• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

salomon x12 lab vs atomic x12 var binding

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am searching for the right binding for a used ski that I recently purchased online (Stockli laser sl fis).
The skis came with a stockli race plate and previous owner had a atomic x20 binding on it.
So I thought atomic x12/x16 VAR bindings should be compatible with the stockli race plate as the previous owner had the atomic binding.
But I was told from two different Stockli service representatives that only salomon x12/x16 lab bindings would fit to the plate.
So I asked around online retail stores to purchase if they carry the salomon x12 lab binding.
But this time I was told that salomon doesn't distribute the lab bindings in US and the salmon x12 lab and atomic x12 var is basically the same binding so the atomic x12 should fit to the plate.
Oh well.. Could anyone here clarify this?

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 176

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Same binding. Different paint job.

I have the salomon lab on a pair of SX. Came with the ski. About 8 pairs of Atomic X12/X16/X19 var on various Atomic race skis. They are the same binding. All interchangeable.

From memory, the hole pattern on the front part of the plate does look a bit different from the Atomic plates. I'll check tomorrow and post some pics.

Last edited:

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I was thinking that Salomon and Atomic being sister companies are likely sharing parts. Different branding, same stuff. Have you check some of the Canadian sites that ship to the US? Asogear, Monod's, Corbett's?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you can find some Atomic Metrons or SX:11 with Neox bindings, they will work also. Or of you want to take it up a few notches, some Atomic Neox EBM's.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Same binding. Different paint job.

I have the salomon lab on a pair of SX. Came with the ski. About 8 pairs of Atomic X12/X16/X19 var on various Atomic race skis. They are the same binding. All interchangeable.

From memory, the hole pattern on the front part of the plate does look a bit different from the Atomic plates. I'll check tomorrow and post some pics.

I would appreciate it if you check your plate with Atomic bindings on to see if their holes are similar to mine. Thanks!!

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was thinking that Salomon and Atomic being sister companies are likely sharing parts. Different branding, same stuff. Have you check some of the Canadian sites that ship to the US? Asogear, Monod's, Corbett's?

That's what I thought but the Stocklis guys affirmatively told me that only Salomin lab binding would fit to their racing plate..
That's why I confused..
I will definite check out the Canadian sites. Thank you for you suggestion!

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you can find some Atomic Metrons or SX:11 with Neox bindings, they will work also. Or of you want to take it up a few notches, some Atomic Neox EBM's.

Thank you for you comments! I will have a look! I never though about the Neox bindings..

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am very busy today and tomorrow.
I will get some pics and dimension on the X var binding and the atomic plate on Sunday.

My SX is currently in VT. I did remount them 2 years back and thought they were just like the X var.
If the last guy had X20 var on there the other X vars should fit. I do not have any experience with the X20 var. Only X12/16/19. Those all have the same mounting pattern. The Neox binding have different mounting hole pattern to the X var.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I am very busy today and tomorrow.
I will get some pics and dimension on the X var binding and the atomic plate on Sunday.

My SX is currently in VT. I did remount them 2 years back and thought they were just like the X var.
If the last guy had X20 var on there the other X vars should fit. I do not have any experience with the X20 var. Only X12/16/19. Those all have the same mounting pattern. The Neox binding have different mounting hole pattern to the X var.

Thank you so much!!! Looking to seeing your plates!

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have an X plate here somewheres if that would help? Also have a NEOX jig if you wish to compare differences.

Yes! That will really help me find out whether I can safely go with the Atomic X var binding.
I just want to make sure if both Stockli racing plate and the atomic plate have the same holes for the Atomic X var bindings.
Thank you so much in advance!!

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I just checked the Atomic plate. The mounting hole patterns is the same as your Stockli plate. The only difference is the Atomic plate has two completed sets of mounting holes in the front part. That allows the front track to be mounted at different locations for additional adjustment.

Will post pics and measurements on Sunday after the locusts have left town.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just checked the Atomic plate. The mounting hole patterns is the same as your Stockli plate. The only difference is the Atomic plate has two completed sets of mounting holes in the front part. That allows the front track to be mounted at different locations for additional adjustment.

Will post pics and measurements on Sunday after the locusts have left town.

Oh that sounds great! Thank you so much!!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t know if this will be of any help, but this is what a Salomon Race Lab X16 on raceplate looks like. A few seasons old, so it might have changed.
EF0199F1-7E42-416C-9C1F-6C63EE7C15F8.jpeg
50846853-AE8E-4723-828E-E64409DCAB7A.jpeg
852EA968-4AFA-4D5A-B54D-5256702DC4A0.jpeg

Last edited:

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The plate swede’s ski is a Atomic plate. You can tell by the notch in front.

The plate on my Stockli SX has a squared off front. I don’t have that ski here in NYC. Can’t say what that plate actually looks like underneath the binding.

A1.jpg

The three skis on the left and the SL ski on the far right all have X VAR or LAB binding on them. The plates are slightly different but they all mount in the the same manner.

