• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
What kind of avy certification is recommended for BC sand skiing?. Only sort of kidding. When I was a kid we used to go to the sand and dirt quarries and play there. Take off running across the top of a huge mountain of dirt or sand then leap off the edge flying about 50 feet down the hill to land and roll the rest of the way down Saw on the news some other kid died doing that a couple years later when it avalanched on top of him. .
Wow! Stick to natural dunes. They won't slide or collapse.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Something I learned surfing (thinking it was easy because I windsurfed extremely well), wipeout and sand can get stuffed in places you never knew you had :eek:.

You been warned.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Wow! Stick to natural dunes. They won't slide or collapse.
A little digging seems to suggest that in rare instances they can collapse, mostly when there is digging or other disruptive activity near the base of them. There can also be erosion under parts of them making them unstable. Such accidents appear to be extremely rare except when people are digging tunnels.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
A little digging seems to suggest that in rare instances they can collapse, mostly when there is digging or other disruptive activity near the base of them. There can also be erosion under parts of them making them unstable. Such accidents appear to be extremely rare except when people are digging tunnels.

The Sleeping Bear National Sand Dunes Park along Lake Michigan's east coast had a case a few years ago where someone was buried when the sand they were walking on collapsed into a hole left when a buried tree's remains had deteriorated to dust.

Sponsor

Staff online