• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

School me on rotobrushes

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I’m thinking of adding a rotobrush to my tuning toolkit, so have a few questions about basic setup: brands, etc. Without knowing much, I was looking to pick up a cheap but solid handle (used?) and two good quality brushes, a brass and nylon. I have a drill. Thanks in advance for suggestions and recommendations.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I’ve got a brand new Toko/Red Creek 100 mm shielded handle I was about to list for $40 shipped (cheap). You can use it with any brand of standard brushes. PM if interested.

In this thread, others talked me out of getting a brass brush. I’ve been using a Toko horsehair and nylon for the past couple months with good results.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been told that horse hair or horse hair combo will eliminate static build up on the skis.
Also, a quick, full-length run "backwards" from tail to tip will give it some extra shine.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve got a brand new Toko/Red Creek 100 mm shielded handle I was about to list for $40 shipped (cheap). You can use it with any brand of standard brushes. PM if interested.

In this thread, others talked me out of getting a brass brush. I’ve been using a Toko horsehair and nylon for the past couple months with good results.

Good deal!

Alexzn, as others have suggested, forget about the brass one, get a horsehair for first pass after scraping and the nylon for final

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Alex,

Toko Red Creek handle
Brass, Horsehair, Black Nylon
Dewalt Corded Hammer Drill

I got all three cause I wanted em
Use the black nylon the least
Always brass before and Horsehair after scraping

I have way too many skis and a faster turn around after waxing led me to the rotobrush

The hammer drill can be used for tapcon fasteners in masonary with a flick of the switch

And ....

That gear whore @KingGrump who is another enabler convinced me to load up cause life is short and the guy that dies with the most cool tools wins

Now where am I gonna hide that wintersteiger in the garage so the wife don't find it .....

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Harbor freight corded variable speed drill
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-variable-speed-reversible-drill-60614.html

can usually be found @ circa $13 with coupon.! Lighter than a hammer drill and, at that price virtually disposable. I have 2 and the original one is at 6 years now and I hav not needed the replacement....

I rarely use the brass brush \ unless i am trying to "bring back" a pairr that has sustained a lot of abuse. Need to run it at max 1000rpm if you do use it and personally at that stage i prefer a to use a steel hand brush. Also on the black horsehair there are 2 versions (at least in the Swix - and the red creek and Took are all the same with different branding) - there is a "hard" horsehair which if you put some pressure on it can put a linear structure on your skis!! :eek: and a "softer" horsehair which is tthe one I use post scraping for first pass and is probably the most used in my collection. i will admit that for training/everyday I dont always bother with the nylon, just a couple of passes with the "soft"horsehair. Of course for race day a whole different beeswax...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

can usually be found @ circa $13 with coupon.! Lighter than a hammer drill and, at that price virtually disposable. I have 2 and the original one is at 6 years now and I hav not needed the replacement....

I rarely use the brass brush \ unless i am trying to "bring back" a pairr that has sustained a lot of abuse. Need to run it at max 1000rpm if you do use it and personally at that stage i prefer a to use a steel hand brush. Also on the black horsehair there are 2 versions (at least in the Swix - and the red creek and Took are all the same with different branding) - there is a "hard" horsehair which if you put some pressure on it can put a linear structure on your skis!! :eek: and a "softer" horsehair which is tthe one I use post scraping for first pass and is probably the most used in my collection. i will admit that for training/everyday I dont always bother with the nylon, just a couple of passes with the "soft"horsehair. Of course for race day a whole different beeswax...
Are you channeling my better half? This is almost exactly what he does. :D He's been the tune shop manager/tech at a local shop for 19 years now. He's tuned a few skis in his life! He told me he'd get me a drill from Harbor Freight so we could wax at home if we didn't have time to run to the shop, and pretty much uses the softer horse hair exclusively, two passes with pressure, then one backwards light pass to polish it up, unless specified otherwise (ie. someone has special instructions.)

I helped out this weekend and declared "me want one of these!"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A water spray bottle to spritz some water on the wax after scraping and before buffing.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
A water spray bottle to spritz some water on the wax after scraping and before buffing.
I've never tried that, assume it is to counteract the friction, but will give it a try next time I tune my skis

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
I use the brass pre wax. Post scrape use the horsehair and then the nylon. Not sure the nylon is necessary, but it puts a nice sheen on the bases. :D

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier

+1 on the el cheapo from Harbor Freight. It works fine.

Sponsor

Staff online