• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Scott Team Issue poles

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Rumor has it Scott is no longer producing aluminum ski poles for next year, so my beloved Team Issue freeride poles are no more. I wonder if anyone knows where to get a spare pair of 130(52) length Team Issue poles at a good price? I don't care about the color, as long as it is not pink or purple. Team Issues are pretty much indestructible, but I still manage to break a pole every two years, usually by getting them into the path of oncoming chair :eek:. Thanks in advance!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have some feelers out. I recall being told that Scott would no longer offer race poles but would still have the Team Issue poles in alternate graphics. As soon as I hear back, I will let you know.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just curious as I am an owner of some vintage Scott Al poles(world cup racing model), but, what make a Team Issue pole distinct?
The grade of aluminum, I am sure Alex, knows exactly what they are and can tell you all about the different grades, he is brilliant that way :hail:. The Team Issue and Race poles are the same, just cosmetic differences.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From Scott:
While we don’t have the “World Cup” pole (classic green race pole) in line anymore, we absolutely still have many offerings in our tried and true aluminum shafts. Several models use the same bomber series 4 shaft that was featured in the original World Cup, including the Team Issue.

So @Alexzn, you are still in luck and don't need to start hoarding poles. :thumb:

TS
Alexzn

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Yay!!! So the Team Issue will continue? Sweet!

As for the differences: the Team issue has the series 4 shaft (yes, bomber grade of Alu), and the basket that is sized between a powder and race basket, so it works in all kinds of snow. Also the tip is pretty long, so the basket does not get in the way of a pole plant on steep terrain. Simply put it is a perfect freeride pole.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
FWIW, I switched from Al poles to graphite because I developed wrist pain mostly attributable to the hard eastern snow at my home mountain. I keep my Scott's for soft snow conditions as the baskets are wider and do not sink as deep.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My 30+ year old Scott aluminum poles are the only ones I have ever owned. Still holding up. I used to know the alloy, believe it is a 7000 series whereas most are a 6000 series. I also knew what that meant at one time.

Downtown

Putting on skis
Skier
Used the Scott Teams for 25 yrs, before swapping them out last year.

You can barely see them in this photo from 1991.

By the way, skis are the K2 KVC's baby...204's - and that was a big Pow day.

#whatfatties?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 22

James

Out There
Instructor
Let me guess, Scott is coming out with a graphene wcup pole?

Their wcup pole was nice. I have a pair. Seg has a pair Jonatahan has a pair, Josh has a pair. There somewhat heavy, but it's good to have an aluminum pole to knock snow off kids boots.

The best thing is the straps though. Easy to adjust. I'd like to get a pair to put on my swix poles whose straps always slip.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Let me guess, Scott is coming out with a graphene wcup pole?

Their wcup pole was nice. I have a pair. Seg has a pair Jonatahan has a pair, Josh has a pair. There somewhat heavy, but it's good to have an aluminum pole to knock snow off kids boots.

The best thing is the straps though. Easy to adjust. I'd like to get a pair to put on my swix poles whose straps always slip.

what are these 'straps' you mention? none of my scott pole have any such nonsense...

James

Out There
Instructor
what are these 'straps' you mention? none of my scott pole have any such nonsense...

Your poles were used on the glacier that covered New England.

The advantage of your funny grips is you can hang the poles on the safety bar. (now called the footrest bar) Then in the bubble chair you can pull out from your jacket the side of smoked salmon and eat lunch.

Here's Bill skiing in santa costume on the bubble chair eating lunch. (before the bubble was updated to orange):

tradingplaces.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I like and appreciate the Scott WC poles for their bomberness. I also appreciate the light feel of a quality Goode 10.4 carbon fiber pole too, they are light with a very low swing weight and I like the absorption they give you especially when skiing firm conditions.

James

Out There
Instructor
@James , I prefer Wooly Mammoth ribs, passed over the pit fire, still dripping blood rare, and plenty of them :D

Yes I know. I preferred them medium. With much salt and greens from sea.
The year after you got your poles we skied the ice sheet together. I'd just gotten my new plug boots. Some new things from a strange guy with odd ideas named Lhangu. (Much later he changed his name to Lange so it wouldn't sound like he'd just crawled out of a cave)
Then we had dinner with Urg and Fark in that nice large cave with the torches and the Woolly Mammoth heads on the walls. I haven't seen Urg since the ice sheet receeded but I heard he's gone now. I'm still using those boots after many liner and sole plate changes.
Really miss those Mammoth ribs!

Sponsor