• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Satellite Swarm

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last night I saw an impressive display in the sky. My lake is pretty dark sky so satellite watching is an evening entertainment. I always wish upon a satellite - good luck from our wonderful tech on display.

Last night, it was weird. I saw a satellite, then another following it. OK, that was interesting. Then another? 20 seconds later, another. Another! This went on for half an hour. An amazing show.

Elon Musk's Spacex is deploying the Starlink constellation of satellites to provide internet to the world where reception is otherwise unavailable. A lofty and worthwhile goal but creating problems for astronomers. Pretty for the casual observer.

Eric

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
20200416_210447.jpg

TS
Eleeski

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Image from a cracked lens on a phone camera with my palsied hand holding. The bright "star" is Venus, the brightest object in the sky other than the sun and moon. The visible dot to the right is one of the satellites. Brighter than anything else in the sky but Venus!

Look for them next clear dark night.

Eric

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The ISS passes over us every month or so and is pretty easily spotted if the weather folks give us a heads up. Gotta say, I'm pretty damned good with the ecological positive externalities of this new normal. But then, I've worked remotely for 9 of the last 12 years. I only went back to an on site office gig about a year ago after 9 years of working remotely for same client similar functions. Traffic down, way down, less pollution, more buildings dark at night, less light pollution YAY!

Sponsor

Staff online