• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
That is actually a very good price for them. Regular Warden 13's are $259.00. I'd stock up if I was you.
They’re the ’19 not the ‘20 and I picked up a pair. Is there much of a difference? They look nearly identical.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
They’re the ’19 not the ‘20 and I picked up a pair. Is there much of a difference? They look nearly identical.

The year numbers on the box and colorways are the only differences.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Philpug
Where can I purchase additional demo plates for the Warden 13's? Just got new skis with the demo's and would like to be able to use on multiple different skis?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Philpug
Where can I purchase additional demo plates for the Warden 13's? Just got new skis with the demo's and would like to be able to use on multiple different skis?
Sorry, but they do not sell just the tracks. I don't think any binding company does.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well now- that's a bad attitude...
understandable, but....
Honestly, what is the upside for them to? All it can bring in is minimal profit and maximum liability.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Honestly, what is the upside for them to? All it can bring in is minimal profit and maximum liability.

I mean, I get that there is no benefit to them -- as all it does is reduce potential profits by allowing people to buy tracks instead of bindings.

But isn't it pretty clear that they are only liable for function/safety when installed and adjusted by a manufacturer certified shop?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
But isn't it pretty clear that they are only liable for function/safety when installed and adjusted by a manufacturer certified shop?
But to say that it is OK for un certified consumer to move and adjust bindings from one ski to another could open them up to litigation. For the $99 (or so) that they would sell a set of tracks for? Just not worth it. Plus, think about how many they would acually sell...past the zealots that read sites like this? Tens of them.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, VIST Speedlock?

But ok, I’d settle for a Shift AFD redesign after 4? long years of complaints already. Got to be more liability in that.

Anyway, my tracks were damaged by a groomer..
How can I get replacements?

Last edited:

Egika

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
The benefit is easy to see. It could bring them additional market share.
If I can use my Salomon Bindung on two or more different skis, I am likely to buy Salomon in the forst place and not Marker or something else.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
No, it would be bring additional shares, because they would not be selling a binding, just a plate. If Salomon was interested in "market share" all of their bindings would be branded as Salomon bindings, not Salomon, Atomic, Armada and even Stockli which divides their shares. IMHO, they should, I think it would be clearer to the consumer, that is one of the reasons Look brought all the brands back under one label.
If I can use my Salomon Bindung on two or more different skis, I am likely to buy Salomon in the forst place and not Marker or something else.
You can. Why would you not buy another Salomon over say a Marker or something else? You cannot buy addition plates for their bindings either. But also with any system binding such as these , you are costing yourself a bit of performance.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

There is a good point here. If a binding manufacturer were to come out with a binding system that made it simple to adjust the binding delta (easily adjust toe and heel heights), provided a simple interface to attach the binding to the ski (call it a plate or whatever), and embraced selling the attachment interface separately for additional skis... I would jump on that in a heartbeat. They could charge a bit of a premium on the binding, but keep the attachment interfaces reasonable. I bet this could take the market by storm and would force the hands of the remaining binding manufacturers to compete. This is all assuming of course that it's a good performing binding and interface.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
You are over looking one key point and that is that while I would guess that the majority of posters on SkiTalk own several pairs of skis, the vast majority of the skiing public only own one pair of skis. So the market for using the same toe and heel piece on several pairs of skis is limited.

The other issue is trying to sell a used ski without a binding, just a plate (or no plate or binding) is going to prove difficult.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a good point here. If a binding manufacturer were to come out with a binding system that made it simple to adjust the binding delta (easily adjust toe and heel heights), provided a simple interface to attach the binding to the ski (call it a plate or whatever), and embraced selling the attachment interface separately for additional skis. I would jump on that in a heartbeat. They could charge a bit of a premium on the binding, but keep the attachment interfaces reasonable. I bet this could take the market by storm and would force the hands of the remaining binding manufacturers to compete. This is all assuming of course that it's a good performing binding and interface.
That would be utopia. But since we don't live in Utopia, its not going to happen. You say the world need this but the world does not want it. There are maybe tens of people who will truly benefit from this, half are sponsored and do not pay for their gear, a third will wait for it to go on sale and the rest have a binding loyalty You are talking about adding more weight, complexity and a disconnect and still with performance to the ski and keep the interfaces reasonable? How many peices of gear have you walked into a shop and bought at regular price in the past 5 years? Not on sale, not on closeout, not via a connection?

We are talking a segment of the industry that is right above poles in that the average retail paying consumer does not even want to think about and is more concerned wit what color matches the ski more than what brake width does.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The other issue is trying to sell a used ski without a binding, just a plate (or no plate or binding) is going to prove difficult.
The closes to this was Blizzard's IQ/IQ Max system that was pretty darn good and winner if numerous awards. Where is that now?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a good point here. If a binding manufacturer were to come out with a binding system that made it simple to adjust the binding delta (easily adjust toe and heel heights), provided a simple interface to attach the binding to the ski (call it a plate or whatever), and embraced selling the attachment interface separately for additional skis... I would jump on that in a heartbeat. They could charge a bit of a premium on the binding, but keep the attachment interfaces reasonable. I bet this could take the market by storm and would force the hands of the remaining binding manufacturers to compete. This is all assuming of course that it's a good performing binding and interface.

Hell, I'd be happy in a utopia that had all the deltas of the bindings consists from brand to brand, let alone model to model within that brand. Your delta is not the binding brands problem. Figure your the delta you need, they buy the binding that is best suited for it. Not only are you not the norm, you barely qualify as an exception. ;)

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
You are over looking one key point and that is that while I would guess that the majority of posters on SkiTalk own several pairs of skis, the vast majority of the skiing public only own one pair of skis. So the market for using the same toe and heel piece on several pairs of skis is limited.

The ratio of people I know who own multiple pairs of alpine skis to people who post on pugski is approximately 100:1.

I get that forum goes are not representative of the market. But there are far far far more stoked, gear-whoring skiers out there than those who post about it online.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I get that forum goes are not representative of the market. But there are far far far more stoked, gear-whoring skiers out there than those who post about it online.
and far far less caring about caring about the binding than there are who post about it online.

Sponsor

Staff online