Rather than giving you a bunch of measurements and end up confusing everyone involved. I figure I’ll take apart one of the mounted X16 VAR binding on an Atomic plate so everything can make more sense. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I have checked both a new X12 VAR with a mounted X16 VAR and they appear the same from a mounting stand point. Different toe and heel units otherwise the rest of the binding are the same. To make life easier for me, I will do the breakdown with the mounted X16.

#1 - Binding in box - X12 VAR.
1.jpg

#2 - Single binding parts - X16 VAR.
2.jpg

#3 - Ski with binding - Atomic FIS SL, X16 VAR binding, Atomic Plate.
3.jpg

#4 - Full view of entire track with heel & toe unit removed. Showing tracks and brake.
4.jpg

#5 - Close up of heel track section with brake unit still on. Note the Four (04) mounting screws for the track.
5.jpg

#6 - Close up of ski brake retracted. Showing mounting screw for brake assembly.
6.jpg

#6A - View of entire track with heel unit, toe unit and brake removed. Showing tracks only.
6A.jpg

#7 - Close of heel track section with brake removed.
7.jpg

#8 – Close up of plate at heel with track removed.
8.jpg

#9 - Close up of toe track section. Note the three (03) mounting screws in a triangular pattern. Also note the front of this plate is yellow.
9.jpg

#10 - Close up of plate with toe track removed.
10.jpg

#11 – View of entire plate. Currently utilized holes marked with paint. (8 holes total)
11.jpg

#12 - Rear section of plate. Currently utilized holes marked with paint. (5 holes)
12.jpg

#13 - Rear section of plate. Measurements between brake mounting hole and the two sets of rear track mounting holes. (68 mm & 150 mm – both numbers are critical)
13.jpg

#14 - Rear section of plate. Lateral distant between front set of mounting holes for rear track. (32 mm± - Critical)
14.jpg

#14A - Rear section of plate. Lateral distant between back set of mounting holes for rear track. (32 mm± Critical)
14A.jpg

#15 - Front section of plate. Currently utilized holes marked with paint. (3 holes)
15.jpg

#16 - Front section of plate. Measurement between two rear holes. (35 mm± Critcial)
16.jpg

#17 - Front section of plate. Measurement between center hole and lateral centerline of two rear mounting holes. (36 mm - Critical)
17.jpg

#18 - Mid-section of the plate. Distance between lateral centerline of front track rear mounting holes and the front brake mounting hole. (235 mm – Not really that important)
18.jpg

As far as I can tell, your Stockli plate looks compatible with the X12 VAR. The hole patterns at rear track area of the plate looks the same. The three mounting holes in a triangular pattern appears to the there on your plate. If the measurements pan out. You are good to go.
Looks like the primary difference between the your Stockli plate and the Atomic plate appears mainly in the number of locations the front track can be mounted. The number of rear track mount locations appears to be the same.

TS
T

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
The plate swede’s ski is a Atomic plate. You can tell by the notch in front.

The plate on my Stockli SX has a squared off front. I don’t have that ski here in NYC. Can’t say what that plate actually looks like underneath the binding.

View attachment 79107

The three skis on the left and the SL ski on the far right all have X VAR or LAB binding on them. The plates are slightly different but they all mount in the the same manner.

Rather than giving you a bunch of measurements and end up confusing everyone involved. I figure I’ll take apart one of the mounted X16 VAR binding on an Atomic plate so everything can make more sense. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I have checked both a new X12 VAR with a mounted X16 VAR and they appear the same from a mounting stand point. Different toe and heel units otherwise the rest of the binding are the same. To make life easier for me, I will do the breakdown with the mounted X16.

#1 - Binding in box - X12 VAR.
View attachment 79087

#2 - Single binding parts - X16 VAR.
View attachment 79088

#3 - Ski with binding - Atomic FIS SL, X16 VAR binding, Atomic Plate. View attachment 79089

#4 - Full view of entire track with heel & toe unit removed. Showing tracks and brake.
View attachment 79090

#5 - Close up of heel track section with brake unit still on. Note the Four (04) mounting screws for the track.
View attachment 79091

#6 - Close up of ski brake retracted. Showing mounting screw for brake assembly.
View attachment 79092

#6A - View of entire track with heel unit, toe unit and brake removed. Showing tracks only.
View attachment 79093

#7 - Close of heel track section with brake removed.
View attachment 79094

#8 – Close up of plate at heel with track removed.
View attachment 79095

#9 - Close up of toe track section. Note the three (03) mounting screws in a triangular pattern. Also note the front of this plate is yellow.
View attachment 79096

#10 - Close up of plate with toe track removed.
View attachment 79097

#11 – View of entire plate. Currently utilized holes marked with paint. (8 holes total)
View attachment 79098

#12 - Rear section of plate. Currently utilized holes marked with paint. (5 holes)
View attachment 79099

