• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Still lots of great bikes around $1000-$1500...

If I may say, if you're on a budget, ferget the full suspension rigs. Go for a reasonably priced hard tail. You can still get a 1x drivetrain and a 120-130mm fork for $1500 with an aluminum frame and dropper post. Your legs can do the rear suspension. In the event you like it and start riding more often, and you find a money tree apparently, you can upgrade to a nicer full suspension frame later. Just get out and ride! On easier trails that are smooth, the full suspension is not that big a factor anyway.

Maybe I'm just hearing what I want to but this seems like the best advice so far.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean its pointless to have any money when you die. Just spend it, or give it to your kids if you have any....not that death is anytime soon but when you die with 5,6 or 7 figures in your bank account, its kinda of like who cares.
Yeah but you never know how long you're going to live..cat food tastes like crap... :roflmao:

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I mean its pointless to have any money when you die. Just spend it, or give it to your kids if you have any....not that death is anytime soon but when you die with 5,6 or 7 figures in your bank account, its kinda of like who cares.

I used to work with a girl from North Carolina, her saying was "You don't see suitcases on a hearse!". It was particularly funny with her accent.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Keep in mind.... This is what mtn bikes used to look like. In this case, mtn bikes that have won major championships, and have navigated all of Durango's trails.

That banner is the actual 1990 World's banner. It disappeared the night after the event, only to show up in France some decades later where it was presented to Ned.

Ben-Gavelda-MBS-TROVE-Bike-Mag-3.jpg

What you say is true, but those bikes were ridden by World Class athletes (maybe Andy is one, I don't know), and I'm gonna guess Durango has a lot of trails now that did not exist then. I had a bike like that too,a nd it was fun and it got me hooked, but I'd never want to go back. Also, my bike that was like that cost about $1200, not sure what $1200 1989 dollars comes to, but it's probably not that far off what we are talking about.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wading in here ...

Trek, Specialized, Cannondale
I've only been to a few shops so far. I've mostly been plodding through the internet. So. Many. Brands.

Several have mentioned demo'ing, but not IMO with sufficient emphasis. DEMO. I don't think bikes are like skis - even as a novice mountain biker, I think you will develop some opinions. You probably won't know why you like one bike better than another, but I bet you will find that some suit you better than others.

Last time I bought a bike, I demo'd several very popular ones. One that was great "on paper" was just awful for me on the trail. But other people like the bike. You don't know what you want. You don't know the jargon (geometry, head tube angle, 27.5 vs 27.5+ vs 29) ... and that's fine. Just ride a few bikes and decide which one you like best. If possible, ride the same trail with each one. As others have mentioned, there are demo events that are free, and there are shops where you pay to demo. Usually if you pay to demo, that shop will deduct the cost of any demos (of THEIR bikes, of course) from the price of the bike you buy.

and knowing @Andy Mink he will never need what a $5K bike will bring.

Wait, are we talking NEED or WANT? I was unaware anyone needs a mountain bike at all ...

It turns out my (wife's) budget is significantly less than anticipated. Like zero. There will have to be some negotiations. It could be harder than peace in the Middle East but I'm committed!

My husband and I used to fight a lot about the bikes and skis I wanted to buy. We settled on an alternate approach - I withdrew $X into a "bikes and skis" account every month. I didn't have to ask him when I bought bikes or skis. He didn't have to be the fun police. We also agreed that if I sold any of our household clutter, I could apply the proceeds to that account. It worked pretty well, and I didn't have to deal with his "feast or famine" emotions about finance (we all have some weird emotions around finance, I think).

Except that you may live longer than you expect, medical bills can go to six figures, and the current state of the market can really affect you when you're relying on it for income (while you're inherently losing money via inflation if you stick it in a mattress/savings account). Also, your kids will spend a lot less in taxes if they inherit your money than if you gift it while alive (depending on amounts, but I don't think most of us are in the "have to worry about inheritance tax" category).

Bobalooski

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Eric - you might as well be speaking German! Is there a great resource for those of us less experienced with all the terminology and technical aspects? Where would you point someone who wants to get a deeper understanding of these variables?

Also, when I first got into golfing, I asked one of my ski buddy golfing friends which golf manufacturers were most similar to Stockli (from the perspective of their reputation and placement in the market). He told me Mizuno and Miura. I never looked back and I'm a Mizuno guy (with a sprinkling of Callaway in my bag). So my question in the bike world is "who are the Stocklis among the bike manufacturers?". As noted, Stockli makes bikes, but which other manufacturers have similar reputations as Stockli does in the ski world?

Hear ya, @Noodler! About to go from these...

17ECE2DE-365E-41BB-B043-010BEAD5C115.jpeg
to these...

B0E932E6-86D6-4738-84DE-454199661F5C.jpeg D2AC2224-3A9A-4675-896E-9A237A8456B3.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online