• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Salomon XDR 79

Mike Mullen

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I took the family skiing in Lake Tahoe and we had a blast. I spent most of my time with my kids on beginner hills, but I did get to venture out on my own to do some intermediate runs. I had an outstanding time on my rented Salomon XDR 79. They gave me 160, (5'9" 175lbs). Maybe the ski is too small?? I think these come in 160 and 170 lengths.

This is the first time I wanted to purchase the skis I rented. We usually ski a few times a year, but we might be going more often as the kids had such a great time. I was hoping to buy the used skis from the rental place, but they said no dice. This would be my first ski purchase. I would prefer used, (to save a few bucks) but the new prices aren't horrible.

Any tips on other skis to consider? How much different will a 170 be to a 160? I would say overall I am a decent intermediate. I can ski black diamond, but I find them a little stressful and while I get to the bottom, I wouldn't say I have "fun" doing it. So I have a ways to go to really be an expert, but I feel I am a solid intermediate. I don't feel the need to push to be an expert skier, I just found these Solomon XDR to be very pleasant.

So any tips on finding a good used set would be outstanding. Boots? Where to start??

Thanks, in advance,
Mike

TS
M

Mike Mullen

Skier
O no, say it ain't so. I suppose the lack of responses means no one cares about a 50 year old skier that wants some advice. I build guitar amps and deal with people on forums that don't want to bother with newbies. I live in a surf town and see the locals only mentality. OK...I guess I will buy something and figure it out. Waste money and buy something else...rinse...repeat.

Laters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry for the delay..sometimes responces do not happen in minutes, it can take hours. Many of the usual testers and are out skiing on the weekends any maybe had a beverage or six and were not in the state of mind to contribute a coherant reply. @Tricia and I are at the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremonies in Utah and have been tied up at those events. I had the nagging feeling at 4:42 in the A.M., there was a question on the site that wasn't answered so I woke from my slumbers to reply to your post. ;)

We will get to the skis in a minute but you asked the question about boots, first and foremost, boots ARE more inportant than skis. No. Questions. Asked. You ski in Tahoe, there are quite a few shops that can help you with boot selection. This time of year there are sales going on and deals to be had...but only if it is the correct fit for yoru foot. How will you know if it is the right (and left) boot for you? You will know during the fit process. No suggestion from the internet will help you, you need to get to a good boot fitter.

Skis...The XDR is a great and easy/playful ski. I would suggest going up to at least the upper 160's to lower 170's for your purchase. I also would not dismiss stepping up to the XDR 84, the extra bit of width will give you a bit more versatility on days when Tahoe gets some snow.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
O no, say it ain't so. I suppose the lack of responses means no one cares about a 50 year old skier that wants some advice. I build guitar amps and deal with people on forums that don't want to bother with newbies. I live in a surf town and see the locals only mentality. OK...I guess I will buy something and figure it out. Waste money and buy something else...rinse...repeat.

Laters
The help will come. Friday night at 7:30 is generally slow as folks are decompressing from the work week or getting their gear ready to ski on Saturday. Patience. You may end up with more info and suggestions than you need and that's a good thing.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Check here on @SkiEssentials . They are a site sponsor and have good deals for Pugski members.

TS
M

Mike Mullen

Skier
Thanks Phil and Andy! As you can see my enthusiasm from the week has translated into impatience. I appreciate your tips. I am sure I will be back with more questions.

Thanks again,
Mike

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I'm no expert, but as they say, "date your skis, marry your boots." I'd spend more time focused on that rather than the skis.

You have lots of bootfitting options in Tahoe - do you prefer North Lake or South? I'm sure Tahoe folks on this site could make some specific recommendations. I got my boots done by Buck at Olympic Bootworks by Squaw, but there are several other strong options as well.

TS
M

Mike Mullen

Skier
Hi Laine, We usually stay in Chambers and go to Homewood, but we go where the group wants to go, Squaw, Sugar Bowl, North Star. This last trip we did Mt Rose. The boots I got felt pretty good, but pinched like heck when cramming my foot in. Once in, they were good, (not great) but I got some bruising from pinches on the sides - where the tongue and boot met. Comfort I can imagine is paramount in a boot, what other features should be considered in making a boot purchase?

Mike

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
what other features should be considered in making a boot purchase
A competent boot fitter is key. A good fitter will run you through a bunch of questions (How do you ski, where do you ski, what runs do you like to ski on, etc.). They will also do several measurements on your feet and ankles, plus determine the range of motion in your ankle. They will find how flexible your foot is and most likely will suggest you get a semi-custom or custom footbed. Those cost more but are worth it in the long run.

Once they get all your info they can suggest certain boots that will accommodate you best. Once you're in the boot you can figure where it feels good or doesn't. A lot of accommodations can be made for lumps and bumps by stretching the shell of the boot. Things like the pinching of the tongue are usually fairly easy to address. That could have been caused by someone not putting the boot back correctly and some of the plastic got a funky warp. The fitter should be up to that task. Good boots aren't cheap but it is much easier to ski with a good boot and a poor ski than a poor boot and great ski.

There are several reputable shops in the Tahoe area that have fitters who can get you going in the right direction. Now is a good time to get ready for next year since shops will be trying to clear out inventory. HOWEVER: if they don't have a boot that fits you pretty darn well out of the box don't be tempted to buy an OK boot just to save money. In the long run you won't be as happy.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
@Mike Mullen - I don't know any specifics about the shops in Tahoe City, but maybe someone else can make a recommendation. To @Andy Mink's point, a professional bootfitter will take a close look at your foot, your gait, your motion/mobility, and several other things. Then they'll select a few boots based on your foot shape and how you tell them you ski. Given that it's late in the season, don't be surprised if they only bring out one or two options - they may have other boots in your size, but they may not match your foot or your skill.

You are your own biggest advocate. Ask a lot of questions. If you are unsure about the fit of the boot, it's ok to say so and leave and try another shop. Don't compromise based on price or availability. Getting boots that fit and don't pinch or hurt will make your experience much more enjoyable.

And as I said, I went to Buck at Olympic, which is on the Squaw access road. (And that was after trying two other shops that didn't have boots that worked for me.) You should definitely check out Blue Zone Sports in Truckee, which is where @Philpug and @Tricia work - they have some quality fitters there.

Does anyone else in Tahoe want to make some recommendations for specific fitters in Truckee or Tahoe City?

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
but they may not match your foot
Don't be afraid to try boots that may be good for your skill level but initially may not seem to be logical choices for your foot. There was no way I was going to fit in Head Raptor 140s. Guess what I ski in? I tried on a Raptor 120 for giggles and they worked. Too soft, so got the 140s. The left boot was perfect out of the box except for the cuff needing to be stretched and canting done. The right boot needed some punches, cuff stretch, and cant.

Sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story. You're the buyer; don't be afraid to try something that may not be on the fitter's radar.

Prosper

This is the way.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Depending on the shape of your foot expect it to take anywhere from 1-3 hours. If you need extensive work on your boots you might need to leave them with your bootfitter for a few days. Also, unless your bootfitter has a previous year's model you'll likely pay close to retail price for your boots. It's well worth it. Don't pick a worse fitting boot just because it's cheaper. Save money on any and all other ski equipment/clothing. Don't skimp on boots.