• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salomon XMax, XPRO, SMAX, SPRO

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
My old Salomon XWave 9.0 boots are worn out and I'm looking to replace them. (when boots work well, I keep them a long time) I checked out some boots in Utah last year as well as few this weekend at the only local ski shop. My foot and calf are low volume, especially in the ankle. Slightly narrow foot too. My overall conclusion is that Salomon boots fit me well. I was able to try a 26.5 S Max 120 that fit well but might have been a little long. I typically wear 25.5 but they didn't have that size in stock. (local ski shop is small)

I'm debating what to do next:
1. Wait until Dec when I'll be in Beaver Creek to buy boots. This is the safest bet but will be hard to fit into the schedule and most expensive.
2. Buy last year's model online. I can get a 25.5 X max or Xpro 25.5 or 26.5 for over 50% off. I think i even tried the x max 25.5 on and really liked it but I stupidly forgot to write down the exact model last spring.

What do the experts think?

If it matters, I ski everything including steep chutes, glades, bumps and groomers. I ski mostly out west. I'm only 130 lbs and 5'8". I plan to get new skis sometime in the next year too but the old boots are falling apart so they are the first priority.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What do the experts think?
  • You are not going to get a fit online (here)
  • Get the boot that fits YOUR foot
  • Don't worry about what brand it is
  • You keep a boot for more than a decade, saving a couple of bucks on a leftover boot that chances are won't fit will end up being more expensive in time and money in the long run.
Conclusion:
  • Do it right the first time with a good boot fitter.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
  • You are not going to get a fit online (here)
  • Get the boot that fits YOUR foot
  • Don't worry about what brand it is
  • You keep a boot for more than a decade, saving a couple of bucks on a leftover boot that chances are won't fit will end up being more expensive in time and money in the long run.
Conclusion:
  • Do it right the first time with a good boot fitter.
I only mention Salomon, and the "max" specifically, because they seem to fit the best when I have been able to try on several brands. If there are other boots anyone wants to recommend for my low volume foot type, that would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to locate many stats online other than last. Are there more stats somewhere?

I've gone the boot fitting route before but I'd much rather use my ski trip time skiing than shopping. I'm leaning toward ordering the x max 25.5 and if it fits, I'm good. If it doesn't fit, ship it back and re-evaluate.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Every brand has "low volume" options. Yet most fit differently. Most also offer a good amount of customization...you can keep buying boots on line and keep shipping them back..or you can go into a shop and have it done right the first time. Many shops also have left over deals and you will get the same amount of services...with a fit guarantee. Your best deals are not always online, once you figure the cost of time into the equation. Remember, you are not buying a boot, you are buying a fit.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-
I was able to try a 26.5 S Max 120 that fit well but might have been a little long. I typically wear 25.5 but they didn't have that size in stock. (local ski shop is small)
-
2. Buy last year's model online. I can get a 25.5 X max or Xpro 25.5 or 26.5 for over 50% off. I think i even tried the x max 25.5 on and really liked it but I stupidly forgot to write down the exact model last spring.
All of the three X-Max boots share the same shell and fit the same. The 130 has a better liner which is also what accounts for the extra stiffness over the 120. The 100 lacks the two rear cuff to clog bolts of the 120 and 130, why its spec'd at 100 flex.
Short of going to a shop, I would order the 25.5 X-Max 120 (or 130) along with the current S-Max 120. See which fits best. The old X-Max will have a roomier toe shape then the new S-Max which is narrower overall with a tighter heel pocket.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you’ll have to look for last year model to find the X. S Pro is the medium width, S Max is the narrow, low volume boot. I am in last year SMax 130 I am your height but 180#. You may want a softer flex.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
X Max 120 25.5 ordered tonight. Worst case, I'm out 7 bucks in return shipping. Best case, I save $300 and have boots sorted without having to waste ski trip time shopping.

thanks for the tips everyone

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Update: got the boots and they fit well. 25.5 is definitely the right size. I'll probably heat fit them this weekend.

TS
Nathanvg

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I delayed heat fitting them because some instructions recommend skiing with them beforehand. On one hand that makes sense since the linear will pack down. On the other hand, its likely to have some discomfort those first few days. Any opinions?

