the season. Was out new year's day and the snow coverage was great like you said. My first two years I was out mostly Monday and Thursday nights. Planning to go out with my boys on Sunday. Probably get there around noon. My work schedule is Tuesday through Saturday, so I can go some Mondays when my boys are in school. Very busy time at work though, so I'm working this Monday, but I may get out there in the evening.

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm from Maine. It's my second season here. I'm retired, so I usually ski on weekdays, but I might make it out Sunday morning. I looked at the race program, but I don't have any skis I would want to run gates with. My go to skis are 107 at the waist. Maybe I'll meet up with some of you guys at some point. I'm also driving out to Utah for the Pugski gathering in March. Hopefully they will get more snow.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
and me! ogsmile Welcome! Like you, Uncle Louie and I are transplants to KY.
And you!!! I didn't forget you, but I wasn't sure how much you're posting. Seeing you around here more frequently pleases me.

Sponsor