#13 - Rear section of plate. Measurements between brake mounting hole and the two sets of rear track mounting holes. (68 mm & 150 mm – both numbers are critical)
View attachment 79100

#14 - Rear section of plate. Lateral distant between front set of mounting holes for rear track. (32 mm± - Critical)
View attachment 79101

#14A - Rear section of plate. Lateral distant between back set of mounting holes for rear track. (32 mm± Critical)
View attachment 79102

#15 - Front section of plate. Currently utilized holes marked with paint. (3 holes)
View attachment 79103

#16 - Front section of plate. Measurement between two rear holes. (35 mm± Critcial)
View attachment 79104

#17 - Front section of plate. Measurement between center hole and lateral centerline of two rear mounting holes. (36 mm - Critical)
View attachment 79105

#18 - Mid-section of the plate. Distance between lateral centerline of front track rear mounting holes and the front brake mounting hole. (235 mm – Not really that important)
View attachment 79106

As far as I can tell, your Stockli plate looks compatible with the X12 VAR. The hole patterns at rear track area of the plate looks the same. The three mounting holes in a triangular pattern appears to the there on your plate. If the measurements pan out. You are good to go.
Looks like the primary difference between the your Stockli plate and the Atomic plate appears mainly in the number of locations the front track can be mounted. The number of rear track mount locations appears to be the same.

WOW..I didn't really expect this level of details.. You have all my respect sir!!!
It's very informative, easy to understand and it indeed gives me a excellent guidance on how to assemble the binding!!!
(I know how to adjust DIN and forward pressure but never assemble the bindings myself before..)

I cross checked the measurement and confirmed that all the numbers are exact match except the distance in #18 photo!!.
I measured it as 227mm but I think it's not that critical as you mentioned.

So it's all cleared and I can safely go with Atomic bindings!!
(I still don't understand why the Stockili guys insisted that only Salomon lab binding would be compatible..Presumably they might just keep saying what's in their manual..)
By any chance do you have used X12 Var binding that you want to let go? :)

Anyway I truly appreciate for all your comments and help!!
And I am so jealous of your collections of ski..lol~~
Thank you Sir!

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 160

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
By any chance do you have used X12 Var binding that you want to let go? :)

Anyway I truly appreciate for all your comments and help!!
And I am so jealous of your collections of ski..lol~~
Thank you Sir!

Good to hear that it fits.
Sorry, no used X12. My son and I preferred X16. We normally run our DIN at 10-12 for free skiing. The X16s are a better fit. The new X12 is for Mamie's new FIS SL.

About the quiver, that is only part of it. Still working on it. :D

Enjoy your Stockli.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
KG, just for completeness, the X20 toe mount is different in that it uses 4 screws (or 5!) on the front plate rather than 3. the speed ski plates normally have the 5 holes - as can be seen on the OPs pictures of the Stockli plate in the first post - and there is not alternate toe plate positions on the speed ski plate. Some, but not all, of the tech ski plates only have the 3 hole toe mounts, so not always possible to mount an X20 on a slalom ski. in recent years they have also had the alternate toe positions you show for different boot lengths but some earlier versions of the plate did not have the option second position with the toe mount.

And yes, all the salomon and atomic X series bindings SHOULD be interchangeable although I have come across one instance where everything looked the same BUT for some reason the flange/rails that protrude from the bottom sides of the the heel piece that slides in the track was thicker and would only fit the track that came with it. Never worked out why it was different and only once that I found it, so unlikely to come across it normally and would only impact if you tried to slide the binding onto previously mounted toe/heel slides.

Last edited:

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've just bought a pair of salomon skis with x12 bindings fitted - interested in the "var" aspect of the bindings- I can't seem to find much info on it. Is the standard position for a 325 bsl (4) ? My boots click in fine and the forward pressure indicator seems OK, but the var arrow is in front of the "4" . Is this adjustment to change the feel of the skis? Obviously I'd prefer to start off from standard position. Does the screw in the white part of the binding need to be loosened to operate the lever at the front of the binding ?
Thanks for any help .

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've just bought a pair of salomon skis with x12 bindings fitted - interested in the "var" aspect of the bindings- I can't seem to find much info on it. Is the standard position for a 325 bsl (4) ? My boots click in fine and the forward pressure indicator seems OK, but the var arrow is in front of the "4" . Is this adjustment to change the feel of the skis? Obviously I'd prefer to start off from standard position. Does the screw in the white part of the binding need to be loosened to operate the lever at the front of the binding ?
Thanks for any help .

A pic of your binding can help us color blind folks. :ogcool:

If you are referring to the the screw between the toe and heel pieces. The answer is no.
Pushing the lever in front of the toe piece will allow you to move the binding fore and aft without any other action.
Well lubricated tracks will facilitate the sliding action.

Position 4 is where I usually start with a pair of ski. There are different length plates available. I have had issues with small BSL and longer plates. On one pair with a small boot (265 BSL), best I can do was position 5 without any additional work.

Sponsor

Staff online