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never had to heat mold my X-Max 120 liner and or shell but there was an issue with pain above the navicular closer to the lateral malleolus which occurred about every other time I'd put on the boots. Trimming the tongue's excess flap beyond the stitching was the fix for that one.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I only mention Salomon, and the "max" specifically, because they seem to fit the best when I have been able to try on several brands. If there are other boots anyone wants to recommend for my low volume foot type, that would be appreciated.

I haven't been able to locate many stats online other than last. Are there more stats somewhere?

I've gone the boot fitting route before but I'd much rather use my ski trip time skiing than shopping. I'm leaning toward ordering the x max 25.5 and if it fits, I'm good. If it doesn't fit, ship it back and re-evaluate.

If you do not mind shipping them back go for it. SBF has a shop in BC and Vail (Lionshead). They can fine tune the fit on any boot you get. Just make sure its close enough to the right fit for you from the start.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not to discredit @Ken_R's advice as it could be what's best for you but I'd suggest bringing the boots to your local ski shop, get a second opinion on the fit. They didn't have the size you wanted in a boot two seasons out of production, you found it elsewhere, it is returnable so you had nothing to lose except possibly return shipping (free if you used PayPal), they should understand that and help you out in good faith for future purchases. They may even dial in the fit and mold them for you free of charge.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I delayed heat fitting them because some instructions recommend skiing with them beforehand. On one hand that makes sense since the linear will pack down. On the other hand, its likely to have some discomfort those first few days. Any opinions?

Try spending some time, like an hour or so for a couple of days in them at home. Heat them if you are sure. I wouldn't ski them before you are sure.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There's a feature on the shell where the instep buckle can be shifted to accommodate problem areas by changing the pull point and direction.

Try spending some time, like an hour or so for a couple of days in them at home. Heat them if you are sure. I wouldn't ski them before you are sure.

The ski feel will be completely, astoundingly different from the boot he is coming from. Most particularly in rebound - the X-Max plastic is miles slower and damper than the old X-Waves.

Of course, he might like that - I know a lot of iced-up groomer skiers who do - but he won't be able to tell until he gets it on snow. There is nothing he can do indoors to simulate that, short of finding a carpet skiing facility.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had mine heat fitted. Absolutely the best thing I ever did. No discomfort the first day. I would recommend it.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
I never had to heat mold my X-Max 120 liner and or shell but there was an issue with pain above the navicular closer to the lateral malleolus which occurred about every other time I'd put on the boots. Trimming the tongue's excess flap beyond the stitching was the fix for that one.
I have same problem and I was thinking only Dalbello is Boot for me, till I went to good shop that they know what to do . I was thinking is it tongue problem till I put liner in Dalbello and pain was gone( I am talking about Fisher) , Then what I did , I compare it with My Dalbello and saw Dalbello has less Degree the 90 and little bump at that area, All Salomon, Atomic , Fischer makes at this angle almost 90 degree very tight is that area , but Dalbello not . Shop heat boot and punch out at that area and made it almost same as Dalbello has it is that area .After that not more pain or discomfort .

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have same problem and I was thinking only Dalbello is Boot for me, till I went to good shop that they know what to do . I was thinking is it tongue problem till I put liner in Dalbello and pain was gone( I am talking about Fisher) , Then what I did , I compare it with My Dalbello and saw Dalbello has less Degree the 90 and little bump at that area, All Salomon, Atomic , Fischer makes at this angle almost 90 degree very tight is that area , but Dalbello not . Shop heat boot and punch out at that area and made it almost same as Dalbello has it is that area .After that not more pain or discomfort .
When flexing some new arrival skis on the wall, I mentioned the boot thing to an employee who as it turned out also skied Salomon boots and knew exactly what it was and the fix for it.

IceChick

Booting up
Skier
If you can swing by Larry's Bootfitting in Boulder on your way to Beaver Creek he can improve the fit on pretty much any boot, heat mold those Salomon's, make you custom insoles, replace parts, doctor the flex, adjust canting, etc. Bought my x/max 110 w from him and I've never had a better fitting rec boot. Heat molding definitely made the difference, didn't feel like I needed to ski in them beforehand to know where the major pressure points were.