• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

School me on Skins

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I think I'll pick up a pair of the Pomoca S glides for the Renouns this fall. Those skins I had in the garage for 10 years aren't looking so good after a closer look :).

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
F331E084-8D4E-4B9B-A1C6-83D7EB8FE660.jpeg

Here’s you pic - G3’s are the favorite here in BS

In2h2o

Out on the slopes
Skier
Would I really notice an increase in glide with the Pomoca Climb Pro S-Glide (mohair / nylon mix)? and not loose that much in grip?
My go to has been the Black Diamond Ascension (full nylon) for the Eastern Sierra
I'm sure the Pomoca's would be lighter and not as stiff as the BDs.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Would I really notice an increase in glide with the Pomoca Climb Pro S-Glide (mohair / nylon mix)? and not loose that much in grip?
My go to has been the Black Diamond Ascension (full nylon) for the Eastern Sierra
I don't believe I would be able to tell the difference, unless I had a BD on one ski and the Pomoca on the other maybe. I do have a set of Dynafit branded Pomocas that are lighter than my BD, G3, and Geckos, but a lot of the savings is in the attachment hardware, they do fold/roll easier as well.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't believe I would be able to tell the difference, unless I had a BD on one ski and the Pomoca on the other maybe. I do have a set of Dynafit branded Pomocas that are lighter than my BD, G3, and Geckos, but a lot of the savings is in the attachment hardware, they do fold/roll easier as well.
If you can tell a difference when you have one on one ski and another on the other, then there is a difference which will be significant over a few hours of skinning.

James

Out There
Instructor
Speaking of skins, would a DPS Wailer 99 be a poor ski for skinning due to rocker and tapers? For some short skinning. 15-60min.

0655C813-F819-49E6-AADD-A58A469A6EE3.jpeg
1274EFDB-FA02-456E-B123-0E6F60178A40.jpeg

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
so would a 130 be Ok on the Praxis's 138 tip?

Yes. Most of the grip will come from the center 1/3 of the ski and a bit back. The front 1/3 of the ski doesnt do much when going uphill. I have even used skins narrower than the skis (100mm wide skins on a 112mm wide ski) and they worked well enough. When cutting the skins make sure you have the metal edge exposed throughout. That will help you not slide out when skinning on steeper, icier slopes. Also technique is key, avoid bending too far forward, put more pressure on your heels. Kinda the opposite of downhill skiing.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

My 2Cents is you would notice a big increase in glide if you went to a pure mohair skin. You will loose a little grip as well. I have a BD glidelight mix mohair skin (65% mohair, 35% nylon) that I don't think glides well, but they do have more than enough grip. I read and emailed the blister boys and they said that glide/grip is similar between similar construction skins. And grip/glide change in opposite directions. Pure mohair best glide and nylon worst glide, mix inbetween.

I tried a friends skins, I think they were a mixed skin, but I wasn't sure, and it definitely glided better than mine, but had a little less grip too. Personally, I want the best glide with at least decent grip I can get = pure Mohair. These will be the less tiring skins to use, and I am not in great shape so I need the lowest resistance skin I can get. I am going to get Pomoca Climp Pro or Race Pro skins.

Width of skin effects grip/glide as well. You can size by mid point width, tail width, or tip width. They all work, but the more skin, the less glide and the more grip. I am going to go with tail width or mid width skins. I have 108 mm mid width skis, which are pretty wide. My BD Glidelight skins are tip width and have more grip than I need. I might cut them narrower to improve glide, but they do work well on ice, so if my second pair of skins are high glide, I will probably be covered.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I just ordered Marker Frame bindings to skin up our 1,000 foot mountain in the East.

I'm thinking grip will be the most important for me being new to this with heavyish bindings.

Would the G3 Alpinist Grip be a better choice than the Scala? In general is that a good way for me to go? Or as a beginner would I be better with the Universal model to have better glide encouraging better technique?

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
One thing I have mentioned to the newb resort skinners is that if the season does not actually start, normally with snowmaking and grooming, it won't resemble the end of last year. Covid caveat. If we had to rely on just natural snowfall here without augmentation there wouldn't be much base below 8k and that means I would have to travel to ski. "The horror." Colonel Kurtz (Brando) Apocalypse Now

Reactions: Ron

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I ordered the G3 Alpinist Universals. Also ordered Marker F12 Tour Frame bindings so I can (for now) use my existing boots, and change over to different skis after skinning.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I live :15 from a 1,000 foot intermediate mountain. Ski there many weekday mornings per season. Great group of older people there. A couple of them that I know skin up and ski a lap (or sometimes 2) before the lifts spin.

My plan is to join them and then ski lift served the rest of the morning.

My wife hasn't been interested in skiing at this mountain (too boring for her) but is interested in getting some exercise in the mornings so is willing to join me many mornings. So I bought the same gear for her.

Next step is finding skis for both of us as there's nothing in our quivers to mount those bindings on, but there will always be skis around to buy. I'm just worried that skins and bindings might get hard to find by Fall.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@Steve Powder7 has these! Scott Slight 93 with Shifts for $750. there are other AT setups practically new.

DPS Tour1 99's with Shifts. Not cheap enough for me but a good setup.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
It probably wouldn't surprise anyone that I've research the heck out of skins to pick the right stuff for the skis I'm intending to use. I'm with @Slim that it makes little sense to scrimp when it comes to the skins because a bad skin can kill the entire experience no matter the rest of the gear you're on.

Everything I've found points to Pomoca as pretty much being the best choice. I'm specifically looking at the Climb 2.0 or the Climb Pro S-Glide. Anyone have any specific feedback on either of these two skins?

James

Out There
Instructor
I wouldn’t buy used Shifts unless you know the person. They’re too delicate for unknown abuse. The number of people that kick their bindings to scrape snow off their boots with Alpine bindings is great. These are some of the people demoing Shifts.

dusty

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’d agree that Pomoca skins are generally the best quality. Climb 2.0 are great all rounders without the s glide treatment. They are also a little more durable than the pinks or precuts. This is what I just bought for my wife’s new setup. Unless your really touring on flats you will not miss the glide efficiently.

BD skins are the burliest and heavy. They last though for aggressive down skinning, which I care not about. G3 skins are the cheapest and the worse in my opinion. I’ve never had contours or magic carpets. Pomoca trim tool also trumps the G3 one which was much better than the BD tool.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
Everything I've found points to Pomoca as pretty much being the best choice. I'm specifically looking at the Climb 2.0 or the Climb Pro S-Glide. Anyone have any specific feedback on either of these two skins?
I have the Climb 2.0 on my Atomic Elysian/Marker F12 frame setup and the Climb Pro S-Glide on my Elan Ripstick 94W/Shift setup. Could be the differences in the whole setup, but I feel like I get superior glide with the Pro S-Glide.

Sponsor

Staff online