• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

School me on AT skis/bindings

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Haha, I had to laugh, you are exclty right, there are ‘a few different standards’.
The tricky part is figuring out what is compatible with what, because it is not always an actual standard, nor is the gear always labeled correctly in the product description.

The easiest way is to just get a package from a dedicated backcountry store like www.cripplecreekbc.com or www.skimo.co.

If you want to do it yourself here is some info:

categories of bindings:

Skitrab’s tech system: only compatible with certain boots, labeled as such.
Standard tech bindings: compatible with every boot with tech fittings, except some issues between Fritschi Vipec and Tecton bindings with Dynafit speed nose toe.
Tech bindings with alpine heel(Tecton and Kingpin): needs a proper heel lug and tech fittings.
Shift and Duke PT: need tech fittings and full heel and toe lugs
Frame bindings: need full heel and toe lugs

The part about ‘full heel and toe lugs‘ refers to the fact that dedicated lightweight touring boots tend to have a shorter outsole, with a minimal heel and toe lug.
Large enough to clip on a crampon, but not large enough, nor shaped right, to fit into alpine style bindings, even if that binding is height adjustable to be compatible with rockered, rubber soled, AT boots.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Lupo air you link has normal AT soles with tech inserts, so would work with pretty much any binding.

However, do not buy them off EBay!
You can find plenty of AT boots for a similar, or lower price in real (online) stores right now, so that you can actually try them on, and compare the fit between different models.
www.skiessentials.com

For an overview of boots and bindings read:

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

written before COVID...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Steve ,
I saw in your other post that you plan to skin at a fairly short mountain.
In that case you might want to pay extra attention to fast transitions.
Boots like Dynafit or skimo-race-derived boots, that transtion with only one lever, or at least boots that can be skinned with the buckles latched in the normal position, so you only have to flip the lever over. Also helps if there are fewer buckles.
Best way to find that out is try the boots on, and switch from full skin to full ski mode twice..

Bindings that allow ’ski’s on’ transitions at the top.

if you are doing fairly short laps, transitions really start to eat into your total time. Maybe it’s also because I am impatient, that it bothers me to be doing that rather than skiing up or down.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the "fast transitions" for me is pretty useless, I have a single friend that loves that stuff, he is like a mountain goat, his husky is 2 years, and he takes a few more trips when the dog is worn out for the day!

At the top I wanna CHILL and take my time adjusting gear for decent.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@anders_nor , that’s why I only posted it after I saw @Steve plans to skin at a 1000’(300m) hill.
When I am in the mountains, I often want to relax and enjoy the view at the top, but in town here, at a 500’(150m) hill, I really want to switch quick and start down right away. Otherwise I spend more time transitioning than skiing.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
However, do not buy them off EBay!
You can find plenty of AT boots for a similar, or lower price in real (online) stores right now, so that you can actually try them on, and compare the fit between different models.
www.skiessentials.com

Nice links for the reviews. I too am looking for AT gear. But the prices are outrageous. I clicked on the skiessentials link looking for AT bindings. I asked to sort by price. I thought it was sorted backwards because the price shown was $380 and I thought surely that meant the most expensive binding possible.....

WRONG. Bindings alone range from a LOW of $380 to a high of $800

I just want to buy some ski gear, I don't want to buy a ski lift .....

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@anders_nor , that’s why I only posted it after I saw @Steve plans to skin at a 1000’(300m) hill.
When I am in the mountains, I often want to relax and enjoy the view at the top, but in town here, at a 500’(150m) hill, I really want to switch quick and start down right away. Otherwise I spend more time transitioning than skiing.
But your... slim! ;D

I'm guessing we are talking vertical climb yes? I still like to chill after 150m :p

Joel

Having fun
Skier
AT gear is where I landed. I have been a big fan of Vipec bindings, I have them on a few skis. The prices on them seem to swing wildly.

Buying them only hurts once.

Idris

Getting off the lift
Skier
To start out, get a pair of Marker F10's and a pair of skins, mount them on skis you already have and yuse your normal boots. When you are doing 3000ft laps on a regular basis, then it's time to upgrade. You should be able to get going for $200 if you do a bit of searching $400 if your google skils are low.......

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I got the F12's prodeal and ordered skins and a pair of Stockli Edge 88's on a deep discount. I have Stockli race skis and love them and think this will not only be good for the uphill laps, but a good all mountain addition to my quiver. I didn't have any skis 88 or larger (required for the Tour bindings) besides my Soul 7's and want my uphill skis to be higher performance than them. Will use my regular boots.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I got the F12's prodeal and ordered skins and a pair of Stockli Edge 88's on a deep discount. I have Stockli race skis and love them and think this will not only be good for the uphill laps, but a good all mountain addition to my quiver. I didn't have any skis 88 or larger (required for the Tour bindings) besides my Soul 7's and want my uphill skis to be higher performance than them. Will use my regular boots.
Back in the day when AT skis were very short, I mounted a pair of silvretta AT frame bindings on a pair of 200 GS skis, uphill was troubled at best, but downhill (my preferred part) was superb.
As for boots...which are your "regular boots" ? Anything goes, but Alpine boots without cuff mobility are not really comfortable on the uphill and going to cause you a lot of blisters...

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Fischer Rangers with Zipfits. Will I be ok?

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister

If there's a walk mode on them, you should be ok... I assume you'll be skinning WaWa and Berkshire East? You're not going to be racking up huge vertical.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There is a walk mode, and I can loosen the buckles and power strap.
Yup, mostly Wachusett before the lifts open.
Never done this so have no idea what to expect not using fancy alpine boots.
The Edge 88's are basically Stormrider 88's modified a bit.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
There is a walk mode, and I can loosen the buckles and power strap.
Yup, mostly Wachusett before the lifts open.
Never done this so have no idea what to expect not using fancy alpine boots.
The Edge 88's are basically Stormrider 88's modified a bit.

You can expect to sweat — a lot.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are there different Rangers?
My daughter has the Women’s Ranger Free.
The Ranger Free boots have a very good walk mode (for a Freeride boot). Not sure about the zipfit liners.
The Stock Liner walks well. You could use that for your skinning time, then switch to Zipfits for Lift riding.
If your’s came with a not-so-great-walking liner, Sierra Trading often has the Scarpa-Intuition liners for low prices.

TS
Steve

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
U17117-2.jpg

This is the boot. I'm trying to stay away from the lodge and thus changing liners isn't a great solution. We'll see how the zipfits work I guess, or I could just go back to my Intuitions for all day.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
View attachment 107786

This is the boot. I'm trying to stay away from the lodge and thus changing liners isn't a great solution. We'll see how the zipfits work I guess, or I could just go back to my Intuitions for all day.
You should be fine, at least at the beginning. With an 88 wide ski with frame binding (I notice the boot picture you posts is of a boot without Dynafit inserts) like the Marker F10/F12 (or Baron or Duke or the Salomon/Atomic Guardian, but these last three are heavier) it will beat the hell out of skinning up with Gotama, Baron and Downhill Race plug boots (= blisters and a lot of pain), since those times I've moved to a lighter "Freeride" Boot (1st gen Tecnica Zero G guide pro)...still, this is not about me, in any case:
Once hooked, you'll soon feel that you want more than that and will look to proper AT boots and bindings, in a perpetual quest for "lighter", "nimbler" "faster uphill", equipment (and I'm talking not only about boots, bindings and skis, but also backpacks, helmets, clothes)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online