Salvaging skis, moving system rail from one to another

Discussion in 'Tuning Techniques and Tool Information' started by jzmtl, Nov 25, 2018.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Intermidiot Skier

So long story short, I broke the rail on my all mountain ski and delaminated my carving ski. The (hopefully) saving grace is both use the same system binding, Head PR11.

The delaminated ski is done for, ski shop tried to epoxy it and it held for 2 hours. I'm hoping to be able to move the still good rail to replace the damaged one. Since the screws and holes are identical on both, is it as simple as unscrew the rail and screw it onto another ski? I'm very mechanically inclined, should I do it myself or play it safe and bring it to a shop? If I do it myself, what should I use to seal the screw hole from water intrusion?

Photoed below are the two skis in question, left is good rail/broken ski, right is broken rail/good ski.

[​IMG]

This is the damage, rail screws were pulled out of core, rail is intact.

[​IMG]

2. JMD

JMD Putting on skis Skier

Sorry you have had a problem with the two sets of skis. The good news is the plate can easily be exchanged from the bad ski to the good ski. Simply unscrew and remount. Best to use a drop of Wood Glue to aid with sealing screw holes.

jzmtl likes this.
  3. Thread Starter
    TS
    jzmtl

jzmtl Intermidiot Skier

Thanks, good to hear it's as easy as that.The broken pair is has given me many years of good service so I'm satisfied. It's actually the first pair of advanced ski I've bought, so I may just keep them and hang on the wall.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  4. Brian Finch

Brian Finch PT, CSCS, Cert- DN, FRCms, M|WOD Coach Industry Insider

Paging @Eric Edelstein to the courtesy phone. We use this system at ExoticSkis & Eric recently put a rail on some mid 90, prior asymmetric Powder Pluses for me :)

jzmtl likes this.
  5. EBG18T

EBG18T Luv da snow! Skier

Your in luck. Just make sure you use glue to seal things up when you put the screws back in.

jzmtl likes this.

6. WheatKing

WheatKing Ice coast carveaholic Skier

The screws aren't phillips either.. they're posi-drive. get a posi bit off amazon or something so you don't end up messing up the screws.

jzmtl likes this.
  7. Thread Starter
    TS
    jzmtl

jzmtl Intermidiot Skier

It turned out all the Head skis with system binding have steel thread insert built into the core, so that made things easier. The rail replacement was quit easy, literally screw off screw on, an impact driver made removing the screws piece of cake. Hopefully a dab of wood glue in each hole is enough to keep the screws from moving and water out.