• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Most of the bike forums also do not have a dedicated ski section either. Plus...we do have knowledgable members like you, @martyg and many others who are pretty knowledgeable and willing to share. But you have a valid point and worth getting some other views...but as a complete newbie like @Andy Mink is, it can be pretty overwhelming at first.

QFT. Generally very reasonable, mature folks on this forum, as opposed to many bike forums -- see Scott's comment below!

Bike forums can also charitably be called a blood sport at times...

Going into the 60 year old category next year....

I beat you by a year. Winner!

I was SO looking forward to Masters Marathon Nationals this year, based on strong rumors of being held close to home, in Bend, Oregon. But......not going to drive 1,900 miles to Texas for an amateur bike race on a course that doesn't really suit me (I like my climbs and descents long, like my back yard stuff).

So now I really am a retired bike racer.

And, surprisingly, it feels nice!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
QFT. Generally very reasonable, mature folks on this forum, as opposed to many bike forums -- see Scott's comment below!

I beat you by a year. Winner!

I was SO looking forward to Masters Marathon Nationals this year, based on strong rumors of being held close to home, in Bend, Oregon. But......not going to drive 1,900 miles to Texas for an amateur bike race on a course that doesn't really suit me (I like my climbs and descents long, like my back yard stuff).

So now I really am a retired bike racer.

And, surprisingly, it feels nice!

When I was in my 20's, a Cat II, and struggling to make ends meet I wondered what It would be like to have unlimited time and resources to pursue racing. I retired at 52, and am in that place financially.

Even with recreational social rides in Durango at 20mph+, you have to be fit to hang.

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
My range or @AKMINK's range?:P
I would like to get in at 3K or under, preferably under though I don't want to mess with a bunch of upgrades.

Buying a used MTB can be challenging, but sometimes you can find a 1-2 year old bike in pretty good conditions a great price. Last year I got a 2017 Stumpjumper at a screaming deal in mint conditions. Something like this could work, assuming is your size and in good condition. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/d/orangevale-2018-trek-remedy-98-medium/6858758923.html

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Buying a used MTB can be challenging, but sometimes you can find a 1-2 year old bike in pretty good conditions a great price. Last year I got a 2017 Stumpjumper at a screaming deal in mint conditions. Something like this could work, assuming is your size and in good condition. https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/d/orangevale-2018-trek-remedy-98-medium/6858758923.html
It turns out my (wife's) budget is significantly less than anticipated. Like zero. There will have to be some negotiations. It could be harder than peace in the Middle East but I'm committed!

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
It turns out my (wife's) budget is significantly less than anticipated. Like zero. There will have to be some negotiations. It could be harder than peace in the Middle East but I'm committed!

Once you get on some demo bikes she will see how happy you, maybe she will revise the budget.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Once you get on some demo bikes she will see how happy you, maybe she will revise the budget.
One can hope. I'm working on a plan. It starts with cleaning the garage.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
One can hope. I'm working on a plan. It starts with cleaning the garage.

Perfect approach.

1. Spend a month collecting maximum "husband points" in all possible ways.

2. Re-open subject, preferably on a high note. Example "Honey, I can't believe you tilled all the gardens in one day!"

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Perfect approach.

1. Spend a month collecting maximum "husband points" in all possible ways.

2. Re-open subject, preferably on a high note. Example "Honey, I can't believe you tilled all the gardens in one day!"
I think I should have started pulling $20 "spending money" out each week for the last 3 years.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I should have started pulling $20 "spending money" out each week for the last 3 years.

I once saw a guy paying for a Davidson custom ti road bike with twenty dollar bills.

He looked at me, grinned, and said "my wife thinks the down payment I made three months ago was the total cost of the bike".

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I once saw a guy paying for a Davidson custom ti road bike with twenty dollar bills.

He looked at me, grinned, and said "my wife thinks the down payment I made three months ago was the total cost of the bike".

Last year my wife and I were walking down the street when we saw one of the new Corvette Z1Rs. I said, "For the money, that is an incredible value." She said "NO!" I said, "How about a new bike?" She said "OK".

Start tracking Porches. Bikes will be an incredible value by comparison.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Still lots of great bikes around $1000-$1500...

If I may say, if you're on a budget, ferget the full suspension rigs. Go for a reasonably priced hard tail. You can still get a 1x drivetrain and a 120-130mm fork for $1500 with an aluminum frame and dropper post. Your legs can do the rear suspension. In the event you like it and start riding more often, and you find a money tree apparently, you can upgrade to a nicer full suspension frame later. Just get out and ride! On easier trails that are smooth, the full suspension is not that big a factor anyway.

Last edited:

Banzaibikes

Putting on skis
Skier
I have several bikes ranging from SS to 6in Enduro. The one I grab most for fun is a 27.5 Plus bike. It’s also one of my cheapest. Not for racing...just having fun. Do anything OK bike.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Still lots of great bikes around $1000-$1500...

If I may say, if you're on a budget, ferget the full suspension rigs. Go for a reasonably priced hard tail. You can still get a 1x drivetrain and a 120-130mm fork for $1500 with an aluminum frame and dropper post. Your legs can do the rear suspension. In the event you like it and start riding more often, and you find a money tree apparently, you can upgrade to a nicer full suspension frame later. Just get out and ride! On easier trails that are smooth, the full suspension is not that big a factor anyway.

I endorse these comments!

See post #58

Lots of fun riding on a shoe string...

There is no need for you to live out the bicycle fantasies of others.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I have several bikes ranging from SS to 6in Enduro. The one I grab most for fun is a 27.5 Plus bike. It’s also one of my cheapest. Not for racing...just having fun. Do anything OK bike.
That's what I'd be buying..I can't justify $3k+ for a bicycle. And my rides usually involve some dirt road, some smoothish hard pack and some nasty junk. 2/3 of the ride could be on a rigid fork..

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Keep in mind.... This is what mtn bikes used to look like. In this case, mtn bikes that have won major championships, and have navigated all of Durango's trails.

That banner is the actual 1990 World's banner. It disappeared the night after the event, only to show up in France some decades later where it was presented to Ned.

Ben-Gavelda-MBS-TROVE-Bike-Mag-3.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
its time to get a new wife.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
its time to get a new wife.
I get to ski when I want. I think that's a good reason to hang on to her! That and I'm retired and she doesn't make me go back to work!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I mean its pointless to have any money when you die. Just spend it, or give it to your kids if you have any....not that death is anytime soon but when you die with 5,6 or 7 figures in your bank account, its kinda of like who cares.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean its pointless to have any money when you die. Just spend it, or give it to your kids if you have any....not that death is anytime soon but when you die with 5,6 or 7 figures in your bank account, its kinda of like who cares.
I have a lot of living to do first! There won't be much left.

Sponsor