• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For whatever weird reason I seem to have been bitten by the bke bug. The last bike I had was an early 1990s Specialized Rock Hopper.

I am now reaching out to the Pugsters for tips on what to look for in a bike, what is needless bling, what you like about your ride(s) and what you don't like.

I'll be looking to trail ride around the Reno area so mostly dry, rocky, up and down and all around trails. I want to get a bike that I won't be wanting to replace after a few months.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
IMO a new bike should have.

5-6 icnhes of travel

a dropper post

and good geometery. in fact I d say the advent of droppers and geometery are the biggest difference between your old rock hopper and new bikes.

as for wheel size IMO 27.5 + capable is the way to go.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
And this tells how far behind I am. A dropper is a...?

A dropper, otherwise known as a dropper post, drops your seat down allowing you to get your center of gravity further back, especially on descents. I also use it when trying to get started on uphills because it gives me a shorter distance to get up and get a pedal stroke in but I'm not good at uphill starts.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got distracted and didn't see @luliski post until after I posted but I would argue that for those of us that aren't super skilled getting down and back doesn't just hold for steep or technical descents.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I use my dropper for everything but seated pedaling. I dont think of it as furhter back I think of it as lower.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
tell us more about your preferences: do you prefer FS or HT, do you prefer steel, TI or Carbon, more comfy or aggressive style, goals for your riding, etc.. I’ve got 6 bikes (plus my demo bikes) that I keep in the garage for different uses.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
tell us more about your preferences: do you prefer FS or HT, do you prefer steel, TI or Carbon, more comfy or aggressive style, goals for your riding, etc.. I’ve got 6 bikes (plus my demo bikes) that I keep in the garage for different uses.
This is part of the great unknown. I do want a full suspension bike due to the type of mixed terrain available in my area. We have everything from paved bike paths (not what I'm looking for) to seriously technical stuff (also not my thing...yet). My goal for riding is to get in better shape and have fun. Can I have pretty comfy and fairly aggressive?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is part of the great unknown. I do want a full suspension bike due to the type of mixed terrain available in my area. We have everything from paved bike paths (not what I'm looking for) to seriously technical stuff (also not my thing...yet). My goal for riding is to get in better shape and have fun. Can I have pretty comfy and fairly aggressive?

Demo a bunch of bikes to get a feel for what you do and don't like. I happened to get on the bike I love first but did ride some after and have rented when traveling which just confirms that I like my bike. I find it easier to be comfortable on a mountain bike just because of the different geometry than a road bike but the feel can be very different.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

Have you demo’d anything yet?

I prefer 27.5+ (3”) on most terrain. I use a 29+ sometimes, but I like the spin up and momentum of the 27.5+ better. It’s a balancing act, you will find some folks are 29+ only and some of prefer 27.5+.

I use a dropper post on all my bikes except my gravel bike. I highly suggest getting one, get a good one that’s smooth, not the cheaper slow, notchy ones. When you need it, you want it to operate as needed.

Fir regular trail riding (no free riding) I don’t see a need to go over 120mm of travel. Once you get past that point the headtube angles get a tad slacker (in most cases).

Go single chainring. A 1x11 or 1x12 covers almost all your needs. A XT level setup is worth the extra $$ for better shift quality. I’ve got 1 SRAM setup theatre is more finicky than I prefer. I also have a Box setup that I just don’t like.

Shimano or Magura brakes. I’ve warrentied to many SRAM brakes and I don’t find them worth the effort for bleeding and eventual warranty issues.

There are a ton of great bikes out there, I’m slightly bias’d since I consult for a manufacturer. But I’ll be happy to provide guidance along the way.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Yes to the dropper (I can't emphasize this enough)
Yes to a 1X drive train (simplicity at its best)
27.5 or 29 is personal preference. I started on a 29er, and the guys at the shop dissuaded me from going to a 27.5 after two seasons on a 29er because they said I'd HATE it now that I'm used to a 29er. A 29er just rolls that much faster and more efficiently, or so they say. I'm happy with it so I'm not changing anytime soon.
Another nod for Shimano brakes.
My travel is 130mm and it's great for the cross country AND technical bits I get into, without being overkill in one direction or another.

If you REALLY want to get crazy, carbon, carbon wheels, etc. (The wheels can always be upgraded later.)

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Price range or budget would be useful as well..
My range or @AKMINK's range?:P
I would like to get in at 3K or under, preferably under though I don't want to mess with a bunch of upgrades.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have two Litespeed Pinhoti XT. It is a very lively and nimble hardtail. Given its neutral geometry, it is more of a cross-country course bike and extremely comfortable for long rides. Unless you are looking to bomb down Porcupine Rim at 50mph, this is a great option. Highly recommended.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What brands do your local shops carry?
Trek, Specialized, Cannondale
I've only been to a few shops so far. I've mostly been plodding through the internet. So. Many. Brands.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid