• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sandflex Sanding Block

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Are these the same as gummy stones? They are kind of rubbery...

Sandflex Sanding Block - 3 Pack

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Sanding a base can help to flatten it, but I would recommend scraping well with steel after that.
Then several passes with some coarse fiber pad to try to reduce the "hairiness" that sanding will create.
I had to search as the Amazon link I don't get.
Those are soft like a sponge. Forget those things!

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Sandflex blocks are made for cleaning metal. I have used them for years to clean tools. They are not soft, they are the same consistency as a gummy. The coarse one's grit is nearest to a gummy. The fine one can be used to clean any rust off edges. They will indeed work for de-tuning edges. At a fraction of the cost of a gummy. They could be cut in 1/2 with a cleaver or hacksaw to carry in a pocket.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
yeah, I see these as more a pumice stone. It's light, hard and brittle. feel wise somethat like a dried block of french bread.

Jacques

Skier
The Sandflex blocks are made for cleaning metal. I have used them for years to clean tools. They are not soft, they are the same consistency as a gummy. The coarse one's grit is nearest to a gummy. The fine one can be used to clean any rust off edges. They will indeed work for de-tuning edges. At a fraction of the cost of a gummy. They could be cut in 1/2 with a cleaver or hacksaw to carry in a pocket.
Okay, I'll stand corrected. Looked like those spongy things to me. Still, I would lean away from ever sanding a base.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
You must be thinking of something else. Sandflex blocks are a rubber type material impregnated with different grits. They are dense and you can bend them quite a bit. If you would throw them on the floor they would bounce.

yeah, I see these as more a pumice stone. It's light, hard and brittle. feel wise somethat like a dried block of french bread.

Jacques

Skier
You must be thinking of something else. Sandflex blocks are a rubber type material impregnated with different grits. They are dense and you can bend them quite a bit. If you would throw them on the floor they would bounce.
Okay, if they can be bent or flexed, I would not use them. Again, best not to sand a base.
Maybe I was correct.

JWMN

Getting off the lift
Skier
The OP is asking if they work like a gummy. As far as I know, gummies are used to de-tune edges. They are way too small to consider using them to sand anything, much less the base of a ski. And I would agree the base of a ski should never be sanded. (even if some rental shops run the ski base over a belt sander and call it tuned. I have seen it happen)
Okay, if they can be bent or flexed, I would not use them. Again, best not to sand a base.
Maybe I was correct.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
FYI:

Cratex "blocks" are similar to gummies. They are firm rubberlike material impregnated with silicon carbide abrasive. Sold in 6" lengths in various cross sections and grits. Cost for a 1/2"x1/2"x6" medium grit block is around $25-$35 USD. You can cut the 6" blocks into 3 gummie-sized 2" sections - which makes the per section cost way less than a gummi.

Sponsor

Staff online