• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Same model bindings on all pairs of skis?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have the same model of bindings on multiple pairs of skis?

I have the Salomon STH 10 Ski Bindings on two pairs of skis (K2 Superfree 163 & Volkl Aura 170). I'm not sure if I want to go with the same model on my new Volkl Kendo 163. On the plus side, the bindings are very light and not that expensive. However, it seems like Marker Griffons are held in high regard by a lot of people. I have to admit, I don't usually think much about my bindings as long as they release when I want them to.

:crash:
Any suggestions?
Karen,

I would like to get you on two identical skis one pair with a Salomon Sth10 and another with a Sth2 13. You will be amazed at the performance different especially on firm snow. The Sth2 13 is a much more solid interface and laterally more rigid that you would actuality think that you were on two different skis. We can discuss the balance of retention verses release all day long but the performance different between a more expensive better build binding makes the difference when you are actually skiing and that is 99% of the time you are using the binding.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Karen,

I would like to get you on two identical skis one pair with a Salomon Sth10 and another with a Sth2 13. You will be amazed at the performance different especially on firm snow. The Sth2 13 is a much more solid interface and laterally more rigid that you would actuality think that you were on two different skis. We can discuss the balance of retention verses release all day long but the performance different between a more expensive better build binding makes the difference when you are actually skiing and that is 99% of the time you are using the binding.

Interesting. I never realized that bindings affected the performance of a ski before. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but could you explain a bit more how they make a difference? I am noticing a big performance difference (on hard snow between my Auras and my Hell's Belles. The Auras have the FFG 10 (which I believe is an Atomic badge for the Sth 10?) and the Hell's Belles have the Axial 2.

ETA The Auras were my all time favorite ski, but I ski so much better on the Hell's Belles.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is interesting and is really messing with my reality. I have been on Jesters for a few years and have no problems with them at all... Maybe I have to start demoing bindings to see what I am missing.

JayT

Tahoe Powder Junkie
Skier
I've had / have Griffons and Jesters on a few skis. They're fine, but I'm definitely a Salomon fan now. Both the STH2's and Guardians - I actually have the latter on three setups now so I have just as many options in the BC as at the resort.

Salomon bindings are WAY easier to step into than Marker, which in a tricky spot can be a big deal.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think that sticking with the same binding, so that you have a lot of familiarity with them has some pluses. Sorry for this novel.

I've had this binding conversation with Phil and Bill Talbot a few times. If they still produced it, the Look P-15, or Rossi FKS 155 would be my absolute binding of choice for almost of my skis. Everything, I think but deep powder skis. That would be just because I'd be a bit lazy getting back in after coming out. For me, they have the right DIN range, the right materials {other than the cup on the heels for your pole tip to gouge out}, the right design. The only downside is the cost of extra brakes, and the effort tho swap them, etc. And of course, the minor fact that they are sadly no longer in production.

I'm not a fan of the P-14 toe. The DIN range in the P-18 I more than I want. I've dropped a lot of weight over the past 18 month, and I'm about 195lbs. I still "send it" according to my kids, but I'm also 61. So, while I want to ski at a DIN of 9-11 or so most of the time, I don't want a min 9 or 10 DIN. Might be old school thinking, in not skiing at the bottom of the range, but I'm sticking with it. Force of habit.

Our daughter was a comp'd Rossi athlete a long time ago, and like a dope, I didn't hold on to her 155's or 185's. She used to get about six pairs a season, and we'd pass them on, sell them, return them. Some would make their way to my skis. But her older race skis were always in demand, and they were useless without Rossi bindings. So….no knowing they'd dump the binding, we kept very few. I remember giving boxes of them to her ski academy after she changed companies. Pains me to recall it.

Our son was on Elan over a decade a ago, and they had a deal with Salomon at the time. All of his tech skis were set up with a VIST plate and Salomon 916's. The speed skis had 920's. We had a lot of bindings, and we kept almost all of those. A bunch are still being skied…a lot. I love the 916. Same binding as the STH16 steel.

I now have almost all of my skis now set up with Salomon STH2 16's, unless they don't come flat, as is the case with a couple pairs of my Head's. I made the decision to move to that binding due to the huge 7-16 DIN range, primarily. But I like the toe design, and the elasticity. I have been really pleased with it, in every respect. Rock solid feel, nice clunk getting in. And I've come out of them when I needed to….not much, maybe 3-4 times in a lot of ski days. Swapping brakes is easy, if needed. The heel travel does come in handy upon occasion. I think I have about 60 days on the pair with the most use. All good.

I mounted a pair of my wife's skis with the STH2 13 two years ago. She had previously had the ski mounted with an STH12, and she immediately noticed, or at least perceived, a much more solid feel. Since then, we've mounted her skis with that binding, other than her Head Super Joys. Our daughter is all Solly these days. Some STH2 16's, some STH2 13's, and a couple of pairs of Guardians. She had never really skied on a Solly until her race days wound down after college a few years ago. Big Solly fan now.

BTW, very happy with the Head branded Tyrolia's on our Head's. They've worked fine. Our son has a lot of experience with Tyrolia bindings as well, and the race bindings that he's had always did the job. Good product.

But, yeah, I think that sticking to a binding that you're familiar with, comfortable with, etc. makes some sense.

TS
Karen_skier2.0

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Karen,

Phil,
I'm the type of geek that would love to be able to change one variable at a time like that. (A true blind ski test would be awesome, but that's another story.) Obviously, the Kendo and Aura are similar, but I have the Aura 170s for deeper and faster. The Kendos 163s are for early and late season crud and moguls when I'm not primarily skiing moguls. The ski-boot interface is key for transfer of energy, but honestly, I haven't paid that much attention to the latest in technology these past few years as I was just having too much time having fun skiing after missing out on more than a decade! I think I better get the credit card out and purchase a pair of those. I doubt I can find them cheaper.
Karen

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With an 89 width ski, is a 90 width brake okay, or is it better to go to 100?
90 is > 80, you will be fine. You mention that you do not like the P14 toe but that is even better than the Z toe that you are skiing. The Driver toe of the Salomon is more like the single pivot toe of the Look/Rossi 15/18.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I guess since I have 8 or 9 pairs of marker 20s in the current rotation, that qualifies. Excellent binding and pretty bombproof when mounted on a piston plate. Also got multiples of Tyrolia RD and Atomic X series. And for someone who was a long time solly fan down to only 1 STH16 and 1 STH216.... All good bindings though!

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just to throw a curve ball: Rottefella NTN bindings on all my tele skis, Dynafit ST on my AT skis (though I'll probably try G3's Ion on the next set). So I'm pretty consistent in the binding purchase category.

Marker Lords on my one alpine set.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Just to throw a curve ball: Rottefella NTN bindings on all my tele skis, Dynafit ST on my AT skis (though I'll probably try G3's Ion on the next set). So I'm pretty consistent in the binding purchase category.

Marker Lords on my one alpine set.

Is it true that you have to sell your firstborn for an NTN setup?

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I love the STH2! The only other binding I use any more is the Tracker, and only because I dont believe in Dynafits.

To actually answer your question though, I think its a good idea to at least stay with a very similar binding on your quiver. The only variation I have is the Tracker. Someone already said it; you can become more farmiliar with one binding so if something were to go wrong you have a better probability of at least troubleshooting it.

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is it true that you have to sell your firstborn for an NTN setup?
Not necessarily. Giving up food and housing is another option.

Although NTN makes tech bindings look like a relative bargain.

Sponsor

Staff online