• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
For knowledge? I like-

https://www.pinkbike.com/
https://www.vitalmtb.com/
https://enduro-mtb.com/en/
https://singletrackworld.com/
https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/
https://www.bikemag.com/ The Bike 'Bible' bike reviews are the best in the biz, in my opinion.
Most of what I linked are not free-form forums where everyone has an equal voice. There is a reason for that.

MTBR Forums is a joke- avoid.

Any of those forums would be a great option - many of them have been around for years and have very knowledgeable and helpful folks. I second the Bible of Bike Tests. They do a great job with their reviews - likely the best mtn bike reviews around.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What you need to know about mtb-

Let's just say: I wouldn't ask for ski advice on a bike forum... well, unless I was looking for a good chuckle.
Most of the bike forums also do not have a dedicated ski section either. Plus...we do have knowledgable members like you, @martyg and many others who are pretty knowledgeable and willing to share. But you have a valid point and worth getting some other views...but as a complete newbie like @Andy Mink is, it can be pretty overwhelming at first.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Most of the bike forums also do not have a dedicated ski section either. Plus...we do have knowledgable members like you, @martyg and many others who are pretty knowledgeable and willing to share. But you have a valid point and worth getting some other views...but as a complete newbie like @Andy Mink is, it can be pretty overwhelming at first.

Thanks Phil.

Andy - Keep in mind.... like any forum group it is rare that you will be conversing with someone who knows their way around a CAD program, has a background in industrial design / engineering / composite engineering, who actually spends / spent a portion of the year in factories overseeing production, QA, etc. for said product category.

You will get opinions. Good data is far harder to come by, and everyone seeks their own riding experience. I am all about riding / racing XC for example. My ideal day is totally different from the person doing lift serve Enduro and / or DH.

Enjoy.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Phil.

Andy - Keep in mind.... like any forum group it is rare that you will be conversing with someone who knows their way around a CAD program, has a background in industrial design / engineering / composite engineering, who actually spends / spent a portion of the year in factories overseeing production, QA, etc. for said product category.

You will get opinions. Good data is far harder to come by, and everyone seeks their own riding experience. I am all about riding / racing XC for example. My ideal day is totally different from the person doing lift serve Enduro and / or DH.

Enjoy.
Truth. I think asking amongst a group of people that he trusts is not a bad thing. He might not get overwhelmed with opinions like he would on a bike forum.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On the ski ski, we commonly say, "There are few bad skis but many wrong skis". This can be said also about bikes but I think it has more more do with geometry than brands or even models. There are niances and there will be quite a few give and takes with models.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

Enjoy.

Very true. We all approach if different. I’m looking at it from the perspective of a guy who does consulting on bike design, overseas bike manufacturing and owns a small shop. I’m past the days of short travel XC bikes. I like a little cush and more relaxed handling. My race days are since past.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One could say that getting an "all-mountain" bike that will handle a wide variety of conditions and still climb well is equivalent to an all-mountain one-ski quiver, I think. The big difference is in skiing, you are at the mercy of mother nature whereas on a bike, you choose the type of trail you ride, with the only real changing variables being maybe slick roots/mud or moondust vs. a nice smooth, hard packed dirt surface. ?? (Assuming you are riding on the same trails repeatedly.)

So MY advice is to get a full-suspension, medium-travel bike with good components (truthfully, anything around $3000 is going to have decent components, maybe not top of the line, but definitely very decent) then go ride the darned thing and have fun! I was in Andy's position 5 years ago. I got a nice $2500 Trek Lush S and had a blast on it. I upgraded to carbon three years ago, and by that time, most definitely could discern the differences between the two bikes.

Fast forward, now I can tell I prefer Shimano to SRAM brakes, the new suspension (Thru Shaft) on Trek's upper level bikes is better than anything I've been on, and carbon wheels are the shiz. I like having spacers on my stem until I climb, then I tend to lose front wheel traction. I am finally embracing wider than 130mm bars, and find cornering easier with them. Yada yada yada. All things that Andy will be saying :huh: to right now, but after a year or two of frequent riding, he'll start to think about.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Very true. We all approach if different. I’m looking at it from the perspective of a guy who does consulting on bike design, overseas bike manufacturing and owns a small shop. I’m past the days of short travel XC bikes. I like a little cush and more relaxed handling. My race days are since past.

Going into the 60 year old category next year....

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I try to avoid recommending specific bikes or styles..you never know what people will be riding. I suspect Andy will be buying a different bike in 2 years time..not selling his bike completely. Talk to a shop who is familiar with what type of trails you're riding and what your skill level is and buy accordingly. Be sensible on your budget.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Call off the dogs...we found @Andy Mink his bike....a 29'er Schwinn all for a low low price of $249.00. Getting a full suspension Schwinn brings Andy back to his first full suspension bike, a Schwinn Apple Krate.
UZG9cjO8R2yNhvJOEnPdAw.jpg

He jsut has to add a dropper post...there was none at Sam's Club, we checked every aisle. But note, it does come with a kick stand where all the other suggestions here did not have that option, so he has that going for him.

/end thread...or does this just start it all over again? ;)

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
He jsut has to add a dropper post...there was none at Sam's Club, we checked every aisle. But note, it does come with a kick stand where all the other suggestions here did not have that option, so he has that going for him.
I was going to recommend the kick stand but figured I'd better read the whole thread first to make sure I was not repeating someone else's suggestion & whoop, there it is!

Seriously though...
Full suspension, at least 130mm but if you plan to really enjoy the DH as much as the up I would go more than that.

Dropper post is a must.

Tubeless is great but not necessary starting out, just think about having "tubeless ready" rims.

Think about pedals, often not included in. I really like the security & efficiency of clipless (pedals you clip into) pedals. They scare some people but the learning curve is really quick. I am scared of flats.

27.5 or 29er? You gotta get on each & see which you are more comfortable on. There are pluses & minuses to each. I was never comfortable on the 29er when they came out & jumped on 27.5 as soon as they were available & loved it. I recently moved to a 29er as improvements in geometry have made it feel more to my liking. So far, it doesn't feel quite as agile in tight stuff but that is outweighed by the fact that I feel like I am on an e-bike a lot of the time. Kinda like the difference between a SL & GS ski.

Whatever bike you get make sure it fits YOU! A qualified mechanic/coach/sales person can help with this.

Factor in accessories. Hydration, spare tube, tools, bike specific clothing, helmet & shoes etc. Pump, chain lube, a brush & whatever else to keep your drive-train clean. Maybe a bike stand.

Begin with short, smooth, fun rides & build on success.

Enjoy the ride, that bike can get you to some pretty amazing places :)
Rim to Flume South G&S 039.jpg

\

Attachments

• JF Toads.JPG
    JF Toads.JPG
    437.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Such as there are some really good $599 flat skis and $799 system skis, there are some really good $2500-ish bikes and you don't have to spend $5,000 to get a bike that you will get 3-4 years out of and will want to upgrade in a few years anyway if he gets serious into the sport..and knowing @Andy Mink he will never need what a $5K bike will bring.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Call off the dogs...we found @Andy Mink his bike....a 29'er Schwinn all for a low low price of $249.00. Getting a full suspension Schwinn brings Andy back to his first full suspension bike, a Schwinn Apple Krate.
View attachment 70982

/end thread...or does this just start it all over again? ;)
It is also required that all reflectors and warning stickers remain on the bike, too. Pick up a basket for both the front AND back, because two baskets carry more beer than one!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Such as there are some really good $599 flat skis and $799 system skis, there are some really good $2500-ish bikes and you don't have to spend $5,000 to get a bike that you will get 3-4 years out of and will want to upgrade in a few years anyway if he gets serious into the sport..and knowing @Andy Mink he will never need what a $5K bike will bring.

On This....

I ride a GT Richter 8. Steel frame, solid rear with Noleen girder forks.
It gives me everything I want in a bike ride here in the Vermont back roads and woods trails.
I wear carhart short pants, a tee shirt, leather work gloves, helmet and eye wear (sunglasses) when I ride.
I do use clipless Speedplay Frog pedals , so there is some "bike specific" attire in my choices.

I find fitting the correct tires for the riding terrain is one of the most important aspects of riding enjoyment.

So I'm a curmudgeon, I'm having fun, enjoying life, and I'm not always behind the high bucks rides.

If I had any leg strength left, I would ride a fixy.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online